What Keeps You In Thailand?

wongamat20

Considering Thailand is rotten to the core with corruption as well as being extremely racist, and opposed to foreign buisness - esp small scale, what keeps you here. If you hadnt put down roots i.e. wife, girlfriend, kids, property etc. then would you really stay. or would you just give it the finger and find greener pastures?

There are many places in SE Asia where the people are friendly, polite, gracious and honest.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering Thailand is rotten to the core with corruption as well as being extremely racist, and opposed to foreign buisness - esp small scale, what keeps you here. If you hadnt put down roots i.e. wife, girlfriend, kids, property etc. then would you really stay. or would you just give it the finger and find greener pastures?

There are many places in SE Asia where the people are friendly, polite, gracious and honest.

Where are these places? Most Thais seem to be gracious, polite, friendly, and honest. The majority of Thais I've mixed with have treated me with more respect than I deserve, considering they don't really know me. Why would you put down roots in country, purchase property, and have kids, if you felt the country had no morals?

And you live where ?

Some people will complain no matter where they live. Chronic gripers will never be happy anywhere. I think you need to look at the positive in your surroundings. Nowhere is perfect, but Thailand has a lot going for it. Of course, there are people who genuinely don't suit Thailand and should leave if they can.

I have made a family here in Thailand, and enjoy my life. I know that there are many other places where I could also be happy, but you make your choices and you do the best you can with the results of these choices. No place is perfect.

Try Saudi for a while and then we'll talk again about your above qualifications of Thailand.

cheers

onzestan

I can certainly agree with onzestan about Saudi. I came here six years ago from Saudi and what a change. Some places are harder to see the positive in than others. For me finding the positive in Saudi was a struggle so I left.

I have to confess I don’t have the staying power of some of you folk. I am gradually increasing the percentage of time I spend in Singapore (a country I absolutely love) and reducing my time in Thailand.

Thailand is potentially a fantastic country but in its current state, my personal decision is not to put down roots here.

For those of you who are staying, I wish you well and I say Bonne Courage!

I can certainly agree with onzestan about Saudi. I came here six years ago from Saudi and what a change. Some places are harder to see the positive in than others. For me finding the positive in Saudi was a struggle so I left.

Good place to up the Bank balance is all.

I take my hat off to people who work in such places to secure their future financially, it's a bummer working in a place that you hate ( I do it myself ), but when I relax in my nice house with a nice Bank account to fall back on, I'm glad I'm in a position to get it while I can.

Thailand di kwa...for sure. :o

Some people will complain no matter where they live. Chronic gripers will never be happy anywhere.

Most of them seem to habitate TV forums.... :o ...if things are that bad in this country no one is stopping them leaving...sure the Thai immigration would welcome it as a lot people on these forums are of the opinion that Thailand doesn;t want long term farangs here, they being victimised, given a hard time...hard done by, from the Thai authorities.

...Have been here for 6 years and never experienced any of those things...all have been met with is a smiling face...ok things go wrong..TIT, just have to deal with it... you choose to live here...their country... their rules....

Lived/Worked in a lot of different places worldwide and Thailand may not be the best place in the world for certain things....but definitely not the worst...

Some of my worst experiences have been dealing with UK and US authorities, in comparision the Thai autorities are boy scouts....

The grass is not always greener...!!!!

I have to confess I don’t have the staying power of some of you folk. I am gradually increasing the percentage of time I spend in Singapore (a country I absolutely love) and reducing my time in Thailand.

Thailand is potentially a fantastic country but in its current state, my personal decision is not to put down roots here.

Singapore is OK, but it certainly isn't Thailand.

I think if you can earn money in Singapore and party in Thailand, you have the best of both worlds and are very lucky to have such a diverse choice within a very short and cheap flight time.

SE Asia... It's good here innit! :o

Edited by Maigo6

Singapore is OK, but it certainly isn't Thailand.

I think if you can earn money in Singapore and party in Thailand, you have the best of both worlds and are very lucky to have such a diverse choice within a very short and cheap flight time.

SE Asia... It's good here innit! :o

This is off topic. I've only spent a limited amount of time in Singapore. What employment opportunities are available for expats? I'm currently a VP of a mortgage company with a decent brand name. Probably should have used a PM to ask this question. I'll be moving to Thailand sometime next year and a little young (40) to retire. No problem if you don't have an answer - just curious.

I stay in Thailand because the climate is great, the cost of living is low, everyone is always smiling, and last but not least some of the Thai men are very very handsome indeed. Yummy.

How about all the handsome Farangs ? :o

I stay in Thailand because the climate is great, the cost of living is low, everyone is always smiling, and last but not least some of the Thai men are very very handsome indeed. Yummy.

I concur with you on the first two. But the smiling is often BS, but sometimes real. As for Thai men, well I beg to differ. Not yummy, and not at all to rely upon. Most of them have this tendency to lie and cheat, and to beat the living daylight out of their "loved ones". Sorry but this happens far too often to ignore.

I concur with you on the first two. But the smiling is often BS, but sometimes real. As for Thai men, well I beg to differ. Not yummy, and not at all to rely upon. Most of them have this tendency to lie and cheat, and to beat the living daylight out of their "loved ones". Sorry but this happens far too often to ignore.

Yep, they will have womens safe houses and womens refuges just like they have to have in the West soon.

Yep, they will have womens safe houses and womens refuges just like they have to have in the West soon.

Yes, I hope so. And you can spare your sarcasm and Thai apologist stance, we are tired of it. Of course all is not well in Farangland. But we must be allowed to point out shortcomings where we live, without your drivel. All is not well in the kingdom of Thailand. But some of us still choose to live here. OK?

I stay in Thailand NOT because the climate is...

one of the shittiest climates i can think of. my reason for staying in Thailand is because i love the thai taxman who does not bother whether i exist or not :o

Yes, I hope so. And you can spare your sarcasm and Thai apologist stance, we are tired of it. Of course all is not well in Farangland. But we must be allowed to point out shortcomings where we live, without your drivel. All is not well in the kingdom of Thailand. But some of us still choose to live here. OK?

Haha....

Only slagging off of Thailand and Thai people is allowed ?

Can't face another point of view, why ?

Hits too many nerves does it ?

What a wally. :o:D

Edited by Maigo6

I stay in Thailand NOT because the climate is...

one of the shittiest climates i can think of. my reason for staying in Thailand is because i love the thai taxman who does not bother whether i exist or not :o

We do not bother about you either Naam, if that will give you additional pleasure.

I have to agree on this one!

I have just got rid of my TG's bro who when on the whiskey is a complete arshole. I had to stay in a hotel till he left or I wouldn't have been able to resist bashing the prick and then what would have happened? We also find out he is a wife basher. Glad the prick has gone back to Bangers. Now today we find out that the manager we put in my tilak's laundry has been cleaning out the til. She has got the boot as well.

Anyway I am here for my business and work!! Great oportunities I see here in Sth East Asia.

All is not well in the kingdom of Thailand. But some of us still choose to live here. OK?

The way some of you guys go on, it's not that you choose to live here, it's like you're being held in Thailand against your will.

I just hope I never have those feelings.

Maybe it's cos i'm happy in Thailand, maybe that's what pisses people off.

If I slag Thai people and Thailand off it's OK, if I defend Thailand I'm an apologist who had rose tinted specs.

You have your view , I have mine, I prefer mine.....OK ?

Edited by Maigo6