Re-entering (or Not) After Long Overstay

littlebigman

I'm a UK citizen. I'm not a career criminal, or a terrorist. I'm not a bad man at all.

But I did break the law by overstaying my visa in Thailand by a whopping three years and two months, and I suppose that does make me a criminal. I left the country two weeks ago to visit my father, who is unwell, and somewhat optimistically I bought a return ticket. I paid my B20,000 fine, and got sent on my way with a cold look, a shake of the head and that's pretty much all.

Essentially, I'm posting this to try to find out what to expect when I get to Don Meuang next week. I will be trying to reenter with a passport showing how long I overstayed and the fine I paid.

Why did I overstay for three years? A long story. I'll try to make it brief. The gist of it is that I didn't know anything about visas when I came here; plus I was a little unlucky. And stupid.

I came to Thailand with little money, and not long afterwards I was robbed and when I complained I was assaulted by my own landlord, just after my first visa period elapsed. He then refused to return my deposit. That left me as good as flat broke. I did not know what to do, and the advice I got from Thais and farangs alike was confusing to say the least.

'Don't go to the police with an out of date visa. They'll deport you immediately.'

'Go to immigration. Tell them you've lost your passport.'

'Immigration will deport you.'

'Go to the Wall. They'll take your passport out for you, and get it stamped.'

'Never, ever use a service which involves giving your passport to somebody else. Are you mad?'

'I've used the Wall for three years. Never had a problem yet.'

'I used the Wall for six months. And now I don't have a passport.'

You get the picture. I was aware that if I got stopped by the law, I would be asked to produce passport ID and then I would be deported. If I could stay out of the way of the police, I would be okay till I left of my own accord, paying a large fine on the way out.

Like I say, I'm not a habitual criminal or a bad man and with the exception of that early catastrophic landlord experience, I had a pleasant, trouble-free and productive time in Thailand. I was stopped and questioned twice by police in the three years I was there, but it was random and they accepted my excuses and apologies for not having my passport. It astonished me.

I didn't have to work much, because I was living on money from an insurance payout after an accident a few years back. I have done some work in Thailand, though, mainly as a private teacher for the children of four Thai families, and some of the parents.

Since I came home, the advice I have had is to 'lose' my passport and get a new one issued, in which of course there will be no overstay stamp. However, my ticket would predate any new passport and I don't want to get into any of that crap in any case. That's the main reason why I couldn't find a way to get out of this position when I was in Thailand: it seemed to involve breaking the law again, only this time wilfully. I just don't want to do anything like that.

I therefore aim to present myself at Immigration at Don Meuang with a UK passport showing a horribly long overstay. And I don't know what to expect. The Thai embassy told me I might be denied entry; but they added that then again I might not. They would not give me visa in London, and I didn't expect them to.

As well as being uncommonly dumb and unlucky, I am also deeply fatalistic. Well, if you were me you'd learn to be. I'll take what comes.

However, there are other people to think about now. My life is in Thailand. My woman is there, and so is my apartment. My landlord will be expecting his rent. I have been offered a full-time job by a Thai company. Some of those kids have exams soon. And I have a good number of friends in Bangkok, most of them Thai. I'm not going back on a whim is what I mean.

Can anyone tell me what I can expect to happen when I get to Don Meuang?

If I was you, I would consider saying your passport is lost in the UK and get a new one sent to you.

If you paid the fine at the airport and did not get deported, then the new passport will not show an over stay, i cannot see what the problem will be.

I do not know this to be fact, but it makes sence to me

Good luck and please let us know what happens

Put your passport through the washing machine and get a new one.

I really don't understand how anyone can have an excuse for overstaying thier visa for so long. You mention being flat broke as a reason u overstayed , but then u talk about a large insurance payout which you lived off for three years ? I know u might have circumastances, but i have little sympathy and total understanding of the reasons for Thai immigration , if they do not let u back in the kingdom .

Or maybe u reside under a bridge and hassle billy goat gruffs when they pass?

Losing your passport achieves nothing. It does mean that your overstay will not be apparent from your passport but the record will be on the immigration computer. In order to completely conceal the overstay it would be necessary to obtain a passport in a different identity and that's even murkier territory.

Scouse.

LittleBigMan

I only speed read your question,

I would like to add a little more info

If you have a single return ticket to thailand, dont use it, purchase a return ticket from your home country ( even though it costs more) make sure you have cash to cover the trip i sudgest 70,000bht worth of currecny.

Look clean and tidy, prehaps wear trousures and a shirt and shoes, then when you arrive in thailand, if it is down to one officer at least the chips will be on your side, it might get you back in.

