Text And Talk

Does anybody have any experience of taking their TEFL at Text and Talk in Bangkok? They make a lot of appealing statements on their web-site, which on the face of it sound good, but I'm naturally cyncical.

For example, assistance with a Non-imm B visa (before arrival), accomodation and work placement. I'm comparing this against the CELTA that ECC run. The course content looks similar, I'm just weighing up the best one to take.

Ps. I know the CELTA is more internationally recognised.

Does anybody have any experience of taking their TEFL at Text and Talk in Bangkok? They make a lot of appealing statements on their web-site, which on the face of it sound good, but I'm naturally cyncical.

For example, assistance with a Non-imm B visa (before arrival), accomodation and work placement. I'm comparing this against the CELTA that ECC run. The course content looks similar, I'm just weighing up the best one to take.

Ps. I know the CELTA is more internationally recognised.

My personal opinion is that, if you're staying in Thailand, T&T or Tefl would be a better choice than the CELTA.

Not to put down T&T in any way; I have heard they are very good, but why would

anyone limit himself/herself to Thailand only? There are so many other countries out there looking for certified teachers. The countries that are neighbours of Thailand's such as Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia are making leaps and bounds. Not to mention China; which is an unfathomable source of work for potential teachers. I guess it doesn't matter too much whether it's a CELTA or TEFL, but it seems like a certificate that is more accepted worldwide might be better for someone whose scope might go beyond Thailand.

After all, you never know what's ahead.

Color me prejudiced, since I took the T&T course in Chiang Mai, learned a lot, got advice about my visa, and got hired through their office for my first job in Thailand.

The CELTA that ECC runs, as I understand, costs more and doesn't cover the teaching of children.

Yes, it is generally recognized that CELTA is more internationally recognised, so if you're going to make a many-years professional commitment to teaching EFL outside of Thailand, recuiters would recognize the CELTA more than the other certificates. But, once you've taught for a couple of years, it might not matter enough to be worth the difference.

I guess it doesn't matter too much whether it's a CELTA or TEFL, but it seems like a certificate that is more accepted worldwide might be better for someone whose scope might go beyond Thailand.

After all, you never know what's ahead.

I'd say as accepted IMO & IME as any other non-CELTA/Trinity course outside of Thailand/Asia. Bear in mind TEFL courses are generally thought of as a post-grad qualification. So your Japan's and Korea's will mostly care about your degree, the certificate is the icing on the cake (or as the Americans say, the gravy!).

You'll get your Visa no problemo! Accommodation and placement should be fine (although placement can depend on whereabouts you wish to teach IMO and I'd assume the time of the year!).

Edited by kenkannif

Since TnT invites you to come on in and sit in on a class - why not do it? All you'll need is half a day and you'll know if you connect or not, if you find the materials and content of the quality you'd like.

They seem to welcome the sit in - so take them up on it. The course is a serious investment in time and money and career - so the little check out - is worth your time. You wouldn’t buy a car without a test drive would you? Okay, not the perfect analogy – but you know what I mean.

This whole CELTA, TEFL Int'l, TnT, AUA, ECC, etc. thing was debated a while back - you might want to search for that thread. Almost everywhere will substitute one for the other - as long as it has similar classroom and observed teaching hours. As discussed in that thread there are real loyalists who will shoot and kill rather than think that some cert is better than the one they got . . . But, the differences are rather minor - preferences do exist – and are usually surmountable. For example: I sometimes have a problem because I have an M.Ed. and some places want an MATESOL - but I also have a TEFL PGCE - so though some employers have specified the MA - it has never stopped me from landing the job(s) I wanted. Mind you my experience is limited: twelve years of EFL across four countries.

No one else will provide you with as much visa assistance and knowledge as TnT.

Just my opinion. And I do love gravy - on just about everything.

small edit: I think the debate mentioned above was on the Thailand forum of dave's eslcafe.com - you'd do better to look there. BA

Bob, there are some quite big differences between many of the courses, most noticebly maybe, the focus on adults (CELTA) or kids or whatever. Some courses offer more classroom practice or more peer feedback (of great value, in my experience)... One large advantage with CELTA courses is that each course has an inspector come in and make sure the course is being run correctly and consistent with established CELTA Course Guidelines...On the downside, that makes the courses more rigid, with less flexibilty to focus the training more to a particular locality, like Thailand...

T&T offering a chance to sit in on a class is a great idea, and just the offer seems to say they have pretty high confidence in their quality.... And the fact that they seem to focus training more on the likely local market for teachers than CELTA does, makes them of great value to the newbie teacher, in my opinion.

On a separate note, can anybody recommend a good grammer book?

You're more in need of a good spelling book, mate!

Now now, let's be nice! :o

Jack, I've used the trusty "Practical English Usage" by Michael Swan (OUP) for years. It covers just about every grammar problem you're ever likely to meet and is written in clear non technical language.

If you want a book that combines grammar points and exercises then there's "How English Works" by Michael Swan and Catherine Walker (OUP) or the old classic "English Grammar in Use" by Raymond Murphy (CUP).

^ For sure! Although I think T&T include the Raymond Murphy one with their course materials! Swan's book is thought of as the bible of grammar!

This is what the CELTA (or is it Trinity?) recommend (I hope I've spelt everything correctly?):

TEFL books to read:

Teaching Tenses Rosemary Aitken Nelson (publisher).

Learner English Swan & Smith Cambridge

Learning Teaching Scrivener Heinemann

How To Teach English Harmer Longman

A suitable dictionary is also recommended. The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary is good.

Here's are some titles that are informative and helpful.

The Practice of ELT Harmer Longman

Grammar for English Language Teachers Parrot Cambridge

Sound Foundations Underhill Heinman

Dictionary of Language Teaching and Applied Linguistics Longman

Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching Larsen Freeman Oxford

Practical English Usage Swan

And some Robert Ludlum books for me please :o

^ Sorry it's a bit messy and that!

I think you can get most of them here if you try hard enough (we have a pretty good library) I think. DK books is pretty good!

Thanks Nomade, you're a sweetie! Some cheese (the proverbial ham :o ) and sausages would be also most appreciated :D

We've had a few parcels of books sent here, and so far they've not been taxed by customs or anything like that, so maybe that's an option for you?