Buddybb Modem Woes

LinglekJim

Hi,

I just spent major cash having a custom pc built but can't get my modem to work with it. I've been using buddy for the last 18 months. The dam_n installation disk doesn't work (and it never did - a cool thai guy that worked for my condo set it up for me -too bad he's gone). I called buddy and the service tech told me to use the ethernet connection instead of the USB connection (the USB worked fine on the old pc) so as not to worry about the USB drivers not loading properly. He walked me through everything, but it won't connect. AND of course no one has called me back since he gave up Tuesday.

A couple of points:

- the ethernet port on my new PC works fine (I can access the internet when networked to

my old PC)

- the modem is SIEMENS 4200 Speedstream

Do I have to re-configure the modem to work with the ethernet?

I am afraid to reset it, don't want to lose my

connection with the old PC (DEMONOID IS Back)

I'm really hoping to clean out the old PC (5 years and never a crash, but it is really

slowing down and needs to be reformatted)

Any advise would be appreciated, Jim

Wait for the experts to give you advise, but in the meantime check that you are using the right LAN cable to connect the new PC to your modem/router.

The LAN cable you used to connect the new PC to the old one will be a 'cross-over' cable but if you connect a PC via LAN cable directly to the modem/router the cable will have to be a straight one.

do a Google on LAN cables.

opalhort

the buddy guy asked me if I had a CAT 5 LAN cable (I think he was hoping I didn't) but I did (yellow w/CAT5 on it).... funny thing I could network my new PC to the old PC for internet access...(but now I lost even that :o messing with the TCP/IP settings)

I am 5 year veteran NEWBIE with computers, sure to never advance

thanks opalhort

I'm not sure about the coding of LAN cables (please Google it) but the cable you used to connect PC to PC WON'T work if you connect a PC directly to modem/router! (cross-over vs. straight cable).

On most cables it is quite easy to see. A straight cable has all the same colors on the same pins at both ends, a cross-over cable has some colors on different (not matching) pins compared one end to the other.

If you have XP try a system restore to a time before you messed around with the TCP/IP settings.

opalhort

Guest Reimar

First at all you should check you computer can see the modem!

Step 1: delete the settings for the network connection by click Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connection right click on Local Area Connection of the NIC you use follow by cl8ick on Properties, double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and check Obtain an IP Address automatically (there shouldn't be any address IP in that boxes )

Step 2: Click Start -> Run and type in the Command line CMD [Enter]: A DOS windows should show up

Step 3: In that Dos Window type: ipconfig /all [Enter]

Noe you should see some IP Numbers like: 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.2 and that numbers shpuld be in the range of 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x. Consult the manual of your Modem Router which address range you should see! If you get an IP other than within that Range, your modem couldn't be seen! Now you should check the Ethernet Cable. It may or may not must be an cross over cable. Most of the newer modem/routers using a straight cable now.

To check the Cable is straight or not, just hold the two RG45 connector in same directions side by side and you can see the color of the wires inside are on the same place or not.

After you've done that checks, please post the result here that I can direct you to the next steps.

Cheers.

The Siemens 4200 modem has auto MDIX switching so ethernet cable polarity shouldn't be a problem. The user manual is available here.

have a look at page 67 item 1 of the manual. the LAN cable HAS TO BE a straight-through cable!

if the OP used the same cable he used to connect the two PCs it would be the wrong one.

opalhort

Have you managed to make it work?

If not, I might be able to help you. I am a Buddy Broadband user and I use the same Siemens SpeedStream 4200 modem to connect via the Ethernet port.

The method I use requires to reconfigure the modem and then apply the appropriate network settings. It's a little tedious but I can provide you with step-by-step guidance to do it.

But let me know first if you are interested.

Hey Morbius,

You are just the person I've been hoping to hear from....

Did Buddy help you? I still haven't heard from them.

I don't mean to a pain, but I really would like to get it working.

I been through the User's Manual, but I can't pull up the HTTP server to connect to the router (do I have to change IP #'s in the IE browser?)

If you used the steps in the User's Manual, you can save some time and just tell me what

changes you made setting you used or passwords you used.

For Example: pg 19 Access Concentrator "what the frack?"

Thanks, Jim

BB did not help me at all.

I didn't use the user manual. Nor did I install any program/software supplied by BB: I didn't touch at all the CD provided by BB. So, I can't answer any of your questions.

In a nutshell, the method I use consists in changing the 4200 modem status from "bridge mode" (as it is when provided by BB) to "router mode". This can only be done by flashing the modem with a specific firmware which I will share with you. Then, the PC and the modem needs to be set with the correct network parameters.

