De-forestation Reclaiming Land

gwynt

Hi

We were about to buy another 37 rai of land with only paper number one, my wife's quote, the land has not been used for a few years, six rai has a lot of nor mai and quite large trees. The seller was prepared to knock down the asking for us to clear, my wife done some digging around, family is quite big in local politics and her uncle pointed out that there may be a problem as the government are taking back land to try to reverse de-forestation.

Have anyone else heard of this or is only local to our area,Loei.

Gwynt

When Thailand banned logging and locked up remaining forests into National Parks, severe restrictions were placed on logging of private land as well, I believe there are very severe penalties for logging private land without permission.

gwynt: This type of land, and land paper, has been discussed a few times on TV, its been going on for years in various forms. The tree huggers, etc are pushing the powers that be, to revoke and return to the natural state, land that has been used, for farming, homesteads, guest houses, etc, via questionable documents over the past few years. There are several people being brought to task for encroachment of public lands etc, in the legal system now. The land offices, forest department and others have been accused of a lot of legal sidesteping, etc. It seems these lands are coming under the public and hense the legal system microscope, get excellant legal advice prior to getting involved. My humble openion on this type of land deal, if a politician is involved, be very careful.

gwynt: This type of land, and land paper, has been discussed a few times on TV, its been going on for years in various forms. The tree huggers, etc are pushing the powers that be, to revoke and return to the natural state, land that has been used, for farming, homesteads, guest houses, etc, via questionable documents over the past few years. There are several people being brought to task for encroachment of public lands etc, in the legal system now. The land offices, forest department and others have been accused of a lot of legal sidesteping, etc. It seems these lands are coming under the public and hense the legal system microscope, get excellant legal advice prior to getting involved. My humble openion on this type of land deal, if a politician is involved, be very careful.

Slapout,

Thanks for the info, apparently the government body responsible for this type of land is doing the rounds at the moment and there will be decisions made during the next month so all our dealings are on hold until then.

Wife is pretty astute with these kind of dealings but as you say when dealing with politicians, in any country, but more so in Thailand utmost caution is required

Gwynt

I recall that the sea gypsies had squatted land down around the Tsunami affected areas for over a hundred years and when they tried to return they found that well to do thais and politico,s suddenly came up with titles that effectively displaced them.