Thaivisa Launches Online Food Supermarket

Totster

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only food 'worth' buying online is probably canned food, if we may call that food ...

It is amazing to see the people reacting to this thread and their choice of what they think is quality food ...

I am not surprised most come from the anglo-saxon world where you find it extraordinary cool to have mint sauce with your lamb !!...

Don't take this personnaly... we live in a free world

It is a very Anglo Saxon selection and not much of interest to Americans who wouldn't know Bisto sauce from their left foot. How about some diversity? How about some matzohs?

If you do, it would be the only place in Thailand to get them so the market might be bigger than you think. To simplify it, just one variety, Manischewitz (from US) plain, unsalted, matzohs in the box would do the trick. A long shelf life product and not too heavy, what's not to like?

You may ask, why would people want matzohs year round other than for the matzoh holiday? Good question.

- peanut butter and jelly/jam on a matzoh is heaven and there is no replacement for the crispy experience (maybe vegemite/marmite would work too but I can't comment)

- matzoh brie for breakfast, wet matzohs with water to soften and break into pieces, soak in beaten eggs, fry in butter or olive oil, salt to taste (also good served with sliced avocados/tomato and spiced up with paprika or even chilies)

Edited by Jingthing

that is a great idea, too bad you don't deliver to koh phangan! :o any plans to change that?

p.s. i agree some american additions would be nice too

Edited by girlx

that is a great idea, too bad you don't deliver to koh phangan! :o any plans to change that?

Really? I'd have thought islands such as Pha Ngan would be a major source of custom, seems they've missed a trick there if this is true...

Also, any answer on the alcohol question I asked earlier?

Edited by dantilley

All looks good, but I can't really see much use for it here in bangkok as there's nothing there which I can't get by traveling 5 minutes to Villa. But as you say that's not your target market... Will be interesting to see if the wish-list can bring in some new products not on the shelves in Villa though.

Also, if you do get an order from someone in Bangkok, can you deliver same day, and with a cheaper delivery charge? I.e. in a Food-By-Phone type way, where groceries come within the hour.

Finally, are you allowed to have alcoholic items on your list? Or is this pending a liquor license?

Good luck though, seems good.

PS: The scrolling marquee-style ticker with product photos is quite bugged in Firefox.

I agree the marquee banner at the top of the 'Home' page needs a little work. Even using Internet Explorer there seems to be a bug or two.... Please keep the bugs away from the food....lol... The beef looks great, I'm sure I'll be ordering some as soon as I return from the USA as another poster has stated the prices are nearly half as much a rimping... (I hope the quality is just as good or better.)

I will add to the 'wish' list as soon as I can stop my mouth from watering after looking the site over. I agree, it needs a little more American to it, perhaps some Kraft macaroni and cheese to start with and a side of Khans weiners.... or Brownville's brautwurst.

You let us down , all the items can be got elsewhere. Just had a very big Tesco open here in Phetchabun , with cinemas and next month our Big C will open right next door!

Spoke to the english manger overseeing everything, when we asked he supplied cheese! not just one hard cheese but, a complete range!

Just spoke to him about Fray Bentos tinned pie range, doesnt promise but, if its possible he will get, due to the fact they are tinned, long expiry date, he said it is possible that the big bosses might ship in a container and see how they go! So we wait and see!

As he said! Ask, give information and you never know?

By the way told him about the companies in Pattaya who sell frozen pies. BuT I still go Foodland and villa and the TOPs stores to get a side of T-bone for the freezer thro. never touch Tesco own packed beef always looks as if someone as slept with it!!

So in answer to Thaivisa, go on make my day, import something that I can't get here, (Hmm Adsa fresh bread!! just kidding!) and on behalf of the EU members, something for them as well!

Well done, ThaiVisa!

As usual, many missed the point.

Of course you can get this stuff in the more popular cities - especially Bangkok.

That's where TV's partner is too (roughly)!

However, for all us out in the sticks, it could be very useful.

Some products are a bit suspect:

1] fruit cordial made from fresh fruit in a land over-flowing with REAL fresh fruit?

2] gravy granules; what's wrong with flour and meat juices?

The spelling and grammar could be improved a lot too. ('Off coarse' for 'of course' and 'Grain Fed Beefburgers' doesn't sound right :o ).

Good luck, I know it's early days.

Regards,

Owen

Well the association is with the Aussie small goods company, but not a lot of Aussie stuff in there, more English than anything. Read the "about us" part in the intro regarding the beef etc.

I was shocked by the prices, but then I don't live in a highly populated Farang area, so maybe this is the normal, someone said it was cheap which actually left me speechless. If prices are this high then I can now understand some people having huge outgoings, this comes back to other posts where people want to know can they survive on a certain amount etc. I just thought they were living overly extravagant lifestyles.

