Tub Tim Resort

sugarhead

I went last week but I didn't actually stay there but I ate there everyday as the food is so good and the cheapest out of all the beach restaurants that I saw. Fan rooms were 600 and air con were 1200 or 1400 including breakfast. Very nice beach too..I'll be staying at TubTim Resort next time I go to Koh Samet.

We have been regulars at Tub Tim over many years, this past six months we stayed there in October, at Christmas and again during my last R&R, this latest time two separate couples moved out of Tub Tim complaining that they had been bitten by bed bugs.

We subsequently made a thorough check our our room and while we didn't find bed bugs, removing the pillow cases revealed the pillows themselves to be pretty grotty.

Given that prices have more or less doubled over the last two years I think clean bedding is not too much to ask for and as such we'll be staying at Samet Villas for our next trip.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I've stayed there many times in the past few years. No major issues with the place. The restaurant is great for dinner, the rooms are generally clean enough. One thing to consider is that there is a BIG difference between their different type/levels of bungalow. There's some not-so-great ones in the back, lots of decent ones, and some spectacular ones (the new ones that were built about a year ago on the bluff at the end of the beach). Of course the prices varies depending on the room.

My main issue with Tub Tim is their reservation system. I've always had to phone, and they usually can't confirm an exact price over the phone. They usually give me a range and say they won't know the exact cost until a few days before my reservation. They don't ask for a deposit, which can be nice for some, but it always leaves me feeling a little uneasy about whether I actually have a confirmed booking or not. It seems that they also don't like to take advance reservations - they may tell you that a certain weekend is fully booked, but if you call back a few weeks before your trip, suddenly they have tons of rooms.

Like someone said, the price of Tub Tim's keeps going up, and I find that it is often about the same to stay at Samet Villa, which has nicer/bigger rooms, tv, better breakfast, and more overall comforts. Tub Tim's has more of a remote "bungalows on the beach" vibe going on, whereas Samet Villa feels more like a resort. But after living here for years, I could care less about that. The thing Tub Tim's has going for it is it's location on the beach. Also the fact that it's not by any major nightclubs/bars, so it tends to be quieter at night than certain areas of Samet Villa.

Thanks. The one reservation putting me off Koh Samet is the reservation system. I'll be going there with my mother and wife. I want more than just a phone call saying they might have a room for us but don't know the price. A lot of these places state no email contact on their webpages. That puts me off and might choose Koh Chang instead because of it.

Thanks. The one reservation putting me off Koh Samet is the reservation system. I'll be going there with my mother and wife. I want more than just a phone call saying they might have a room for us but don't know the price. A lot of these places state no email contact on their webpages. That puts me off and might choose Koh Chang instead because of it.

Well, maybe other people have had better luck with making reservations at Tub Tim's.

And FYI.....I forgot to mention that Samet Villa DOES have a good booking system, which is another reason I prefer it. You can call or email, and you can choose the exact room type you want (they have many different types on their website.....not to be confused with another resort, Samed Ville!). They do require a 1 night deposit, which I pay by bank transfer within Thailand. Not sure what they do for people booking from outside of the country. I've probably stayed there 5-10 times, and I've always received exactly the room I was promised, with no hassles. I prefer the peace of mind of having a firm reservation.

And if your mother is elderly or has any mobility issues, I'd also vote for Samet Villa - it has nicer lit, paved footpaths to get around the resort, lots more staff to assist, and in my opinion, the overall level of comfort is much higher. At some of the Tub Tim's bungalows, you have to walk through sand or on a dirt path to get to your room - which does contribute to the "not a resort" vibe, if that's what you are looking for.