Us Embassy Is Enough To Make A Grown Man Cry!

Huey

I looked on in bewilderment today at the US Embassy as a grown man in his 60's started to literally cry and sob about not being able to bring his wife to America. At first I couldn't see him because of were I was sitting, close to window C not far from the cashier's window, Then I looked around one of the support pillars to see the couple. It was a older white man in his 60's balding on top with what was left of his grayish brown hair tied back in a pony tail, standing with a upcountry looking woman in what I would guess to be her 30's. He went on about how he served his country for 25 years in the Army, how he never was on welfare, how he never took anything from his govt, and how if he had money he would have been able to take her to America 4 years ago. The guy behind the counter seemed sympathetic but apparently could not help this man as he sobbed and recounted this miserable tail of how he tried so hard for this visa only to be denied.... Sad, they looked appropriate together, they seemed to have that look like they had been together for a long time :o

Damm, is it that F'ed Up??? is this what I have to look forward too when I wanna bring my wife to the States eventually? I mean he was balling louder than I heard a man cry for a very long time.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me wonder why they will not let her come into the states?

My wife had a green card in the states, but has been out side the US too long such that the green card is no longer vallid.

I wonder if and when the time comes to go back if they will let her return with me. We married in the states, have a son together (born in the states) etc etc etc.

Seems to me, it should be about maintaining the family unit, more than anything else.

Well... to be honest, I'd rather be here paying what little taxes I have too, rather than paying for a debt that I never agreed with in the first place in the states.

Burn all shrubs!

When people cheer from the gallery in support of laws limiting immigration or laws strengthening 'immigration security' - Then this is the result.

Sadly this is not an uncommon situation and will continue to be common so long as the US (and other governments) deal with the symptoms of today's problems rather than the causes.

Personally I feel sorry for the guy.

Hopes, expectations & happiness for the years he has left have been dealt a major blow.

I can fully comprehend the "why's" of tough immigration laws, however, when the application is being made by one of your own country's citizens who may not achieve the requirements, there really should be some leeway to judge individual cases on their merit.

"Sorry, we just can't help you sir." to one of your own, just does not cut it in my book. :o

Soundman.

I looked on in bewilderment today at the US Embassy as a grown man in his 60's started to literally cry and sob about not being able to bring his wife to America. At first I couldn't see him because of were I was sitting, close to window C not far from the cashier's window, Then I looked around one of the support pillars to see the couple. It was a older white man in his 60's balding on top with what was left of his grayish brown hair tied back in a pony tail, standing with a upcountry looking woman in what I would guess to be her 30's. He went on about how he served his country for 25 years in the Army, how he never was on welfare, how he never took anything from his govt, and how if he had money he would have been able to take her to America 4 years ago. The guy behind the counter seemed sympathetic but apparently could not help this man as he sobbed and recounted this miserable tail of how he tried so hard for this visa only to be denied.... Sad, they looked appropriate together, they seemed to have that look like they had been together for a long time :o

Damm, is it that F'ed Up??? is this what I have to look forward too when I wanna bring my wife to the States eventually? I mean he was balling louder than I heard a man cry for a very long time.

Got to be much more to this story. Why did you have a chat with him, talking could easy the pain, maybe you could have given him some tips for another go around. Really would like to no the reason for the turn down. :D:D:D

It's not the embassy that makes these folks cry. IMO the folks at ACS are rather professional and courteous considering the kind of monotonous crapola that they have to hear everyday. It's like a central meeting place for folks who don't understand what "planning ahead" is. "How will I live!?" "But I don't have enough money to stay another 2 weeks!" "I can't afford to go back to the US to get the documents you require!" "No one is over there to Fedex it to me!" etc. Oi, and the mia falang widows trying to collect on life insurance policies... that's the signal to go get a Starbucks and cheesecake and come back after lunch.

I'm just glad I only have to go 2-3 times between now and 2016 when my passport expires (depending on how many CRBA's I need to do).

:o

Got to be much more to this story. Why did you have a chat with him, talking could easy the pain, maybe you could have given him some tips for another go around. Really would like to no the reason for the turn down. :D:D:D

I'm sure there is much more too it. However he had that look of being on his very very last nerve. As if it was taking all of his strength to hold it all together long enough not to truely loose it in the embassy to the point were security had to be called in. I think if I let him open up there and recount his, no doubt, sad tale he would have lost it.

For America I prefer tough immigration laws but NOT when it involves the spouse or children (biological only) of a US citizen, if they are your spouce or your kids it should be just a matter of filling out a proper form or 2. what I saw today was just really sad I felt for that guy :D

It is a sad story, and many of us do not know enough to understand why his wife could not go with him.

As Heng was saying, I have also found the ACS staff both in Bangkok and Chiang Mai to be very good at their difficult jobs. Maybe the US Congress (the human beings who actually make the laws) were too tough, but were running for reelection on a tough stand against immigration. Yeah, against all immigrants. That wins elections nowadays, saying to seal the borders and send all the illegals home, no matter what.

