Songkran In Pattaya

naka

Security of Tourists assured for Songkran

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism and Sports Ministry and private bodies are preparing security measures and emergency plans for tourists' peace of mind during the Songkran period.

The ministry is working with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), the Tourist Police, television and radio operators, hospitals, the Land Transport Department and private volunteers to initiate security measures during the annual festival, scheduled for April 13-15.

Minister Weerasak Kowsurat said the group had set up tourist assistance centres in Bangkok and all major provinces to deal with emergencies and calls for assistance. The centres will operate around the clock.

Yesterday the agencies started delivering travel guidebooks and tourist information to travellers at major transport access areas, including airports and bus terminals.

"This year, we will be providing 50,000 tourism information kits to visitors," said Weerasak.

He said 75 tourist attractions nationwide had been recommended for local people to visit, while 13 provinces are highlighted as good places to travel to.

The TAT will spend Bt40 million on supporting events across the country and predicts that local people will spend Bt4.1 billion during this year's festival.

Asked if more Thai people are planning to go overseas, Weerasak said the trend was not a concern as it could be good for tourism generally as people tended to exchange ideas and learn about other cultures.

Bang Saen and Pattaya will have Songkran festivals later than the rest of the country.

The Bang Saen festival is set for April 16-17 at Bang Saen beach in Chon Buri province. A competition to determine the most artistic sand pagoda will take centre stage with more than 100 miniature pagodas sculptured from sand.

The Pattaya festival is set for April 17-20.

-- The Nation 2008-04-10

I understood the last "Wet" day in Pattaya would be on the 19th, has this changed ?

Naka.

17th to the 20th are the regional days going from North to South. 18th is Naklua, 19th Pattaya. Not sure about the other 2, 17th would be either Chonburi or Sri Racha, and 20th is either Ban Saen or Sattahip.

Pattaya still the 19th - beach road closed 9am to 10pm, but I think the 20th will still be wet.

Edited by sweetchariot

Normally 18th is Naklua, 19th is Pattaya...

:o

Like that really means anything. Pattaya (including Naklua and Jomtien) will start on the earliest official observed date anywhere in the country and will end on 20th.

For those that dislike what this has become in Pattaya, it will mean a longer vacation out if town or more inconvenience and enforced time at home.

For those that participate, it means you better have loads of energy and a backup 'supersoaker' or whatever your preferred water dispenser may be.

Have fun but please be safe and respectful.

During the more then 10 years I have lived here the big day in pattaya was on the 19th.Usually it starts the 11th at night but I have never seen some waterthrowing after the 19th at night time.As far as I know you can actually be fined by police for playing water on 20 april.Ofcourse it might be different this year.

I think 17 would be Banglamung and 20 Jomtien. Anyway it's all academic because in reality the whole week is one big wet chaos here :o

Anyone have any idea regarding inexpensive lodging accomodations availability from April 17th to 20th. Am thinking of joining the fun but if there is no room at the inn. Thanks in advance. :D