Phone Wires Headache

stupidfalang

Hi,

This morning I got my long due telephone line...

The phone company connected the wire at one of my electricity poles, from there on it’s up to me to get the extension to my house that stands about 30m further. Is there anybody who knows of wireless device to get the signal to my house?

If possible I prefer not to screw up my garden by phone wires hanging around.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

There are wireless solutions - however they will require a power supply and we are not talking about solar cells.

Suggest you investigate a nice route to allow the wire to run across the garden or dig a trench and lay a water pipe to house the cables.

I can offer contact details of a firm that will run cables if required.

I don’t quite understand this. The phone company did not run the phone up to your house? Normally they have a little junction box on your house wall and from there It’s up to you to get the line inside, though when they fitted mine I paid 50bt for a little socket box that he fitted inside.

If you do have to run your own wires why not just follow the electric cables to your house.

:o

The electric cables runs underground and the builder “Forgot” to include a phone wire. This means digging and breaking again...

We have the power (220V) supply where the cable is and also shelter as I build a kind of a store room just under that pole. That’s why I was thinking on a wireless device but don’t know if this exists and how reliable it is, it must also support the internet connection.

Cuban, a company who runs wires is most welcome. All suggestions are appreciated, Thanks.

There are only two active wires ... So just buy a roll of two core (figure eight) wire

or better still, Flat Twin double insulated house wiring cable and do it yourself. :o

Naka.

Edited by naka

The problem is, around the house there is a 2.5m tiled/concrete area.

Underground wiring requires running the wire about 20m through the garden which doesn’t poses to much of a headache, it’s the tiled are that has to be broken up that scares me.

That’s why I was thinking about the wireless device. Thanks always.

Hi,

This morning I got my long due telephone line...

The phone company connected the wire at one of my electricity poles, from there on it’s up to me to get the extension to my house that stands about 30m further. Is there anybody who knows of wireless device to get the signal to my house?

If possible I prefer not to screw up my garden by phone wires hanging around.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Thai fixed lines phone service providers (TOT, True,T.T&T) are mandated to provide the fixed line to an/Their "Over-voltage surge arrester/ protection device" your premises, this device should be earthed. This device protects you and your equipment against lightning strike on, or high voltage induction/transienst that can occur on your line. Without this device fitted you and your equipment are extremely vulnerable. If your phone company is telling you that it is up to you to connect to your premises they are lying to you. If you do not like overhead wiring to yr premises you could get a private contractor/yourself to install underground conduit along with an inverted "U" tube at each end and with a pull-cord throughout so the phone company can install the mandated "Dropwire from their "Distribution Point" to their "Surge Arrester" fixed to your premises.

You are responsible for any wiring from that point on.

OK, with more info it is easier to discuss options.

It is possible to install a wireless extender system based on this type of technology (Note. This supplier no longer carries the item.) that "should" function over the 30 meter gap you need to bridge. If there are performance issues you might be able to improve operation using some shielding (tin foil / opened out tin cans) to reduce interferance from other sources of RF noise. This type of connection is designed for voice audio frequencies, this is the same as those used by dial up modem tones for computer connections. You would not be able to establish an ADSL connection across such a wireless connection like this.

Maybe your solution is to go wireless for both Phone and ADSL, install a wireless telephone base station and wireless Internet router in your outdoor cupboard then use the remote telephone handsets and a wireless card in your computer.

Heat and ingress of the elements might have an adverse affect on this equipment housed outside, even under shelter. Security would also be an issue in my mind.

Although running a cable is the best option. When the power cables were installed - did they lay a pipe into which the cable was run or was it planted in the soil? :o

I hope the former - in which case you need to play the game of sucking (vacuum) a small tuft of cotton wool tied to a cotton thread through the pipe, use that to pull through a light string (more steps if required) then a suitable telephone cable - leave a run of string in the pipe for the future. Yes, I have done this myself in the past.

Although this is a short run I would suggest getting hold of some telephone grade cable, so as to match the impedance and capacitance of the telephone line. Although this is unlikely to be of great importance given the quaility of the rest of the connection links between home and the exchange.

Personally if the pipe option was not availible to me in this situation I would dig the trench and lay one.

My cabling contact runs CCTV, phone and data lines above ground, I am not aware if he does underground work - if you still want it I will PM you his details. Over ground links would be about 40 Baht per meter for the cable plus 600 Baht per half day labor.

Thanks for the advice guys. Really appreciated.

I found 1 box of the tiles and so will start breaking and digging again. Getting almost used to it...

For all the ones buying/building houses check this little details, it a headache to fix it later and your contractor is long gone with the wind by then.