Dont Buy A Bike From Tesco

Theyreallrubbish

DO NOT buy asian sports gears..

AND DO NOT buy their fitness gears. i used to sell that stuff and what they sell here its just pure rubbish and most of the time will end up hurting you..

ie: the threadmills are incredibly bad for your knees here, they might kill them if you have a small weakness before even breaking itself.. which should not take long

Lots of top sporting gear is produced in Asia .. especially in Japan. Shimano(sp?) is just on example. Some well respected pro quality fishing gear as well.

I do agree that a lot of junk is produced here .. but it's better to be specific that make generalizations.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

300lbs and yet you ride like 50 miles a day. Simply amazing.... and in this heat... I would think you would be a twig.

I think that you have the conversion the wrong way round - 25kms = 15.5 miles!

Last week I cycled in Melbourne which has cycle lanes everywhere and a great cycle track along the bay. I wouldn't cycle in Thailand except up to the local 7/11. Far to dangerous. Why did I see so many there wearing those shiny suits - are they really that concerned about streamlining or just posing?

It was weird having to wear a helemt too but practical I guess. Mr Hippo - buy a excerise bike then you could do it in an air-con room.

Not for streamlining or posing - comfort & safety! The lycra shorts are padded - ever tried going on a long ride wearing jeans? Sitting on that reinforced crotch seam is like sitting on a knife edge! Colourful tops are an aid to safety - there was a UK safety campaign years ago - See & Be Seen. The tops are cut longer in the back so that they don't ride up when cycling and also have three back pockets - hold a lot of stuff and can't fall out!

Exercise bike? I do have a virtual reality trainer but it's not the same as roadwork.

hipwl.jpg

Thanks for the links Mr Hippo. I'll have to give that a try. One of the problems (excuses?) I have is that I've only managed to find one decent loop here that I can do on 23mm tyres. It's often out on the same straight stretch of highway and that gets a bit dull after awhile. Sometimes I'm able to set goals like trying to catch one of the slower moving motorbikes or tuck in behind a samlor and draft for a bit to relieve the monotony. I always feel better for having gone out though. Hmmm ...endorphins. :o

Where, in Thailand, do you live? Next time, you change your tyres - may I suggest 700x25s? Just a bit more comfortable out here.

Under no circumstances should anyone hoping to keep a bike for more than a year purchase a bicycle that costs less than 12,000 baht. Even on a cheap bike like that one is going to have shimano clones and the cabling will be gone after a year. Under no circumstance should an adult be purchasing a bike from a supermarket.They do not know how to assemble or adjust anything on that bike. If I still can't true my rims or change a hub properly despite my basic mechanic skills, how can the grocery clerk know how to put a bike together. Look at those instructions. They are enough to make you want to fly to Taiwan or China where the bike was manufactured and go psycho on the manufacturer.

My hack bike is a Trek 3900 from ProBike - with discount, it cost 8500 Baht so where do you get this 12,000 Baht lower limit from? Shimano do a range of parts from the basic to the professional. Where do you think most frames are made now? Many manufacturers use frames are from Taiwan or China and this includes Trek, Raleigh, Dawes and others. I replace my cables every 12 months, also chains.

TESCOs sell the Crocodile brand. This is manufactured by the same Thai family that produces parts for Raleigh from a factory in Chonburi. I know them - very very dodgy family.

Edited by Loaded

Why do cyclists shave their legs??? That GOT to be a fetish!!!

It's all to do with aerodynamics - like putting 'go faster' stripes on cars! Many reasons have been put forward - more photogenic, less chance of infection in the case of a crash, better liniment absorption, Band-Aids don't stick on hairy legs and countless other reasons. The real reason? I don't know!

Hi :o

At some stage in early 2001 i bought a bicycle in Tesco Lotus On Nut. It was one of these Thai traditional ones, brand "Bowdang", with the little basket in the front and a passenger seat, even with foldable foot pegs!

Coming out of the store i took my wrench set out of my backpack and tightened all the nuts and bolts, which ALL were lose. Then i wanted to make the seat higher - and could not because the seat post was just 2 cm's deep in the frame and finish - laughably short.

