Dont Buy A Bike From Tesco

Theyreallrubbish

I bought a bike from Tesco Lotus for 2290 Baht. I knew it was a cheap bike but figured it would do for getting around town, and its just a bike, how bad can it be? The bike was superficially pretty good. dual suspension, 6 gears.

Anyway, a week later and the handlebar came loose! While I was struggling to get home with a loose handlebar causing me to wobble all over the place a pedal broke off!

Oh well, you get what you pay for I guess, but Tesco really shouldn't be selling somethiing that only lasts a week no matter how it prices it. I now have a much lower level of trust for the Tesco brand name knowing that they sell stuff that isn't fit for purpose.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a bike from Tesco Lotus for 2290 Baht. I knew it was a cheap bike but figured it would do for getting around town, and its just a bike, how bad can it be? The bike was superficially pretty good. dual suspension, 6 gears.

Anyway, a week later and the handlebar came loose! While I was struggling to get home with a loose handlebar causing me to wobble all over the place a pedal broke off!

Oh well, you get what you pay for I guess, but Tesco really shouldn't be selling somethiing that only lasts a week no matter how it prices it. I now have a much lower level of trust for the Tesco brand name knowing that they sell stuff that isn't fit for purpose.

Go back to customer services and if the store is as good as our local ( Udonthani ) you shouldn,t have no problem changing it for something else, bike or otherwise.

I couldn,t find my receipt, one time, but they still looked after me and exchanged the goods.

marshbags :o

Sounds like it was unpacked and set up for display but no nuts etc tightened before you took to the road?

...or are yo saying that the metal was too soft to be tightened?

It had been tightened, but the metal just wasn't strong enough and bent.

The bit of the pedal that broke was the plastic foot rest, but after it fell off the metal centre was bent. Again, really poor quality steel that just wasn't strong enough

if you bought it in tesco lotus they will exchange it with or without a reciept

Really? I didn't keep the receipt as its only a £30 bike after all.

I'm thinking I'll just toss it and write it off as my own dam_n fault for being cheap! And spend 6000 Baht or so on a decent(ish) bike

if you bought it in tesco lotus they will exchange it with or without a reciept

Really? I didn't keep the receipt as its only a £30 bike after all.

I'm thinking I'll just toss it and write it off as my own dam_n fault for being cheap! And spend 6000 Baht or so on a decent(ish) bike

Yes & I bet it weighed a lto too. I have found some good bike shops, trouble was, their prices.... You could buy 2 mopeds for quality:

Shimano XT or maybe XTR equiped etc.

Bikes are crazy expensive anywhere though, at least quality bikes are. I don't understand why, because every bike share the same problem.... you have to pedal the things.

And you are surprised? 2290Baht is about £37 or US$72 and for this you expect dual suspension and 6 gears? I don't know your nationality, height or weight but did you think you could get a good bike for that price? Two tyres for any of my bikes cost more than you paid for a whole bike!

How did you choose the size of the bike - just by looking at it? During the week before the handlebar came loose, did you check the bike over to make sure everything was tight? I bought a Trek from ProBike (My second from there) about 2 weeks ago and already, I have checked & adjusted it three times.

The chap in Tesco who assembled your bike was possibly stacking shelves the day before and in the car park the day after. Tesco do sell a lot of bikes but generally Thais are lighter than farang and tend to ride more gently. Also remember that bikes are not toys.

If you need help about choosing a bike, I or any of the other cyclists on this forum will be pleased to help. My choice for a good starter is the Trek 3900 (ProBike 8500Baht). For general riding around town, you do not need full suspension and even front suspension is debatable!

And you are surprised? 2290Baht is about £37 or US$72 and for this you expect dual suspension and 6 gears? I don't know your nationality, height or weight but did you think you could get a good bike for that price? Two tyres for any of my bikes cost more than you paid for a whole bike!

How did you choose the size of the bike - just by looking at it? During the week before the handlebar came loose, did you check the bike over to make sure everything was tight? I bought a Trek from ProBike (My second from there) about 2 weeks ago and already, I have checked & adjusted it three times.

The chap in Tesco who assembled your bike was possibly stacking shelves the day before and in the car park the day after. Tesco do sell a lot of bikes but generally Thais are lighter than farang and tend to ride more gently. Also remember that bikes are not toys.

If you need help about choosing a bike, I or any of the other cyclists on this forum will be pleased to help. My choice for a good starter is the Trek 3900 (ProBike 8500Baht). For general riding around town, you do not need full suspension and even front suspension is debatable!

I knew it was a crap bike. I just wanted it for cycling round Chiang Mai downtown, not to do the tour de France. I just thought it would last 6 months before I had to ditch it not 6 days!

I have no interest in getting a "good" bike. Its not an interest or a hobby for me. Just one that works so that I can move around town a bit faster than walking but a bit more healthily than driving

I knew it was a crap bike. I just wanted it for cycling round Chiang Mai downtown, not to do the tour de France. I just thought it would last 6 months before I had to ditch it not 6 days!

