Noobie To The Farm Idea

Hi all.

well i'm a recent expat from the UK.

i live down near pattaya (about 20km's outside)

but the inlaws live near Sakeo.

the "mrs" has always spoken about buying some land as an investmant , planting eucalyptus and making lots of money after 3-5 years.

anyways, shes waving a peice of land at me so to speak near wangnamyen(sakeo area)

20 rai - 25k baht per rai. so 500,000 baht total.

i'm a total noob to this farming idea, but like the sound of it .

is it viable ? i've read so many posts here with some saying its good, some saying its for fools.

if its viable what do i need to find out, what to beware of

is eucalyptus the right idea ? or are there better alternatives and is 20rai even enought to do anything with ?

cheers in advance guys

In my experience you won't make ''lots of money'' but might make a bit of pocket money if things go well. If you're thinking of growing eucalyptus is the land near a good water source as they suck the land dry. Also get the soil tested to see what would be best grown. What was grown on the land before? Is there going to be someone there at all times to take care of trees and stop poachers. Be aware that agricultural prices are going up all the time at the moment, two months ago fertilizer was 750bht per 25kg now it's 980bht. It will probably cost you another 30,000 to turnover the land, fertilize, plant and add irrigation. Where is the land in Wang nam yen? My wife owns a small farm of about 35 rai just outside wang nam yen, on which we grow eucalyptus, sweet corn, papaya, teak, cassavas and now there talk of fish! We make enough money for her to live on but that's about it.

I hope this is of some help.

Ciaphas

all i've found out so far is is off road, not near a water supply, althought told thats not a problem as the land as arable.

current crop is a potato like plant that they put out to dry after harvest, then crush and use for cake mix ? sorry no idea on the name :o

how do people get on with land paperwork in places like this ? as they do not have the real deal land ownership paper i don;t think

the crop that's growing on it at the moment is called cassavas or man in Thai. we have 20 rai of cassavas growing at the moment if you do a search on this site there is a great deal of good information on it. If they are growing that on it at the moment I would think it's wise to grow it again depending on crop rotation (no expert on this sorry) as it doesn't need that much water like eucalyptus. We grow our eucalyptus on land next to a river and cassavas on land similar to what you describe. I know my brother in law tried to grow eucalyptus on similar land with not much success, but we have 1 rai of teak next to where we have cassavas that seems to be doing well.

As far as paper work I have no idea I'm afraid, it the wife's business and her money so I tend not to get involved. I just get told whats going on every now and again. Again if you do a search on this forum there is a lot of good information on the subject. But if as you say there is no real paper work I would be very cautious about buying the land.

Ciaphas

all i've found out so far is is off road, not near a water supply, althought told thats not a problem as the land as arable.

current crop is a potato like plant that they put out to dry after harvest, then crush and use for cake mix ? sorry no idea on the name :o

how do people get on with land paperwork in places like this ? as they do not have the real deal land ownership paper i don;t think

Grrr! just lost my original reply, so here we go again.

First identify your land title. Bor Tor 5, Bor Tor 11, Sor Por Kor (process completed yet?), etc. Note: some land cannot be sold. Some folks will advise never buying land that does not have chanoot (full title) but I'm not one - you just need to be able to assess your risks with non-chanoot land, and that starts with identification. Let us know and we can help further.

A search on "cassava" here on this forum will provide you with useful advise on the crop the land is probably currently growing.

Rgds

Khonwan

The price of farming land seems to vary a lot. I have just bought 32 rai in Chayapoum. Paid 230k + 5k to the local bossman to make sure it was all kosher. Half of it was cleared previously and the rest will cost about another 30k to clear. Eucalyptus is good if you can wait 5 years for a return as you should get around 45k for a rai of 5 year old trees a todays prices which could well double over the next 5 years.

Hope that helps

Hi all.

the "mrs" has always spoken about buying some land as an investmant , planting eucalyptus and making lots of money after 3-5 years.

anyways, shes waving a peice of land at me so to speak near wangnamyen(sakeo area)

is it viable ? i've read so many posts here with some saying its good, some saying its for fools.

is eucalyptus the right idea ? or are there better alternatives and is 20rai even enought to do anything with ?

cheers in advance guys

Hi Sllentnine

I cann't say much on the general topic of farming, as I'm into rubber plantations and am planting a few acres of cassava this year, but I have learned alot about how not to do things. You can waste loads of money if tou haven't planned well.

20 rai is not that big of an investment, but I doubt you will make enough to keep you in beer from it.

Anyway I will be in Pattaya at tha end of the month so if you want to have a chat about farming in Issan PM me and we can get together for a beer,. JIM

Hi all.

cheers in advance guys

Hi why not cultivate Jatropha, this plant gives seeds after one year, seeds who are used for bio-fuels.

These seeds are in hi demand in Europe, exporting them would deliver a nice profit.

I am visiting Thailand next month to select farmers who can cultivate this, if you want we can meet up.

Brgds

kurt