So on my way home i sat on the thing like a monkey on a grind stone, hitting my ears with my knees when pedaling. However a bike shop on the way had the required seat post and i sat comfortably like back in Germany on my mountain bike.

The brakes were a joke - feet onto the ground stopped faster and more reliable. No chance to put V-brakes on. However - as a single speed with low transmission ratio i couldn't go fast anyway.

My idea was to ride around Bangkok on it. But there was a problem, directly related to the speed i was able to reach.

JUST enough to be for ever stuck behind buses! Not enough to pass them, ever. And on every bus stop i had to stop with them - couldn't pass left because of people getting in and out of the bus, couldn't pass right because of the traffic speeding by with centimeters to spare.

So all four times i dared to ride the bike i got home, blacker than an African and coughing my lungs out from the permanent exposure to Diesel soot.

The bike came to Chiang Mai and is since then DAILY used by my boyfriend's mum, and she does quite some miles with it - she's gone thru three sets of tyres in those 5 years since the bike is up there, and the bike itself is still going strong - a few broken spokes and a rusty handlebar (it's always standing outside behind the house), that's it. The brakes are still as when i left it there - she uses, like every Thai that i know, the feet only to safely and reliably stop whenever she needs to.

I have (in Germany) been on "the other side", working in a "Home Pro" like store with a bicycle department, my duty was to sell and fix bicycles (and scooters and cars). And i heard people say words like "don't dare to buy a bike here, it's all junk". Little did they know that our bikes came out of the same factory as Germany's leading brand "Focus"....... they were, in fact, absolutely identical bikes, with a different brand sticker and at a quarter of the price. Talk about "markup" here. And yes, we DID sell "XTR" equipped bikes for less than Shimano sold the "XTR" set alone. Why? Ask Shimano.......... they create the difference between the boxed set for enthusiasts and the 10-in-a-box sets delivered to bicycle factories.

Still, i myself have done a fair bit of cycling on my home-made (i had all the parts i wanted to my disposal - non-used "warranty kits" at the end of the year which were to be sent back to the factory, which didn't want them... so the employees took them home) and put a nice hardtail together, Steel frame, 27-speed with STX-RC rear derailer, old LX front, Deore everything else (rapidfire shifters, sprockets, hubs, crank, bearings etc), Tektro V-brakes with XTR shoes...... not too bad for a free bike essentially. What i wanted to say is that you don't need "all XTR" for anything but to show off your wealth. The upper middle-class "Deore" is just as good in precision and longevity, STX-RC even is very good, just a bit heavier than XT or XTR. And "Alivio" is perfect for allround cycling.

And yeah, being the fairy that i am i had a suspended seat post and a suspended (waddayacallit??) the thing that goes into the steering head and holds the steering bar (sorry my techie English is poor). Stem?? Wireless "Cat Eye" speedometer and a set of LED lights and clip-on fenders (otherwise, by German law, not allowed to ride on the road...) and done. Highest speed ever done with was 68 km/h (downhill on a loooong decline between Hammerstein and Idar-Oberstein, pumping like fury in highest gear) and that was WITHOUT any high-end equipment.

Morale of story: Supermarket-bikes can certainly be good bikes, and a little care and attention makes even the cheapest ones live long. The OP's problems could probably have been prevented had he tightened all bolts and nuts before the first ride - things, once lose, don't get better by using and when it finally bends down it's already too late for tightening - it's worn out. A colleague of mine rode a "Trek" 24.000-Baht bike with a lose left pedal arm until it finally fell off - now he needs new bottom gear AND pedal arm while "tightening the bolt" would have been sufficient earlier.

Best regards.......

Thanh

1. My hack bike is a Trek 3900 from ProBike - with discount, it cost 8500 Baht so where do you get this 12,000 Baht lower limit from? 2. Shimano do a range of parts from the basic to the professional. 3. Where do you think most frames are made now? Many manufacturers use frames are from Taiwan or China and this includes Trek, Raleigh, Dawes and others. 4.I replace my cables every 12 months, also chains.

1. My statement was based upon using manufacturer MSRP and a quick look at my MTB Annual parts compendium. TREK 3900 MSRP is approx. $500 USD (or 16,000 Bh using standard credit card conversion rate). Obviously, you got a deal and I have to acknowledge that.

