Reboot Problem

gcrutcher

Hi,

Anyone have any idea why, when I do a restart under Win XP, my computer will close Win XP but not reboot.

Windows XP closes, then the system goes through what seems like a reboot, but just sits there doing nothing.

If I turn the power off, wait 1 minute, then turn it back on, everything is ok.

Things to note: I originally installed a boot manager because I had WinXP and Linux on my hard drive.

I removed Linux but the boot manager is still there, defaulting to WinXP.

Any ideas?

Gary

Does it also happen when you're shutting down windows or only on restart?

Try installing the Hive Cleanup service fix by Microsoft, and see if that helps:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

It only happens on reboot.

Windows shutdowns, but the computer, itself, does not reboot.

Gary

Edited by gcrutcher

Guest Reimar

It could be an Bios problem too. If the cache memory isn't cleared, that symptom could be happens.

May to download an Bios update and install it.

Cheers.

There are no updates for my BIOS.

Could it be problem with the boot manager?

If yes, how do I uninstall the boot manager without messing up my boot drive?

Gary

Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with your boot manager, as it is only called when the system 'boots'. As you've described it windows never actually shuts down. Sounds to me like you should run a few antivirus programs to see if there is some program that is sitting in the background not closing down.

try going into the commandline (windows+R, type cmd, press enter) and run shutdown -r -t 10 which will -restart the computer.

if that causes the same problem as you experienced before, use shutdown -r -f -t 10 instead which will -force the programs to quit .. the -t 10 just means -time to wait before shutting down.

shutdown -r -f -t 10 did not work. Still cannot reboot computer without powering it off.

Sometimes I have to wait 10 mins before I can turn it back on otherwise the drive light comes on...then goes off...then the

computer sits there and does nothing. Same thing happens during a reboot.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

shutdown -r -f -t 10 did not work. Still cannot reboot computer without powering it off.

Sometimes I have to wait 10 mins before I can turn it back on otherwise the drive light comes on...then goes off...then the

Has your XP always had this behaviour or is it a recent thing?

If its recent are you sure its from the linux bootloader? Are you certain that when you choose 'Shutdown' that the computer powers off completely? or is it just hanging with a black screen?

I too have had issues with a combination of unbalanced power supplies with no ground. Environmental conditions in Thailand aren't very computer friendly I'm afraid.

This makes me think it is a hardware issue not software. You might get one of the hardware test programs and run for several hours and see what happens. From whats been said I would suspect the HDD is going south so you might download the test program from drive manufacturer.

I would certainly make a backup of any important data you have on the HDD just in case.

Yes, this is a fairly recent problem - say happening over the past few months - but not this serious.

The drive is a little over 1 year old.

I will download some hardware test programs and check things out.

Thanks for the help everyone.