It is a tough job having to tell a grown man something that makes him cry like a baby. I had a job like that, and now I much prefer telling Somchai or Kattakit that they failed the test but will pass the course regardless.

It is no cakewalk trying to bring a foreign spouse of fiancee into USA. I went through this about 10 years ago, when I brought my Malaysian fiancee to live with me (later married). There could have been any number of problems with his application, the first & foremost was whether he had enough income to support them. It is also a "tough row to hoe" to get her permanent residency, if & when she gets an entry visa. The whole immigration system is a frustrating mess. It seems the ones who shoudl be kept out get in and the ones who should get in are kept out.

I personally think whoever runs the visa section should be fired. Public servants indeed. I would think that since they do most of their business with automated computer messages, they have plenty of time to read Thai Visa. There is no one who will talk to me. I was told I needed a PIN number to speak with someone on the phone. If I remember correctly the PIN cost me $20. That information was given to me when I took my Thai wife with me to the embassy. After we returned home, I paid for my PIN and made a phone call. The guy who took my call could give me NO information other than to tell me I needed to make an appointment and IF a visa was granted, it had to be used on the dates listed on the visa. If it was not used within the dates, the visa would be void.

I don't fall into any of the regular situations. By that I mean that we have no intention of EVER living in the US. My parents are both still alive and are 87 years old. All I want is in the event of an emergency, to be able to take my wife, get on a plane and go. Why is that so difficult and why can't anyone tell me why it is a problem? It REALLY stinks that there is no one at the US embassy who has time to listen to their citizens needs. Emails are referred to other email addresses and NONE are answered by live breathing people.

I looked on in bewilderment today at the US Embassy as a grown man in his 60's started to literally cry and sob about not being able to bring his wife to America.

I mean he was balling louder than I heard a man cry for a very long time.

Did you tell him not to be a big crybaby? :o

(Just kidding folks)

I looked on in bewilderment today at the US Embassy as a grown man in his 60's started to literally cry and sob about not being able to bring his wife to America. At first I couldn't see him because of were I was sitting, close to window C not far from the cashier's window, Then I looked around one of the support pillars to see the couple. It was a older white man in his 60's balding on top with what was left of his grayish brown hair tied back in a pony tail, standing with a upcountry looking woman in what I would guess to be her 30's. He went on about how he served his country for 25 years in the Army, how he never was on welfare, how he never took anything from his govt, and how if he had money he would have been able to take her to America 4 years ago. The guy behind the counter seemed sympathetic but apparently could not help this man as he sobbed and recounted this miserable tail of how he tried so hard for this visa only to be denied.... Sad, they looked appropriate together, they seemed to have that look like they had been together for a long time :D

YES IT IS! brought my foreign wife to Germany in 1979. no problems at that time. government officials even "overpolite" and accomodating. but nowadays circumstances seem to be different. anyhow, it is a f@cking shame that any government puts up hurdles barring a legally married wife to entry the country :o

I looked on in bewilderment today at the US Embassy as a grown man in his 60's started to literally cry and sob about not being able to bring his wife to America. At first I couldn't see him because of were I was sitting, close to window C not far from the cashier's window, Then I looked around one of the support pillars to see the couple. It was a older white man in his 60's balding on top with what was left of his grayish brown hair tied back in a pony tail, standing with a upcountry looking woman in what I would guess to be her 30's. He went on about how he served his country for 25 years in the Army, how he never was on welfare, how he never took anything from his govt, and how if he had money he would have been able to take her to America 4 years ago. The guy behind the counter seemed sympathetic but apparently could not help this man as he sobbed and recounted this miserable tail of how he tried so hard for this visa only to be denied.... Sad, they looked appropriate together, they seemed to have that look like they had been together for a long time :D

YES IT IS! brought my foreign wife to Germany in 1979. no problems at that time. government officials even "overpolite" and accomodating. but nowadays circumstances seem to be different. anyhow, it is a f@cking shame that any government puts up hurdles barring a legally married wife to entry the country :o

With all sympathy for the genuine cases, the reason why marriage visas have been tightened up is because of abuse of the system by illegal immigrant trafficing gangs. An open system allows the shipping of sex slaves by international gangs remember.

And the reason why the staff have little leeway to go outside the guidelines is precisely because of the reasons this board moans about many time. They're lower level petty beaurocrats who exploit the little bit of power they have. Imagine how many bribery scandals there would be if embassy staff could make judgements to go outside specific guidelines!

And the reason why the staff have little leeway to go outside the guidelines is precisely because of the reasons this board moans about many time. They're lower level petty beaurocrats who exploit the little bit of power they have. Imagine how many bribery scandals there would be if embassy staff could make judgements to go outside specific guidelines!
Interesting comments about bureaucrats and judgments. How many times in the past ten years have US embassy officials (lower level, as you stated) been convicted of bribery? In ten years, how many scandals involving US congressmen?

what are some reasons to be denied a visa?