2. Yes, I know as I ride on Shimano too. However with all due respect, the TREk 3900 specs are;Shifters-Shimano EF50, 8 speed, Front Derailleur -Shimano C050, Rear Derailleur- Shimano Acera & Crank SR Suntour XCC-T102. Cack components if you put any force into it and they will need to be replaced after a couple years of hard riding. The front derailleur retails for about $25USD as a replacement part etc. However, if this suits you, then it is not my place to question or judge. I just wouldn't want to be caught out in the middle of nowhere when the derailleurs jam or crack. It works for you and that's all that matters. It certainly suffices for the low impact rider to pedal to the 7-11 and back. People that purchase bikes in Tesco don't realize that those things are disposable and not are meant to last.

3. Yes, alot of frames come from China & Taiwan. Alot of crud found in Walmart & Tesco is sourced in China too and we know how long those products last. No argument that some of these frames are adequate or reliable (Taiwan only). However, those frames are usually what you find on lower end models that fall apart quickly or are heavy. The TREK 69 frames used to be sourced in Thailand. But those thinks were chunky. Just because the economy obliges the bulk of merchandise to be sourced from China does not mean the quality is there. If someone wants a great frame they have to go to one of the specialized manufacturers in the west and the handful in Taiwan. The best frames from Taiwan are similar in cost to the frames from the west because of the expertise and labour involved, something the slave factories in China cannot offer yet.

4. Do you think the typical rider that buys a low end bike can change a cable? They can't even change a flat. (No offense to you in this respect as it is a good skill, but perhaps your knowledge and abilities allow you to better handle maintenance and choose wisely, while the general public cannot.)

Mr. Hippo, apologies if this reads as snotty or rude. Not my intent. Just excitability on my part.

Mr Hippo,

I just joined bike journal and i'm catching up on you! You are #2656 and after my first ride i am now #4901 out of 5544. I got in big trouble though because i got lost in the middle of nowhere and was late home!

2. Yes, I know as I ride on Shimano too. However with all due respect, the TREk 3900 specs are;Shifters-Shimano EF50, 8 speed, Front Derailleur -Shimano C050, Rear Derailleur- Shimano Acera & Crank SR Suntour XCC-T102. Cack components if you put any force into it and they will need to be replaced after a couple years of hard riding. The front derailleur retails for about $25USD as a replacement part etc. However, if this suits you, then it is not my place to question or judge. I just wouldn't want to be caught out in the middle of nowhere when the derailleurs jam or crack.

4. Do you think the typical rider that buys a low end bike can change a cable? They can't even change a flat. (No offense to you in this respect as it is a good skill, but perhaps your knowledge and abilities allow you to better handle maintenance and choose wisely, while the general public cannot.)

Mr. Hippo, apologies if this reads as snotty or rude. Not my intent. Just excitability on my part.

(2) Even high end components break down. You mention that you 'wouldn't want to be caught out in the middle of nowhere when the derailleurs jam or crack'. Neither would I but the average cyclist would not be in the middle of nowhere. I remember being in North Wales one wintry night when my mate's XT rear mech imploded - No problem; just shorten the chain put it on a middle gear and limp home! As I said, the 3900 is my hack bike. A lot of components do need replacing after a few years - some keep going for years.

(4) After 50 years experience, I don't think there's a situation that I can't get out of. Apart from simple routine maintenance, my skills include wheel building. When I was involved withn a touring club in the UK (ended up as President), you would be amazed by the amount of spares that I used to carry including bottom brackets - in the days before sealed units! - spokes, ball bearings and a selection of nuts and bolts. Have you ever played 'Find the ball bearing' in a snow covered lay-by?

Don't worry about it, we cyclists do get passionate about our bikes! Where would we be without the Campag/Shimano debate ot the Alu/steel debate?

Mr Hippo,

I just joined bike journal and i'm catching up on you! You are #2656 and after my first ride i am now #4901 out of 5544. I got in big trouble though because i got lost in the middle of nowhere and was late home!

Yes, I noticed that you had joined. I normally log my ride in a morning so I have slipped a few places (was 2652) but I have noticed that you have 'slipped' also from 4901 to 4905! You are catching up and will possibly pass me - the main thing is that we enjoy cycling!

