Non-imm O Ruling

Planning to get married to my thai girlfriend and have no problems with putting the 400k in the bank for the next few years, but i haven't earnt any foreign cash - ie, from my uk job - for over a year. Will I be refused the O visa on this basis?

cheers

You obtain a visa from a Consulate outside Thailand on the basis of your marriage and to visit your wife in Thailand you do not require income or bank deposit for this but in the Asia area you may only be able to obtain a single entry each time which would be valid for 90 days stay. Once you have marriage certificate and copy of her ID card you can obtain that.

Before the 90 day stay is up (during last 30 days) you can apply for an extension of stay, one year at a time, if you support your wife and can prove it. Bank deposit of 400k would take care of first year say and be used to pay expenses. Future years you would be expected to have employment here or overseas to continue the support extension. Having savings from overseas that you remit to your Thai bank account would take care of that or a work permit and employment here in Thailand. If you have no income it is going to be very hard to prove support and live here as you would be expected to take your wife to your homeland and support her there.

So if you have the money somewhere and can transfer it here on a regular basis (once a year would do) there should be no problem.