I have no interest in getting a "good" bike. Its not an interest or a hobby for me. Just one that works so that I can move around town a bit faster than walking but a bit more healthily than driving

BTW, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out

Well, if you knew it was a crap bike and you still bought it - then it's your fault for buying it!

Well, if you knew it was a crap bike and you still bought it - then it's your fault for buying it!

I know, but I didn't expect it to be quite so crap as it turned out to be! :o

Well, I bought a bike from Tesco almost 2 years ago for 1,800 baht and it's still going strong. Luck of the draw perhaps? 2000 baht may just be pocket change to you but it's very easy to take the bike back to the Tesco to get a refund.

DO NOT buy asian sports gears..

AND DO NOT buy their fitness gears. i used to sell that stuff and what they sell here its just pure rubbish and most of the time will end up hurting you..

ie: the threadmills are incredibly bad for your knees here, they might kill them if you have a small weakness before even breaking itself.. which should not take long

I have a giant expedition got it in 1999 cost me 2000guilders, great bike use it for camping trips (Benelux Germany).

I keep it in a lock up, now and again my street bike has a flat so i ride it to work and lock it to a rack with 3 different locks

I live in Amsterdam, did it two months ago when I went to ride the bike home the bastards had stolen the crank and pedals

took it to the shop the next day and its still there waiting to get the parts that fit ,they now tell me they have to replace the

axle as they do not make that type any more its going to cost me about 250euro I know why they stole it now.

Better the just took the bike at least its insured.

DO NOT buy asian sports gears..

AND DO NOT buy their fitness gears. i used to sell that stuff and what they sell here its just pure rubbish and most of the time will end up hurting you..

ie: the threadmills are incredibly bad for your knees here, they might kill them if you have a small weakness before even breaking itself.. which should not take long

A lot of high quality sport gear from fishing poles to bikes are made in Asia. I believe Finwick fishing poles are made in Thailand!

Asia is capable of makeing quality goods, you just have to have the right team doing the work. You also have to have a target market that can support the product.

Heck, ALPINE audio even has a facility in Thailand. So I do not buy into the concept that all things Asian = automatic crappy quality.

It is what it is... 2K baht bike. You can't even by a Shimano XTR derailer for 2K baht. Point is, you pay for what you get.

All be it, one would think 2K would deliver a bike thate would last beyond 6 days.... but apparently it does not.

Thanks for the heads up. I would guees you would have to spend at least 10K-16K baht to start to get into decent quality bikes, and that was true in Taiwan at least.

I bought a mountain bike from Halfords in the Uk. Largest motorist discount center we have here. Turns out all their bikes come from Thailand. I have thrashed mine into the ground. Even hit a lamp post on it, full on. That was painfull. Apart from a few punctures its a winner. Sounds like you were just unlucky. :o

For a quick idea of prices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-Shimano-XTR-9...1QQcmdZViewItem

It is just my un-educated opinion, but I think bike parts or maybe even bikes have some of the highest mark up in the realm of sports equipment.

It's not a case of a high mark-up but different quality. Your e-bay link shows the top of the range XTR groupset at US$1350, you can get the Alivio groupset for US$240 or almost 6 Alivio groupsets for one XTR! It's just like comparing cars - is the Toyota Camry worth almost double the Toyota Corolla? Only you can decide!

ProBike's cheapest Trek mountain bike is the 3900 at 10,500 Baht and the most expensive is the Elite 9.9 at 245,000 Baht and that is without pedals! Road bikes range from the 1.2 at 24,500 Baht up to the Madone 6.9 at 310,000 Baht - again no pedals! Is there any difference between the top and bottom of both the mountain bike and road bike ranges? Yes, there is - not only in terms of quality but responsiveness and ride quality.

I have three bikes here in Bangkok, a Trek 3900, a Trek 7200 and a custom framed road bike. If I were to let you ride the 3900 and then the 7200, you would immediately spot the difference between the two; don't worry, it won't happen, I would let you borrow my car but not one of my bikes! So it is all a case of 'horses for courses' - would I get the 310.000 Madone if I was just using it to get to the top of the soi? Of course not! Would I even consider a Madone? No, it's a great bike but not suitable for my purposes.

Relying on the old formula of 'n=x+1', I am already thing of my next bike!

For a quick idea of prices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-Shimano-XTR-9...1QQcmdZViewItem

It is just my un-educated opinion, but I think bike parts or maybe even bikes have some of the highest mark up in the realm of sports equipment.

It's not a case of a high mark-up but different quality. Your e-bay link shows the top of the range XTR groupset at US$1350, you can get the Alivio groupset for US$240 or almost 6 Alivio groupsets for one XTR! It's just like comparing cars - is the Toyota Camry worth almost double the Toyota Corolla? Only you can decide!

