Reality Of 'full Insurance' On Car Hire

LivinginKata

This is an old old warning. Hiring a car with 'full insurance' continues to be a worthless claim when dealin with the roadside guys.

One of my guests hired a nearly new small Toyota car. Contract stated only 5,000 baht liability in event of accident damage. He has an accident and owner demands 70,000 baht for repairs, and wants the car back for repairs on the hirer's paid rental time. My guest's girl friend negotiates the 70,000 down to 30,000 which my guest (stupidly) paid. My wife points out the 5,000 baht clause in contract, phones up the owner, and owner boldly states the he does not actually have full insurance and that the contract means nothing to him. Customer must pay all damages regardless on contract.

When will folks learn not to rent from these small roadside independant cowboys ??

Anyone who uses these street hirers deserve everything they get !!

Would you hire a car from someone at the side of the road in your home country ? No you wouldnt, so why would you do it here ? :o

Yes, that's the problem. Smiling faces, no problem, full insurance, blah blah. People do get sucked in so easily. I can't really understand as these days the roadside guys are almost the same price as the major hire companies. Yet all these guys on Patong beach are still doing a roaring trade.

The golden rule is don't give your passport (only copy) and DO NOT pay any accident claims, other than the contracted excess, which is usually 5,000 baht. If he does not hold your passport then all the owner can do is threaten to break your legs if you don't pay up. Charming people ....

LivinginKata is right about these roadside car hire guys.

Cars & motorbikes you hire are 99% Not insured "for you." If you have an accident, you pay.

A friend of mine had an accident on phuket. He hired a jeep and reversed into a concrete post.

He went to see how much the repairs would cost him and was shocked when quoted 30K.

So he took another weeks hire of the jeep, left it at the airport car park in phuket.

Just before boarding his international flight home, he phones the car hire guy to collect the jeep at the airport car park.

Boater is right to suggest deal with companies who have full insurance, and have a good safe holiday.

Ted.

P.S Don’t forget you must have a Thai or international driving licence, otherwise your insurance is void .