Property Lines And Setbacks

I am not aware of the official limits, but I can tell you when I was building a house and landscaping in Khon Kaen all we had to do was get the neighbors to sign an agreement saying we could build / plant close to the boundary . Did not cost anything and the man from the land office had all the forms.

I have been "told" many times that the setback, for planting trees, from a property line is two meters, I have also "heard" that it can be 1/2 meter and have seen oil palms planted at 1 meter.

Does anyone know a correct answer? or is there one?

I think it would be similar to most civilized countries ,where it dictates that you cannot/should not allow your tree to encroach or overhang anothers property.

I have not heard of an actual setback distance, so its probably better to plant after consultation with the other property owner. I recollect when I suggested planting euca,s on 6 rai we (she) bought ,I was told in short order that you dont plant trees when your land adjoins rice fields because of the shade factor.

I have been "told" many times that the setback, for planting trees, from a property line is two meters, I have also "heard" that it can be 1/2 meter and have seen oil palms planted at 1 meter.

I think it would be similar to most civilized countries ,where it dictates that you cannot/should not allow your tree to encroach or overhang anothers property.

I have not heard of an actual setback distance, so its probably better to plant after consultation with the other property owner. I recollect when I suggested planting euca,s on 6 rai we (she) bought ,I was told in short order that you dont plant trees when your land adjoins rice fields because of the shade factor.

Doesn't seem to be a problem with planting trees right next to the property line in my mooban in Pathum Thani.  Note, a mooban, not farm land.

Note, tho, buy Thai law, the neighbor's mangoes than hang over on your side of the lawn are YOURS, and vice versa.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Your rice-growing neighbour was also probably concerned about leaching of acids from the euca. leaf litter. A native species, preferably with free fruit overhanging the boundary!, might have been more warmly received. :o

Your rice-growing neighbour was also probably concerned about leaching of acids from the euca. leaf litter. A native species, preferably with free fruit overhanging the boundary!, might have been more warmly received. :o

Must have been the "power of suggestion". I went up to the block the other day and found that the neighbour had planted a double row of eucalyptus on top of the bung wall dividing our paddies.

I "bought" a piece of property some time back and the next door owner had planted his palm trees 1 meter from the property line. His mother was nice enough to come over, be for I asked, and advise me that he who came first got to plant where he wanted.

So who knows, talking usually helps, but not always.

I "bought" a piece of property some time back and the next door owner had planted his palm trees 1 meter from the property line. His mother was nice enough to come over, be for I asked, and advise me that he who came first got to plant where he wanted.

So who knows, talking usually helps, but not always.

So true, I have my doubts as to whether there is legislation in Los re property lines,I know from experience that if you want a boundary fence you pay for it yourself.