ProBike's cheapest Trek mountain bike is the 3900 at 10,500 Baht and the most expensive is the Elite 9.9 at 245,000 Baht and that is without pedals! Road bikes range from the 1.2 at 24,500 Baht up to the Madone 6.9 at 310,000 Baht - again no pedals! Is there any difference between the top and bottom of both the mountain bike and road bike ranges? Yes, there is - not only in terms of quality but responsiveness and ride quality.

I have three bikes here in Bangkok, a Trek 3900, a Trek 7200 and a custom framed road bike. If I were to let you ride the 3900 and then the 7200, you would immediately spot the difference between the two; don't worry, it won't happen, I would let you borrow my car but not one of my bikes! So it is all a case of 'horses for courses' - would I get the 310.000 Madone if I was just using it to get to the top of the soi? Of course not! Would I even consider a Madone? No, it's a great bike but not suitable for my purposes.

Relying on the old formula of 'n=x+1', I am already thing of my next bike!

Mr. Hippo

I am talking margin to cost ratios as "mark up." Believe it or not, I too have been in to bikes, I have owned Trek, Giant, K2, & Cannondale. In my younger days I rode all over the mountains of Taiwan, and rode about 20 miles a day.

Those days are over, I got over the urge... but I was around bikes enough to see huge mark ups on parts that are essentially the same in quality if not the same from a DX to XT. Any how, enjoy your bikes.

IMO, suspension on a road bike (or a mountain bike that is to be used on the road) is a complete waste of money, your own energy and it's also extra weight; every cyclist's enemy. A substantial amount of pedalling effort is sapped by suspension; it's only really necessary on downhill mountain biking or very bumpy terrain. The only time that I can think that I would use it on the road is if I were riding the Paris-Roubaix and I don't plan on doing that. My road racing days are long-gone. :o

But it stands to reason that, on a cheap bike, suspension means that corners will have been cut elsewhere. If you want a cheap bike for just knocking around town, go for a basic granny-shopper with one speed.

Lucky that I only need the crank and pedals then, still wish they had nicked the bike and I could claim from the insurance

hope they don't start to tell me I really need all the rest as well.

I may have to start looking for a new bike,By the way I ride for the exercise and to get some fresh air out of the city

age should not stop you riding.

I am lucky that I live in the Netherlands that must be the most bike friendly country there is

I started a post about a week ago asking about Mountain Bikes for sale in Pattaya. The only reply I got was one recommending the 3000 baht bike from Tesco. Glad I waited and had a chance to read this thread.

I to was once into biking. Back home collecting dust is my Greg Lamond fitted out w top of the Shimano. I think it weighs about an ounce. Well perhaps a bit more. I am not looking for anything like that. Just something I can ride to the gym and back 4-5 times a week (wishful thinking) and maybe something I can throw into the back of my truck and have something to ride around when get to wherever I'm visiting.

Any recommendations to shops in Pattaya where I can find good quality bikes at fair prices ???

Probably some Chinese made piece of shit. I'd dump it somewhere for someone else to find or give it to someone you don't like.

Mr. Hippo

I am talking margin to cost ratios as "mark up." Believe it or not, I too have been in to bikes, I have owned Trek, Giant, K2, & Cannondale. In my younger days I rode all over the mountains of Taiwan, and rode about 20 miles a day.

Those days are over, I got over the urge... but I was around bikes enough to see huge mark ups on parts that are essentially the same in quality if not the same from a DX to XT. Any how, enjoy your bikes.

Yet in an earlier post, you said "It is just my un-educated opinion..." - so which is it?

IMO, suspension on a road bike (or a mountain bike that is to be used on the road) is a complete waste of money, your own energy and it's also extra weight; every cyclist's enemy. A substantial amount of pedalling effort is sapped by suspension; it's only really necessary on downhill mountain biking or very bumpy terrain. The only time that I can think that I would use it on the road is if I were riding the Paris-Roubaix and I don't plan on doing that. My road racing days are long-gone. :o

I have ridden parts of the L'Enfer du Nord on normal bike, full suspension and front suspension but much prefer no suspension. I don't feel safe on full suspension!

I started a post about a week ago asking about Mountain Bikes for sale in Pattaya. The only reply I got was one recommending the 3000 baht bike from Tesco. Glad I waited and had a chance to read this thread.

Any recommendations to shops in Pattaya where I can find good quality bikes at fair prices ???

I think in your previous post, you were looking for second hand. If you do a search of this forum, you will find a list of good bike shops in Pattaya.

Probably some Chinese made piece of shit. I'd dump it somewhere for someone else to find or give it to someone you don't like.

You will be surprised at the number of well known and respected marques that now use Chinese made frames - lower end Trek, Raleigh, Dawes to name but three.

You will be surprised at the number of well known and respected marques that now use Chinese made frames - lower end Trek, Raleigh, Dawes to name but three.

Not long ago, they were all made in Taiwan. Should have stuck with them.