Now the next bit of advice, if you wont to reck paradise keep up your past behavure. Treat Thailand with the restpect that it requires and diserves.

Good luck

I will be the Lone Ranger - voice of dissent here. Come back normally - I am presuming you now speak some Thai. Dress respectfully, and upon reaching the Immigration desk, smile and be pleasant. When Immigration office looks up at you after seeing the overstay stamp, smile and nod, and say "Ruuchak dee gwah."

I know someone who had a MUCH longer overstay, and returned after less than 48 hours - and was simply told (by a laughing Immigration officer) "don't stay so long this time without authorization".

I have never heard of anyone with just one cleared overstay stamp (meaning - cleared at airport on your own - not via the IDC) ever having any trouble re-entering Thailand. If anyone knows for sure of anyone being turned away, please let the board know. In general, when you pay your legal penalty in Thailand, you are deemed to have paid your debt to society.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

I can't say I sympathize with your situation. You are an adult I presume, over 18.

Irresponsible behaviour like this can make it bad for everyone else.

If you pulled a stunt like this here in the US you would be arrested then deported.

Grow up will ya, :o boo hoo.

:o I think your a complete waste of space and dont think that any respectfull and law abiding person here should give you any advice and certainly not encourage you to return to Thailand. You have knowingly broken the law here which just keeps on getting tighter and more restrictive for the people who do the right thing and abide by it, The reason it keeps getting more restrictive? well the answer to that is simple, PEOPLE LIKE YOU. Do us all a favour, go home and dont come back.

Cheers Mango. :D

:o I think your a complete waste of space and dont think that any respectfull and law abiding person here should give you any advice and certainly not encourage you to return to Thailand. You have knowingly broken the law here which just keeps on getting tighter and more restrictive for the people who do the right thing and abide by it, The reason it keeps getting more restrictive? well the answer to that is simple, PEOPLE LIKE YOU. Do us all a favour, go home and dont come back.

Cheers Mango. :D

Don't agree with you Mango. I think it has more to do with the xenophobic nature of Thaksin and the lot.

Agree with you, meom.

I don't think Thai Rak Thais' policies are influenced by a few westerners overstaying their visas. If they were, then they would simply make overstayers PNG after they've paid the fine at the airport. Seeing as they don't, then it's obviously not particularly high on their agenda.

Mango, which laws are getting tighter and more restrictive specifically towards foreigners?

I'm with you on this Mango.

Anyway, the first advice he got went over his head, why bother trying to tell him to abide by the rules - he won't.

And I'm not inclinded to help with advice on how to get around them either.

The comments on this thread are ridiculous. The maximum fine (by Thai law) for overstay is 20,000 baht. The maximum fine (by Thai law) for not reporting your address to Immigration every 90 days is 5,000 baht - and they actually charge 2,000 baht.

Indignation by board members is not a good measure of seriousness - comparing fine levels is a good way of measuring seriousness. I'll bet that fewer than 20% of people posting on this thread comply with 90 day reporting - well - you are all violating something that is 25% as serious, by Thai law, as a 3 year overstay - without even blinking - and - I believe that any time Immigration feels like it, they can lock you up and deport you for violating the 90 day reporting requirement - just like they can if they catch you with an overstay.

I have seen three passports with significant overstay stamps - one for over 10 years of overstay - and all were able to return to Thailand routinely. I have never heard of a turn-back at the airport.

I do NOT advocate overstaying in Thailand. But if youn do this, you don't get caught, and you pay your penalty at airport upon departure - you are "cleared", and you can forget about it - and come and go as you see fit.

Cheers!

Indo-Siam

I will be the Lone Ranger - voice of dissent here. Come back normally - I am presuming you now speak some Thai. Dress respectfully, and upon reaching the Immigration desk, smile and be pleasant. When Immigration office looks up at you after seeing the overstay stamp, smile and nod, and say "Ruuchak dee gwah."

I know someone who had a MUCH longer overstay, and returned after less than 48 hours - and was simply told (by a laughing Immigration officer) "don't stay so long this time without authorization".

I have never heard of anyone with just one cleared overstay stamp (meaning - cleared at airport on your own - not via the IDC) ever having any trouble re-entering Thailand. If anyone knows for sure of anyone being turned away, please let the board know. In general, when you pay your legal penalty in Thailand, you are deemed to have paid your debt to society.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Steve. Do you seriously believe an airline will carry this guy into Thailand with the overstay stamp, no visa and on a one way ticket ?

