Us Has Higher Birthrate Than Thailand

disgruntled

From the website cia.gov this comes from the world factbook...

For the United States:

Birth rate:

14.16 births/1,000 population (2007 est.)

For Thailand:

Birth rate:

13.73 births/1,000 population (2007 est.)

Unless I am wrong Thailand has a lower birthrate than the US. Do you believe these statistics?

I would have thought the US would be lower than Thailand. When you go upcountry there seem to be kids all over the place.

Thailand's facts

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...ok/geos/th.html

US facts

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/th...ok/geos/us.html

The birthrate in Thailand has been declining for quite some time. The large, young Issan population that used to fuel the economic boom and provide cheap, expendable labor is largely gone. They are now replaced by immigrants (illegal and legal) from Burma, Cambodia and Laos.

Unless I am wrong Thailand has a lower birthrate than the US. Do you believe these statistics?

Yes I do, as it's confirmed from other sources as well. Thailand has a really, really low birthrate at the moment. Currenlty how many big families do you see.. Sure the 30+ generation still had 4-5-6 brothers and sisters, but this has come to a stop.

It's actually VERY worrying for the future. Usually a country becomes wealthy, educated & safe first, then the birth rate drops. But Thailand is none of those, but with a birth rate lower than some Western countries.

In 15 years time, the bar & karaoke scene will be over. (as low birth rate has been going on for a while).

Yes, I believe it. Years ago, the population agency of the UN reported that birth rates in Thailand, Mexico and China had fallen by more than 50% within 25 years. That trend is probably continuing, or the birth rate here remains below replacement rate. Old people will no longer have the natural support system their ancestors had. The government would like to help, but will probably not do much. Workers will need to work longer, and smarter.

Well, I guess new immigrants to the US tend to have kids so that might account for it. Most all my friends from school in the US have at most one.

Here in Thailand I guess the younger people in their teens and twenties aren't having as many kids. The people I know here in their thirties and forties mostly have at least two or three kids. All the teachers in their thirties at my school have two and the odler teachers two.

I guess a lot of the new immigrants to the US want American babies. Then again some of that US birthrate count goes to foreigners having babies on US soil which become US citizens. It's not much but there are enough to have the term 'anchor baby' coined.