Importing From Thailand To Australia

Hi Guys

I have just started a company and wish to begin to import various things from Thailand to OZ.

1/ Can anyone recommend a good freight forwarding company, in particular going to Adelaide.

2/ I wish to import cow and pig hide carvings, these will obviously need to go through some kind of fumigation for customs. Can anyone explain this process? How is this done and where? I've heard it's much cheaper to do in Thailand before sending rather than get it done in OZ. How much could I expect to pay?

Thanks to anyone that may be able to help.

Regards

Dave

Hi Guys

I have just started a company and wish to begin to import various things from Thailand to OZ.

1/ Can anyone recommend a good freight forwarding company, in particular going to Adelaide.

2/ I wish to import cow and pig hide carvings, these will obviously need to go through some kind of fumigation for customs. Can anyone explain this process? How is this done and where? I've heard it's much cheaper to do in Thailand before sending rather than get it done in OZ. How much could I expect to pay?

Regards

Dave

Have sent you a postmark, Fumigation of the container is organised by the shipping company in Thailand, you will also have a certificate saying this has been done, as once the container is packed and locked in Thailand, you will have a security tag which should not be removed untill you have delivery, only reason it will be removed is if customs have a suspision of counterfit goods and other things. also check the tag number to your paperwork, do not know shiping charges to OZ only UK.

Our resident customs agent Raro will be able to give the best information there.

If he does not reply here send him a PM and he will e able to direct you to the information you need.

The fumigation can be a problem if you are not shipping containers. I have a friend who ships stuff from Indonesia to Oz and he usually gets the fumigation done in Oz, mainly because of the range of products he ships each needing different methods,eg the feather based stuff is treated with a radiation based method rather than chemical as the the feathers do not tolerate the chemicals. This is done in Oz.

It is a wonder Australia allows another country with less than ideal methods and above board practices to do its fumigation at all, or at least not insist on it again at the Australian end.

Why ? Because Australia is free of many diseases present in Thailand and Indonesia and many other countires.

Do you really think they should/would leave this responsibility to incompetent corrupt officials and companies to perform ?

Thanks for the replies so far, am on the move so haven't been able to follow them up.

It is a wonder Australia allows another country with less than ideal methods and above board practices to do its fumigation at all, or at least not insist on it again at the Australian end.

Why ? Because Australia is free of many diseases present in Thailand and Indonesia and many other countires.

Do you really think they should/would leave this responsibility to incompetent corrupt officials and companies to perform ?

MrPaddy you gave no help at all....just some winging and moaning. I am awear of the ability of fumigation treatment overseas because a very large retailer in Australia selling all sorts of wooden artifacts from indonesia has it done in indonesia in container loads. Mr Paddy do you think Australian customs would let it happen if these companies were incompetent! Get over it and dont reply if your not going to give me some useful information! You clearly know nothing about the subject based on your comments above.

I am awear the Australian government has a list of overseas companies in many countries that have been qualified/accepted to treat potentially harmful goods for Australian customs. It is far less expensive to have it done also (depending on the country), but as pointed out above, I wasn't awear there were different kinds of treatment....thought it was all radiation or something.

Thanks Chang_Paarp I will PM Raro.

Anyone else care to comment from experience?

Regards

Dave

Hi Davie, thanks for the PM! How could I miss this thread....

1) We are a freight forwarding company and yes, we can bring cargo to Australia.

2) Fumigation (which refers usually to the Methyl Bromide treatment mentioned before) is a standard process that must be done in Thailand and is required by countless countries all over the world, not only Australia. This can be done for full containers and part loads as well. Whether the fumigation is sufficient or AQIS needs additional treatments I can enquire with our agent in Australia.

Hi Davie, thanks for the PM! How could I miss this thread....

1) We are a freight forwarding company and yes, we can bring cargo to Australia.

2) Fumigation (which refers usually to the Methyl Bromide treatment mentioned before) is a standard process that must be done in Thailand and is required by countless countries all over the world, not only Australia. This can be done for full containers and part loads as well. Whether the fumigation is sufficient or AQIS needs additional treatments I can enquire with our agent in Australia.

Thanks Raro for your response, sounds like you very farmiliar with thi and i am looking for a freight forwarding company. Just getting on a plane right now so will contactyou further in a few days.

Kind regards and thanks to all for your imput.

Dave

Hi Guys

Regards

Dave

hello, i have been exporting from thailand for many years if you email me i can give you the info freight