Thai Computer, Internet And Mobile Phone Users On Rise

george

Thai computer, internet and mobile phone users on rise

BANGKOK: -- The number of users of computers, the internet and mobile telecommunication devices in Thailand is on the increase, according to official statistics.

A recent survey released by Thailand's National Statistical Office found users of computers soared up from 15.39 million in 2006 to 16 million in 2007 or 26.8 per cent of the total population. Internet users have also picked up from 8 million in 2006 to 9 million in 2007.

According to the National Statistical Office of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ITC), Bangkok has the greatest density of users of both computers and the internet, accounting for 40.2 per cent and 29.9 per cent, respectively. The central region runs the second in the number of users of both categories while the northeastern region is reported to least enjoy the popularity of the technologies at 22.9 and 11.9 per cent, respectively.

The survey, based on information acquired from respondents from age 6, also demonstrates more people are using mobile phones, resulting in a reduction of landline telephone users. The number of people in possession of mobile phones is reported to be as high as 28.29 million or 47 per cent of the total population.

Similar to the survey pertaining computer and internet users, mobile phones are most popular in Bangkok and least received in the northeastern region or at 68 and 37.7 per cent, respectively.

The survey also reveals that Thai families are using fewer landline telephones, at the number of 24.3 per 100 households—a decline from 2006 at 24.8 and 2005 at 26.8. The growing popularity of mobile phone use is said to stem from the more competitive price and more convenience the portable devices have to offer.

--TNA 2008-04-16

Thai computer, internet and mobile phone users on rise

BANGKOK: -- The number of users of computers, the internet and mobile telecommunication devices in Thailand is on the increase, according to official statistics.

A recent survey released by Thailand's National Statistical Office found users of computers soared up from 15.39 million in 2006 to 16 million in 2007 or 26.8 per cent of the total population. Internet users have also picked up from 8 million in 2006 to 9 million in 2007.

According to the National Statistical Office of the Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (ITC), Bangkok has the greatest density of users of both computers and the internet, accounting for 40.2 per cent and 29.9 per cent, respectively. The central region runs the second in the number of users of both categories while the northeastern region is reported to least enjoy the popularity of the technologies at 22.9 and 11.9 per cent, respectively.

The survey, based on information acquired from respondents from age 6, also demonstrates more people are using mobile phones, resulting in a reduction of landline telephone users. The number of people in possession of mobile phones is reported to be as high as 28.29 million or 47 per cent of the total population.

Similar to the survey pertaining computer and internet users, mobile phones are most popular in Bangkok and least received in the northeastern region or at 68 and 37.7 per cent, respectively.

The survey also reveals that Thai families are using fewer landline telephones, at the number of 24.3 per 100 households—a decline from 2006 at 24.8 and 2005 at 26.8. The growing popularity of mobile phone use is said to stem from the more competitive price and more convenience the portable devices have to offer.

--TNA 2008-04-16

I am not saying these figures aren't correct but the way it is written is very confusing: 'users of computers' is something different than 'internet users' and 'internet connections/subscribers':

"8,465,800 Internet users as of Sept/07, 13.0% penetration, per ITU

105,000 broadband subscribers as of Sept.30/07, per ITU"

http://www.internetworldstats.com/asia.htm#th

13.0% Internet penetration is only half as what Thailand's National Statistical Office describes as 'computer users': 26.8%

Thailand isn't yet in the top 10 Internet countries chart:

post-13995-1208342944_thumb.png

Thailand's internet penetration is about the same as Asia's average internet penetration....:

post-13995-1208343193_thumb.png

More info: http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Hopefully the rising users of both computers and internet....will result in better ADSL coverage and higher speeds outside the cities....one can only wish....so that we can get rid of the sattelite out in the yard..

In my "old" country(Denmark).....everybody have access to broadband internet of some kind....

Claus

Hopefully the rising users of both computers and internet....will result in better ADSL coverage and higher speeds outside the cities....one can only wish....so that we can get rid of the sattelite out in the yard..

In my "old" country(Denmark).....everybody have access to broadband internet of some kind....

Claus

Claus, I would think we are more likely to have a white xmas

In Bangkok Post Database someone mentioned a new connectivity standard - 2 mbps to each home (it used to be a telephone line for each home).

I'm afraid Thailand has to look at wireless solutions to achieve anywhere near that.

