His Majesty The King Appoints 3 New Privy Councilors

Thaising

THAILAND - FORMER prime minister Surayud Chulanont, who led an army-backed government for more than a year in Thailand, was re-appointed Wednesday as an adviser to King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Former army chief Surayud, 64, had served on the Privy Council until he was tapped to lead the government following a military coup in 2006 against then-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

A royal command released on Wednesday restored his spot on the council.

The leader of the coup, General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, has castigated General Surayud for an unimpressive performance during his 15 months as prime minister.

However, Gen Surayud has been widely credited with steering the country back to democracy without sparking any unrest, despite a series of policy blunders that battered the economy under his watch.

The king also appointed former justice minister Charnchai Likhitjitta and former Supreme Court president Supachai Phungam to the council.

King Bhumibol is the world's longest-reigning monarch, and exerts enormous influence over his subjects, although he has little formal political power.

The head of the Privy Council, General Prem Tinsulanonda, is widely seen as the king's public voice. Thaksin supporters have accused Gen Prem of masterminding the coup. -- AFP

HM the King Appoints 3 New Privy Councilors

His Majesty the King has graciously appointed three new privy councilors, including former Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont.

Since the last appointment of privy councilors on August 16th last year, His Majesty the King has decided to appoint three additional members to the Privy Council.

The first is General Surayud Chulanont, former Prime Minister and former Supreme Commander. General Surayud was appointed Privy Councilor in 2003, but resigned to take the post of premier after the 2006 coup.

The second privy councilor appointed today is Supachai Phu-ngarm, former Region 3 Appeals Court President and former Supreme Court President.

The third appointee is Charchai Likhitjitt, former Region 1 Appeals Court President, former Supreme Court President, and Justice Minister during General Surayud's reign.

The Privy Council is made up of respected individuals, appointed by His Majesty the King, with the duties of acting as His Majesty's advisers and acting in his stead at functions. Most of those appointed are retired military or government officials with a proven track record of honesty and loyalty to the country.

It is considered the greatest honor to be appointed a privy councilor.

The council is currently headed by statesman and former Prime Minister, General Prem Tinsulanonda.

- Thailand Outlook (today)

======================================================

Long Live The King :o

Edited by sriracha john

Surayud rejoins Privy Council

His Majesty the King has re-appointed former Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to the Privy Council. Two new privy councillors are also named in the royal appointments announced on Tuesday. They are former Justice Minister Charnchai Likitjitta and former senior judge Supachai Phungam. Surayud, now 65, was prime minister from Oct 1, 2006 to Jan 29, 2008. Mr Charnchai, 62, served as Justice Minister in the Surayud government. A former president of the Supreme Court, he graduated as a bachelor of law with honours from Thammasat University. He received his barrister-at-law certificate from the Thai Bar Association. Mr Supachai, 63, began his career in 1972 as an assistant judge. He also graduated as a bachelor of law with honours from Thammasat University and received his barrister-at-law certificate from the Thai Bar Association. He was appointed president of the Region 3 Appeal Court in 2002, and became President of the Supreme Court from Oct 1, 2003 to Sept 30, 2004.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/10Apr2008_news11.php

Edited by sriracha john

surayud.jpg

Surayud Chulanont

p35.jpg

Supachai Phu-ngarm

charnchai.jpg

Charchai Likhitjitt

:o

Congratulations to all three. Although I might not have agreed with the Coup in concept, I believe Surayud did a commendable job in maintaining a very low profile in difficult times, allowing the country to slowly find it's way back to democracy. I trust and believe in His Magesty's choice, I hope the three new members can provide HRH with wise consultancy.

I trust and believe in His Majesty's choice, I hope the three new members can provide HRH with wise consultancy.

Considering the ultimate role of the Privy Council, which goes beyond providing sage advise to HRH, I do hope that in that ultimate role they will also make the wisest choice for the Kingdom.

FORMER prime minister Surayud Chulanont, who led an army-backed government for more than a year in Thailand, was re-appointed Wednesday as an adviser to King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

Wow.

Well.. no comment, I guess, it's obvious enough as it reads right here.

I trust and believe in His Majesty's choice, I hope the three new members can provide HRH with wise consultancy.

Considering the ultimate role of the Privy Council, which goes beyond providing sage advise to HRH, I do hope that in that ultimate role they will also make the wisest choice for the Kingdom.

As you rightly say the Privy Council have enormous powers. The continuity of the countries Monarch is one of those powers.