Getting Married To A Thai In The Uk

I am just starting to plan my marriage to my Thai fiancé and we would like to get married in the UK. However, having looked at the General Registrar Office website (www.gro.gov.uk) it seems like a very lengthy process.

From what I can see, we would both have to be in the country for 7 days before giving notice of marriage. We would then have to wait another 16 days before being able to go ahead with the ceremony.

So either we both have to take a month off work to spend in the UK or we have to make two separate visits.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this and whether there was a simpler way (getting married in Thailand is not an option for me).

(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a full search but couldn’t find anything)

It is a long time since I was married but I needed some paperwork stating that I was able to marry freely and they would not give it to me earlier than their stipulated rules even though I had to courier the said paperwork to Tokyo. That may have been one or two weeks delay I cannot remember. I do remember that they would not give it to me at 5pm on a Friday when they closed but rather I had to go back on Saturday morning.

However, is there any reason why it has to be in the UK ? If it is for a ceremony then you can have that without the legality and just marry at the amphur.

We plan to marry in the UK.

Your Thai fiancee should be resident in the UK 7 days prior to giving notice, as proof of this the registrer asks you to confirm this in writing.

You yourself if living in the UK, can take a long your bank statement or a utility bill with your UK address. If you cannot provide these because you do not live in the UK then you will also need to be resident in the UK 7 days prior to giving notice.

Your Thai fiancee will need to show her faincee visa.

You both will need to show your passports.

After giving notice, I'm not sure if you have to spend the next 16 days in the UK after which of course you can get married.

Regards

A

I am just starting to plan my marriage to my Thai fiancé and we would like to get married in the UK. However, having looked at the General Registrar Office website (www.gro.gov.uk) it seems like a very lengthy process.

From what I can see, we would both have to be in the country for 7 days before giving notice of marriage. We would then have to wait another 16 days before being able to go ahead with the ceremony.

So either we both have to take a month off work to spend in the UK or we have to make two separate visits.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this and whether there was a simpler way (getting married in Thailand is not an option for me Why?).

(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a full search but couldn't find anything)

We plan to marry in the UK.

Your Thai fiancee should be resident in the UK 7 days prior to giving notice, as proof of this the registrer asks you to confirm this in writing.

You yourself if living in the UK, can take a long your bank statement or a utility bill with your UK address. If you cannot provide these because you do not live in the UK then you will also need to be resident in the UK 7 days prior to giving notice.

Your Thai fiancee will need to show her faincee visa.

You both will need to show your passports.

After giving notice, I'm not sure if you have to spend the next 16 days in the UK after which of course you can get married.

Regards

A

Thanks ArranP. I just checked this with GRO and we don't have to stay for 16 days. We could come back on a second visit up to 12 months later. So either stay for 23 days or make two visits.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience with this and whether there was a simpler way (getting married in Thailand is not an option for me Why?).

(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a full search but couldn't find anything)

Why?

Well I know lots of Westerners do get married in Thailand but I'm not keen for two reasons. Firstly as I don't speak much Thai and don't even live in Thailand, I don't want to feel alienated from my own wedding. Can't face having to make vows in Thai and so on.

Secondly I don't want our marriage certificate to be in Thai as we don't plan to live in Thailand after we are married. I know its simple enough to get it translated into Engalish but what if we go to live in Brazil or Japan Getting a Thai/Portuguese or a Thai/Japanese translator might be more difficult.

I think Plan B is Singapore.

Why?

Well I know lots of Westerners do get married in Thailand but I'm not keen for two reasons. Firstly as I don't speak much Thai and don't even live in Thailand, I don't want to feel alienated from my own wedding. Can't face having to make vows in Thai and so on.

Secondly I don't want our marriage certificate to be in Thai as we don't plan to live in Thailand after we are married. I know its simple enough to get it translated into Engalish but what if we go to live in Brazil or Japan Getting a Thai/Portuguese or a Thai/Japanese translator might be more difficult.

I think Plan B is Singapore.

Prior to getting married, none of your concerns even entered my head. Each to their own I suppose & good luck with the wedding.