I knew it was a crap bike. I just wanted it for cycling round Chiang Mai downtown, not to do the tour de France. I just thought it would last 6 months before I had to ditch it not 6 days!

I have no interest in getting a "good" bike. Its not an interest or a hobby for me. Just one that works so that I can move around town a bit faster than walking but a bit more healthily than driving

Well, if you knew it was a crap bike and you still bought it - then it's your fault for buying it!

as previous poster said take it back they will exchange it noproblem at all.

I know, but I didn't expect it to be quite so crap as it turned out to be! :o

You can't expect quality, especially when the bike's brand name is Coppi. :o

One of the most revered names in road racing is Fausto Coppi - "Il Campionissimo" ("The Champion of the Champions")

The Coppi company are more noted for their road frames than for the kiddies mountain bikes. Great frames ranging from £675 to £2950 (US$1350 to US$5850)

I have (in Germany) been on "the other side", working in a "Home Pro" like store with a bicycle department, my duty was to sell and fix bicycles (and scooters and cars). And i heard people say words like "don't dare to buy a bike here, it's all junk". Little did they know that our bikes came out of the same factory as Germany's leading brand "Focus"....... they were, in fact, absolutely identical bikes, with a different brand sticker and at a quarter of the price. Talk about "markup" here. And yes, we DID sell "XTR" equipped bikes for less than Shimano sold the "XTR" set alone. Why? Ask Shimano.......... they create the difference between the boxed set for enthusiasts and the 10-in-a-box sets delivered to bicycle factories.

As I mentioned before, I purchased my bike through a whole sale distributor in Thailand. I once was buying frame from him, and he handed me Fuji frame.... I said I wanted a Diamond Back.... He then pulled the Fuji sticker off, and placed a Diamond Back sticker on the Frame!!!!!!!!!!

So I "Hear you, loud and clear..."

And yes, we DID sell "XTR" equipped bikes for less than Shimano sold the "XTR" set alone. Why? Ask Shimano.......... they create the difference between the boxed set for enthusiasts and the 10-in-a-box sets delivered to bicycle factories.

There is a simple answer to this and it occurs in many forms of retail. The cheaper XTR equipped bikes would have had last year, (or older), XTR equipment on them. It is an easy way to get rid of old stock. If you are only interested in the "bling" rather than the latest technology it's a cheaper way of doing it.

And yes, we DID sell "XTR" equipped bikes for less than Shimano sold the "XTR" set alone. Why? Ask Shimano.......... they create the difference between the boxed set for enthusiasts and the 10-in-a-box sets delivered to bicycle factories.

There is a simple answer to this and it occurs in many forms of retail. The cheaper XTR equipped bikes would have had last year, (or older), XTR equipment on them. It is an easy way to get rid of old stock. If you are only interested in the "bling" rather than the latest technology it's a cheaper way of doing it.

Nidge, some of us work in retail.... and we know how the game is played.

and for a lot of folks that believe heavily in the adv. slicks... the game is being played on them.

Why do cyclists shave their legs??? That GOT to be a fetish!!!

It's all to do with aerodynamics - like putting 'go faster' stripes on cars! Many reasons have been put forward - more photogenic, less chance of infection in the case of a crash, better liniment absorption, Band-Aids don't stick on hairy legs and countless other reasons. The real reason? I don't know!

I'll go with the "go-faster stripes idea - as well as fetish!....it's the process of sitting down and rubbing foam all over your legs and then.............

.........although I do find if I cycle in shorts the hairs on my legs tickle a bit!

I've had the same Diamond Back for 16 years...and I bought it second hand...it's still lighter than most bikes I encounter!

I've had the same Diamond Back for 16 years...and I bought it second hand...it's still lighter than most bikes I encounter!

I still have my first MTB, a red 1987 Diamond Back Ascent EX,

Shimano Exage Mountain Groupset

It has a Biopace front gears and a bottom U-Brake

Weinmann Rims (indestructable)

Tioga Farmer John Tires

18 speed

Tange Cro-Moly Steel Frame

I swapped the rear cogs out years ago and replaced them with Shimano 600 cogs