So wot's new? If a Thai can't stick a mobile in their ear every five minutes, I think they might die on the spot!

As for internet use just visit something like Camfrog, where thousands of them spend both awake and asleep glued to the internet! WHY?

Because there isn't anywhere and anything to do!

Till the government and towns give them the pleasure we can enjoy in Europe, such as leisure centers, swimming pools, cinemas that are modern, clean inside with A/C, etc.

The poor buggers only have their motorcycles to drive round and round, can't even rely on a decent local bus services!

Life is easier to chat on mobiles and internet, and sit around just look at their backsides going the way of the USA. even their TV is mind numbing!

Everyday all morning Chat shows about nothin! or chinese movies! haaa! mmmm? Ooooo! Blah blah blah lipstick blah T shirt blah cotton bag ughhhh! ohooo!

Edited by peterandcat

Till the government and towns give them the pleasure we can enjoy in Europe, such as leisure centers, swimming pools, cinemas that are modern, clean inside with A/C, etc.

Are we in the same Thailand? Bangkok has extremely up to date cinemas that are clean with A/C as well as leisure centers and swimming pools. Maybe you should walk outside the bar area.

If a Thai can't stick a mobile in their ear every five minutes, I think they might die on the spot!

Courtesy of the same Database, nomophobia is a new disease in the UK, too.

NO MObile Phobia, geddid? - as they say.

Close to 50% of the population have mobile phones, about right from my oberservation. I noticed the re cycle man (plastic, paper, etc) had a mobile phone the other morning. Now figure the amount of time each phone is used during normal working hours, by the people who are at the work place, and you may see why productivity appears to be dropping. A Friend of mine insists that workers turn in mobil phones when they report to work each morning. His employee number for work accomplished is probably 1/4 less than those same type of businesses, who allow mobile at the work site. The mobile phone industry in Thailand goes a long way in showing how advertisement of nothing for something will work. We used to think a auto, for pleasure, was the worst investment you could make but the mobile phone may take its place.

Close to 50% of the population have mobile phones, about right from my oberservation. I noticed the re cycle man (plastic, paper, etc) had a mobile phone the other morning. Now figure the amount of time each phone is used during normal working hours, by the people who are at the work place, and you may see why productivity appears to be dropping.

A Friend of mine insists that workers turn in mobil phones when they report to work each morning. His employee number for work accomplished is probably 1/4 less than those same type of businesses, who allow mobile at the work site.

The mobile phone industry in Thailand goes a long way in showing how advertisement of nothing for something will work. We used to think a auto, for pleasure, was the worst investment you could make but the mobile phone may take its place.

:D Clever friend you have. I doubt if such a rule would pass/be accepted in Western offices/factories/work places.....

Anybody ? :o

LaoPo

It's too bad that Thai landlines are not more commonplace. I have a friend who lives just a few kilometers from the city and he doesn't even have a landline. It would cost him hundreds of thousands of baht to have one installed, so he uses an alternative Internet solution.

The connectivity sure is lacking at times, especially during storms. As soon as one can hear thunder on the horizon and the wind starts blowing...OUT! goes the Internet connection. It's strange. I don't live in the big city of Bangkok, but live in a province.

Are we in the same Thailand? Bangkok has extremely up to date cinemas that are clean with A/C as well as leisure centers and swimming pools. Maybe you should walk outside the bar area.

Oh! Dick, not all of us live in Bangkok! We love Thailand and the Thai people, the fresh air and thankfully Bangkok is only a place to visit once in awhile, don't need to stay in the big city, if I did that I might as well go back to London. In fact too much money is spent on pleasure in the city! Remember the workers come from the country because they are given nothin to make them wanna stay, 'cause the govt keep it down there for their own selfish reasons!

Now where is that bar? Walk? Don't think so! 'cause its not next to my place! Must be next to you?

Edited by peterandcat

Blame for the lack of land lines, falls on the telephone companies, in the UK when new buildings go up the telephone company gives materials free to install to the builders. (saves them going in later to put a cable in).

The truth is whereever there are power lines so should there be telephone cables into every village and hamlet! and there is! every village head has a government telephone installed ( exceptions noted then it is a radio system). Of course if there is a payphone then....well theres the answer, wouldn't wanna bore you with the tech specs!