You are referring to a marriage visa, correct?

1. Inadequate income to support wife & or family

2. Poor or inadequate communication between the couple, ie her English or your Thai not good enough to demonstrate reasonable communication for a marriied couple.

3. Criminal background of the spouse.

4. Multiple marriages to foreign spouses.

5. Large age difference will raise attention.

6. Any previous history of spousal abuse on the part of the U.S. citizen. (most likely the man).

These are just a few. I am sure the list goes on & on. This is a long and arduous process, usually taking 18 months or more and that's just for the entry visa. Permanent residence status for the lady is another long & tedious situation.

Interesting comments about bureaucrats and judgments. How many times in the past ten years have US embassy officials (lower level, as you stated) been convicted of bribery? In ten years, how many scandals involving US congressmen?

Exactly my point. Low level beaurocrats have very little scope to work outside fixed guidelines so not much ability to take money to fix something that is outside the guidelines, so little bribery.

Senior officials have much more scope for wrongdoing so more bribes are offered

I can relate to this story. I went through the process a little over a year ago and all went well for my wife and I but it is a complecated process that requires attention to detail. But if you think that getting them to the US is complecated wait until the green card application. It is worse.

As I understand it the people at the embassy only care about the ligitimacy of the relationship and the sponsers ability to support the benifactor. When we went for the interview they were very nice and even personable, joking with my wife in Thai.

I am currently assisting a friend to get his girlfriend over and she has an interview on June 6 I understand that the system is completly overwhelmed because of the extreme number of applications that were submitted last year.

Personally, I think it sucks that there are 12 million illegal mexicans in the US and we have to go through all this to bring a few thai girls over. And another thing I think if your a vet it should be an automatic approval. All this crap about fighting for freedom...freedom for what?

someone should have showed him how to photoshop a bank statment.

Did it ever occur to you that his income might be insufficient to support a wife? Photocopy of a bank statement is not much good if there's little or nothing in the account.

Did it ever occur to you that his income might be insufficient to support a wife? Photocopy of a bank statement is not much good if there's little or nothing in the account.

Sorry, I thougt you ment photoCOPY. I doubt if that would quite do the trick.

I can relate to this story. I went through the process a little over a year ago and all went well for my wife and I but it is a complecated process that requires attention to detail. But if you think that getting them to the US is complecated wait until the green card application. It is worse.

As I understand it the people at the embassy only care about the ligitimacy of the relationship and the sponsers ability to support the benifactor. When we went for the interview they were very nice and even personable, joking with my wife in Thai.

I am currently assisting a friend to get his girlfriend over and she has an interview on June 6 I understand that the system is completly overwhelmed because of the extreme number of applications that were submitted last year.

Personally, I think it sucks that there are 12 million illegal mexicans in the US and we have to go through all this to bring a few thai girls over. And another thing I think if your a vet it should be an automatic approval. All this crap about fighting for freedom...freedom for what?

Well Said!

Alas a heartbreak I know all to well, but with an eventual happy ending. It really makes you ashamed of your own country.

My girlfriend (now my wife) tried to come back to the USA with me for a visit on a tourist visa and was denied. I had been living in Thailand for 5 years at the time, we owned a company together (yes a real one), a fair amount of Baht in the bank. The kicker is that the process has become truly orwellian in that they deny your application but they can't tell you why they denied it, or what the criteria is to decide yes or no, and there is no appeal. That's 4,000 baht please. I'll never forget looking up at the smirking portraits of Bush and Cheny on the wall, and just loathing my country.

After we got married, I was going to move back to the USA and decided for the K-1 Visa I was going to get professional help. I got an immigration lawyer and everything went much more smoothly. In fact my wife got her Permanent Residency to the USA in only one month from start to finish. Our lawyer told us that he could have gotten the tourist visa for us as well had used him a few years ago.

The real secret to this is to use a professional. Yes you can fill out all the forms yourself, its a bit tricky but possible. What the lawyers know how to do is to create a package of documents that's easy and streamlined for the Embassy people to through. The right documents, the right order, and the right things to say and put down. Imagine you were an embassy official and you've been going through day after day of monotonous paperwork for months. Having to argue with people, and tell them what they have and don't have all the time, when an application comes through that's properly formatted, filled out, and hits all the criteria from the get-go. It's easy for them, and that fact makes them look favorably on your application to start.

My advice is to use an immigration lawyer if you want results.

When people cheer from the gallery in support of laws limiting immigration or laws strengthening 'immigration security' - Then this is the result.

Sadly this is not an uncommon situation and will continue to be common so long as the US (and other governments) deal with the symptoms of today's problems rather than the causes.

This comment is, so far, the most realistic comment.

Even though it is unknown to us how the "rejected" foreigner feels about immigration, it seems apparent & real that the majority of "non-thinking" people are more than happy to oppose emigration to their countries. Why these people think like this, I'll never understand although I suspect that fear of "something" is a factor.