Once again, let me know if you are interested, and I will then detail the procedure for you.

Btw, If your old PC has an Ethernet adapter, you will be able to connect it to the modem, too, to access the Net.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some problems posting on this forum in the past week, but, hopefully, it should be fixed now.

Here is a step-by-step guideline I suggest you follow.

1. Clean your PC.

Remove/uninstall all settings and programs that might have been set/installed by the BB Installation CD. In particular, you should remove that 'buddy1m' WAN Miniport (PPPOE) that I see in your Network Connections. Also, I am not sure what is this '1394 Connection', but if it was created by the BB Installation procedure, you should remove it too. If it was not, I hope it won't interfere with the network settings I am going to detail here below.

2. Flash the modem with the firmware.

Make sure the modem and the PC are connected via an Ethernet link, and that both are powered ON. Then execute the firmware installation program that I have sent you and follow the instructions (Update Firmware) until completion.

3. Setting up your PC.

On the Network Connection page, access the Lan Area Connection that corresponds to your Ethernet network adapter. Click Properties -> Internet Protocol.

Select 'Use the following IP address' and fill in:

IP address: 10.0.0.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 10.0.0.138

Select 'Use the following DNS server addresses' and fill in:

Preferred DNS server: 203.146.237.237

Alternate DNS server: 203.144.255.71

Click OK -> OK -> Close.

4. Setting up your modem/gateway SpeedStream 4200.

Open your browser (for instance Internet Explorer) with the address: 10.0.0.138 (default address of the modem after firmware flashing).

Click Login, fill in the default Username and Password (admin, admin) and click OK.

Click Setup -> DHCP. In the DHCP Server section, select 'Disable'. Click 'Save Settings'.

Click (Setup ->) WAN Interface. You first need to remove the existing PPP connection (PPPoA(0) 8/35) by clicking Delete in this connection line. Then, click 'Add a New VC' and fill in:

VPI: 0

VCI: 35

Encapsulation type: LLC

Traffic Class: Unspecified Bit Rate

Click Next.

Select PPPoE as Protocol. Click Next.

Select Client only as PPPoE Configuration. Click Next.

Select 1 as number of PPPoE sessions. Click Next.

Fill in your Login Username and Password that you use to Login to BB. Click Next.

Check Auto-Connect on Disconnect (recommended). Click Next.

Leave the Static IP address field blank. Click Finish.

Click Reboot. Click Reboot again.

After the modem has rebooted, you should be connected and your browser should indicate the WAN IP address that has been assigned to your modem in the Point to Point Connection Summary line next to PPPoE 0/35. If it is not the case, click Home and then Connect.

From now onwards, you don't need to connect and login to your BB account with your username/password from your PC: your modem will do it automatically for you as soon as you power it ON. As long as you leave it ON, it will remain connected. Another advantage is that you can use, if you wish, the Firewall and the Port Forwarding (useful for some applications) functions of the modem.

Let us now the results... :o

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Morbius,

I was finally able to get the modem working with the USB connection. It ends up all I had to do was grab the USB drivers from the previous installation and load them (I am sure they are on the disk - but it was just easier to copy the driver file from my old pc than search the disc).

Buddy never did call me back, but there service department is pretty weak - I still can't believe the tech was trying to have me set up an ethernet connection without doing jack-diddly to the firmware on the modem. That stupid installation disk from buddy is a joke.

I am sure you are right about an ethernet connection being better, but my beloved internet is up and running and well, I just don't have them time nor patience to frack with it (it also helps that my new motherboard has 10 usb ports).

I am sure other people will find your posts useful and I thank you again for taking the time to put all of this up for me.

Best Wishes,

JC

Edited by LinglekJim

• 1 year later...

Does anyone still have the Siemens Speedstream 4200 firmware handy?

I would like to be able to use this modem with Buddybb without having to use drivers and the USB port.

I.E. I want to use plain simple PPPoE and the Ethernet port.

From what I have read I have to re-flash the modem with a different firmware, is that right?

Cheers, Farrol.

UPDATE:

Got it working, without a firmware update.

The Speedstream 4200 supplied by Buddybb now actually supports PPPoE over the Ethernet port out of the box, no need to install any USB drivers.

The tricky bit is that the first time one must login as user:register / password:register

Then go to www.buddybb.com and click on the first time register button.

Here you can enter the numbers of your Buddybb card and then choose your own username and password, then log off and log in again with your new username password.

That's all, now it works fine.

I just wish the throughput to/from Europe/US was better, in the evenings it is pretty bad. Is that the case with all ADSL providers in Thailand?