I'm a UK citizen. I'm not a career criminal, or a terrorist. I'm not a bad man at all.

Essentially, I'm posting this to try to find out what to expect when I get to Don Meuang next week. I will be trying to reenter with a passport showing how long I overstayed and the fine I paid.

I therefore aim to present myself at Immigration at Don Meuang with a UK passport showing a horribly long overstay. And I don't know what to expect. The Thai embassy told me I might be denied entry; but they added that then again I might not. They would not give me visa in London, and I didn't expect them to.

However, there are other people to think about now. My life is in Thailand. My woman is there, and so is my apartment. My landlord will be expecting his rent. I have been offered a full-time job by a Thai company. Some of those kids have exams soon. And I have a good number of friends in Bangkok, most of them Thai. I'm not going back on a whim is what I mean.

Strange story, what stopped you applying for a new passport in the UK?

Anyway, you are on your way, with a return ticket presumably, otherwise I can't see it working out at all. I don't know what to expect in the present climate. But I know people who got back in after a long overstay. I'd have a confirmed flight out within 30 days (can be changed once in), some cash, credit cards etc., to difuse any doubts about finances. Do you have somebody to meet you at the airport and give a kinda reference if possible?

Is the job you've been offered 'official'? Any chance it might be after a trial period? Any supporting documents? Sounds like you've blown that one already.

If you can, postpone your flight and sort things out from the UK, but I suspect you have reasons not to do so.

Again, the story is strange, it is not how someone in full command of their faculties would go about a major task in life. Are you sure you couldn't get some form of free legal and other counselling in the UK?

I'm a UK citizen.  I'm not a career criminal, or a terrorist.  I'm not a bad man at all.

Essentially, I'm posting this to try to find out what to expect when I get to Don Meuang next week.  I will be trying to reenter with a passport showing how long I overstayed and the fine I paid.

I therefore aim to present myself at Immigration at Don Meuang with a UK passport showing a horribly long overstay.  And I don't know what to expect.  The Thai embassy told me I might be denied entry; but they added that then again I might not.  They would not give me visa in London, and I didn't expect them to.

However, there are other people to think about now.  My life is in Thailand.  My woman is there, and so is my apartment.  My landlord will be expecting his rent.  I have been offered a full-time job by a Thai company.  Some of those kids have exams soon.  And I have a good number of friends in Bangkok, most of them Thai.  I'm not going back on a whim is what I mean.

Strange story, what stopped you applying for a new passport in the UK?

Anyway, you are on your way, with a return ticket presumably, otherwise I can't see it working out at all. I don't know what to expect in the present climate. But I know people who got back in after a long overstay. I'd have a confirmed flight out within 30 days (can be changed once in), some cash, credit cards etc., to difuse any doubts about finances. Do you have somebody to meet you at the airport and give a kinda reference if possible?

Is the job you've been offered 'official'? Any chance it might be after a trial period? Any supporting documents? Sounds like you've blown that one already.

If you can, postpone your flight and sort things out from the UK, but I suspect you have reasons not to do so.

Again, the story is strange, it is not how someone in full command of their faculties would go about a major task in life. Are you sure you couldn't get some form of free legal and other counselling in the UK?

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed. :o

I doubt that any airline will allow you to even get to Don Muang if you have a 3 year overstay stamped in your passport...

I doubt that any airline would bother to check previous stamps in someones passport or be able to decipher a Thai overstay stamp if they bothered to in the first place.

The main problem is travelling without a visa or an onward ticket.

Visit Cardiff consulate personally and get a while you wait tourist visa, the staff aren't Thai and are not concerned about overstay stamps. As long as you are not on their list of PNGs then you should be ok for a visa.

In general, when you pay your legal penalty in Thailand, you are deemed to have paid your debt to society.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Hi...

I recently helped some friends in a similar situation in Europe - they were from the East and long overstayed.

I contacted the duty customs officer and he told me the procedure, pay the fine and there will be no deportation stamp.

I think its the same all around the world.

But... I would definitely have a return ticked and enough cash to prove my next stay.

The big problem with customs officers is that they can interpret some rules as they wish and the Duty officer on duty at the time may use his own discretion.

Good luck and don't do it again!

:o

Mango, which laws are getting tighter and more restrictive specifically towards foreigners?

http://www.thaivisa.com/index.php?514&back...514&tt_news=526

Thanks.

I can see how the new money rules affect a lot of foreigners living in Thailand legally. Unfortunately they will have very little affect on overstayers who will continue to work for whatever wage they can without a work permit. Infact these rules seem to encourage people to reside and work illegally in the Kingdom.