Smtp Tot

Kees5

Hi,

Just connected with my new TOT ADSL link. Unfortunately, they idn't give me an smtp address for my incoming mail. I went to TOT website, which is mainly in Thai, and found "smtp.totonline.net"

Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

Can anyone tell me please....

And yes, it is very slow where I am (Bang Saray). But the location compensates for this hardship.

Hi,

Just connected with my new TOT ADSL link. Unfortunately, they idn't give me an smtp address for my incoming mail. I went to TOT website, which is mainly in Thai, and found "smtp.totonline.net"

And yes, it is very slow where I am (Bang Saray). But the location compensates for this hardship.

sbk has already answered your question very well.

I may add here why you opt for a TOT mail account? There are many mail account providers out there like Gmx, Hotmail, Yahoo or anything else. What speed is concerned read a little bit this particular forum and you will soon find out that TOT especially does not provide the same speed what you probably had in your country. Internet is fairly expensive here in Thailand for what you can expect from it. Maybe not everybody does agree with me in this respect……

I may add here why you opt for a TOT mail account? There are many mail account providers out there like Gmx, Hotmail, Yahoo or anything else. What speed is concerned read a little bit this particular forum and you will soon find out that TOT especially does not provide the same speed what you probably had in your country. Internet is fairly expensive here in Thailand for what you can expect from it. Maybe not everybody does agree with me in this respect……

I didn't choose them for my mail account, my email account is a New Zealand one, with Paradise, a subsidiary or Telstra Clear NZ.

But my mail program 'Mail' on my Mac, asks me to provide my internet provider's smtp in order to let me send emails from the paradise address. I could of course use the Paradise website, but find a mail program much more convenient in terms of keeping track of emails received and sent, and being able to file them.

When I connected my TOT account, it was because the previous house owner had had an account with Tot, and I wasn't aware of the problems TOT had with smtp or with lack of speed. I am finding this out rapidly now.

The funny thing is I used to live in Vientiane, and receive wireless PPOe or whatever it is called from Planet, faster then this ADSL from TOT.

Not sure if I want to fork out 5kBt/month for a satellite service...

One of the other threads suggested a number based smtp, which worked for two days then faield.

Thn I got a reply to my email to TOT (after the end of Songkran of course):

Dear Kees ,

You can set you outgoing mail server as smtp-adsl.totonline.net

Yours Sincerely,

Sakorn Suwan

TOT

----- Original Message ----- From: <[email protected]>

To: <[email protected]>

Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2008 4:01 PM

Subject: smtp?

Hi,

I have a new connection ADSL with TOT.

What SMTP adsress do I use for outgoing mail?

Kees

Bang Saray

Right now, it works

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

You dont use SMTP for incoming mail. SMTP (Simple Mail Transport Protocol) is strictly for sending mail. For incoming mail you will be using POP or IMAP.

That being said the Thai SMTP servers are extremely poor managed and often banned by other mailservers, so prepare yourself to see quite a few mail bounces.

Unless you have access to a SMTP server managed by someone who know what they are doing your best bet is to use Gmail or similar.