3 Dead In Patong?

Tornado

Well I was surprised to hear of this as well as many of us, but I don’t think we are safe any where in the world to be honest even in the UK.

We have to show due diligence at all times…

I am in UAE , travel to Thailand often ,, worry more of the Middle East than Thailand,

But I just found out where I come from in a quite town of Nottingham that this week alone, and its rare that a 14 yr old was shot in stomach during the Goose Fair and a guy was punched to death by a jealous boy friend in Long Eaton / Nottingham.

No where is safe…

Its what ever makes the news head lines we read..

:D:o:D

In the Phuket Gazette about two months ago... someone asked the question "Why make Phuket look like a third world country by having most streets lined with electricity poles and cables". The answer given by someone fairly high up in the electricity company was: "Because it is easier for the electricity company to see who is stealing the electricity".

Ridiculous! The correct answer is: "Because we cannot afford to put the cables underground." ....

Underground power plans delayed by funds hurdle

PHUKET: The Phuket Provincial Electricity Authority (PPEA) will start to install underground power cables in Phuket City and Patong ... when the money can be found for the project.

This would make these areas more attractive,

(This man's a genius.)
as well as improving the power management system. One result should be fewer electrical problems, as the cables would not be affected by phenomena such as lightning, said K. Amorn.
Get away! Does lightning do that! Well, we live and learn.
But, he said, putting cables underground costs about 10 times as much as it does to put them above-ground, and the budgets have yet to be approved, blah, blah, blah...

In the Phuket Gazette about two months ago... someone asked the question "Why make Phuket look like a third world country by having most streets lined with electricity poles and cables". The answer given by someone fairly high up in the electricity company was: "Because it is easier for the electricity company to see who is stealing the electricity".

Ridiculous! The correct answer is: "Because we cannot afford to put the cables underground." ....

Underground power plans delayed by funds hurdle

PHUKET: The Phuket Provincial Electricity Authority (PPEA) will start to install underground power cables in Phuket City and Patong ... when the money can be found for the project.

This would make these areas more attractive,

(This man's a genius.)
as well as improving the power management system. One result should be fewer electrical problems, as the cables would not be affected by phenomena such as lightning, said K. Amorn.
Get away! Does lightning do that! Well, we live and learn.
But, he said, putting cables underground costs about 10 times as much as it does to put them above-ground, and the budgets have yet to be approved, blah, blah, blah...

They have the very best experts that money can buy. :o

Tourist electrocuted during rains

PHUKET: A 19-year-old Canadian tourist was electrocuted by a downed power cable in Patong during Saturday’s torrential rains.

Gary Yelizarov, of Richmond, was found on the sidewalk near the Jintana Hotel. A broken electrical cable was nearby.

Firefighters used a piece of wood to move the cable away and retrieve Mr Yelizov’s body, but he was pronounced dead at Patong Hospital.

I'm sure this won't be kept quiet in Canada. I can see the Canadian Foreign Affairs Department recommending to Canadians that Thailand is unsafe for travel. Electrocutions, murders, auto accidents...Thailand is going to get hurt...this country is teetering on disaster. The safety of visitors is very questionable here.

I've had friends visiting me here. I found myself being overprotective of them. Basically, I didn't want them to die on my watch. The odds are high for such things and I doubt it will ever change. It's all up to the attitude and perception of tourists and their countries. Eventually, information will be shared and foreign governments around the world will tire of the nonsense here in Southeast Asia and advise all of their citizens to avoid this region altogether.

Phuket is as safe as nay other place in the world.

Phuket is as safe as nay other place in the world.

Really?

Crime: Murders (per capita) (Top 100 Countries)

1.. Colombia...................0.63 per 1000 people

2.. South Africa...............0.51 per 1000 people

3.. Jamaica.....................0.32 per 1000 people

4.. Venezuela.................0.32 per 1000 people

5.. Russia.......................0.19 per 1000 people

6.. Mexico.......................0.13 per 1000 people

7.. Lithuania...................0.10 per 1000 people

8.. Estonia .....................0.10 per 1000 people

9.. Latvia........................0.10 per 1000 people

10. Belarus.....................0.09 per 1000 people

11. Ukraine.....................0.09 per 1000 people

12. Papua New Guinea...0.08 per 1000 people

13. Kyrgyzstan...............0.08 per 1000 people

14. Thailand...................0.07 per 1000 people

I didn't make it up - look here:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap

And if you want to concentrate on gun deaths:

Crime: Murders with firearms (per capita) (Top 100 Countries)

1.. South Africa........0.74 per 1000 people

2.. Colombia............0.52 per 1000 people

3.. Thailand.............0.31 per 1000 people

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_wit_fir_cap

Sleep well, everyone. Sleep well :o

Edited by RDN

I happened before Russian girl electrocuted and it will happen again.

..."Why make Phuket look like a third world country by having most streets lined with electricity poles and cables". The answer given by someone fairly high up in the electricity company was: "Because it is easier for the electricity company to see who is stealing the electricity".

Ridiculous! The correct answer is: "Because we cannot afford to put the cables underground."...

...or maybe just proud of showing (?)... :o
...putting cables underground costs about 10 times as much as it does to put them above-ground,...
False! If done the same time when building the road it is about 4 times more cost intensive. Surely it's not only the lack of money: The PPEA refuses investors to cover the cost of an underground power line.

And if yer gonna stand up to your waist in water whilst around sub-standard electrical installations you deserve to be electrocuted.

Yeah, he deserved to be killed you fcukwit. He was all of 19 and not familiar with the utter lack of safety and responsibility in this country. Smarten up jackass and have some respect.

igotworms... I don't know if yougotworms... but you sure got somethin jaggin in your ass :o

If you read what was said perhaps you would understand my use of language. Thanks for the insight.

Crime: Murders (per capita) (Top 100 Countries)

1.. Colombia...................0.63 per 1000 people

2.. South Africa...............0.51 per 1000 people

Crime: Murders with firearms (per capita) (Top 100 Countries)

1.. South Africa........0.74 per 1000 people

How can you have 0.51 TOTAL murders per 1000 and also have 0.74 murders with a firearm ???

Lies, ###### lies, and statistics :o

How can you have 0.51 TOTAL murders per 1000 and also have 0.74 murders with a firearm ???

Lies, ###### lies, and statistics :D

Very well spotted! If I can get an answer from the people at NationMaster, I'll let you know.. :o

Just a quick one, if you work the stats out for "murders with a firearm"

.31 per 1000 and thailand has about 60 million people thats about 358 murders by firearm a week.

You think you'd see more on the news would'nt you.

You certainly would.. :D

Stop, drop and roll.

You think the arms catch fire due to checking the fuel in the dream with a lighter? Would explain the massive roadkills too.

It's late, I'll get me coat.  :o

:D:D:D