Finally, are you allowed to have alcoholic items on your list? Or is this pending a liquor license?

PS: The scrolling marquee-style ticker with product photos is quite bugged in Firefox.

If it were possible to have a TV house wine at a sensible price, (not french or Italian) shipped in bulk and packed locally to get around the outrageous 400% duty like Mont Clair are doing with their 5 ltr red, packed in BKK, which i buy in Chiang Mai for 870 tbt - there would be a big market

Thai Visa:

Congratulations on your new business.

I’m srachai living in Khonkaen city.

Are the following items abailable?

Imported good Japanese green tea. (sencha)

frozen raw fish for sashimi (salmon, tuna)

Hi,

Only items currently listed in the online store are available

See here - food.thaivisa.com

Totster :o

If it were possible to have a TV house wine at a sensible price, (not french or Italian) shipped in bulk and packed locally to get around the outrageous 400% duty like Mont Clair are doing with their 5 ltr red, packed in BKK, which i buy in Chiang Mai for 870 tbt - there would be a big market

Yes, a decent selection of wines would be great. Some Belgian, German and Czech beers would go down well also, and would definitely be popular I think.

Are these possible?

Are the sausage rolls per kilo or each ? How many in a kilo ?

Same same for the meat pie.

MrPaddy, All products is per kilo unless otherwise stated (pies, rolls etc. are priced per item)

Well if you look at your site, you see the pies and sausage rolls state the price and nothing more, not per kilo and not as in the apple pie it says 165gms.

So 110 and 120 baht is an expensive pie and sauce....oh wait that does not include the sauce.

Even worse if I have my pie delievered, it will cost me 570 baht.

Off-topic posts have been deleted, if you have issues with other sections of the forum then the place to post is in Forum Support. If you do not wish to receive emails from Thai Visa then you need to go into your own control panel and remove email notifications.

Please do not hijack this topic with your unrelated issues, thanks.

Are the sausage rolls per kilo or each ? How many in a kilo ?

Same same for the meat pie.

MrPaddy, All products is per kilo unless otherwise stated (pies, rolls etc. are priced per item)

Well if you look at your site, you see the pies and sausage rolls state the price and nothing more, not per kilo and not as in the apple pie it says 165gms.

So 110 and 120 baht is an expensive pie and sauce....oh wait that does not include the sauce.

Even worse if I have my pie delievered, it will cost me 570 baht.

It is not so expensive if you order over 2500B of product and get free delivery, especially when, for example, a person like myself has to drive for over two hours in any direction to get to the nearest supermarket/shop selling "farang" style sausages/pies/meat etc.

George/Tots - how about a "bulk buy" discount or a points scheme for "bonus" discount on cumulative purchase? :o

Cheers,

Soundman.

Great range of products.. prices are a too steep for my liking. I won't name names BUT another meat producer in the Bangkok area is at 35 percent cheaper than your prices and delivery is also cheaper. Is it possible to ask where the meat products like the sausages, burgers etc.. are from?? which company or are you making them yourself at HQ of Thaivisa??

cheers

Thaihedgehog :o:D

We do not currently deliver meat products to the islands Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.

Doesn't anyone find that strange that SBK who lives on Koh Phangan was telling us all how good the steaks were???????? :o

We were given the chance to pre-order and I found the beef to be a very high quality, very tasty, very tender and a nice flavor. Haven't had a nice steak like that in quite some time :D

Scratching my head at the moment...........

I was the guinea pig, Tatler. TNT could not deliver ontime as promised, the meat came but it had defrosted., So, in the interests of the health safety of our Koh Phangan & Koh Tao members George decided to remove us from the list. Pity TNT couldn't figure out a way to get it here faster.

And yes, I ate it, and no, I didn't get botulism. But I don't mind being a guinea pig and have a stomach of steel :o

I was the guinea pig, Tatler. TNT could not deliver ontime as promised, the meat came but it had defrosted., So, in the interests of the health safety of our Koh Phangan & Koh Tao members George decided to remove us from the list. Pity TNT couldn't figure out a way to get it here faster.

And yes, I ate it, and no, I didn't get botulism. But I don't mind being a guinea pig and have a stomach of steel :D

That is a pity !! glad you are alive and well... :o:D

Although i am not (yet) reisendt in Thailand I think that this is an excellent idea. While my own Thai home is currently in Bangkok, a second home "up north" is inevitable at some point and I would certainly be a user. I currently live in Delhi and even in the capital if India some things are very hard to get (esp beef!). I only wish that there was something similar here.

Thaivisa Launches Online Food Supermarket

food.thaivisa.com

BANGKOK: -- Thaivisa.com has partnered with leading food suppliers in Bangkok to deliver good quality “farang” food direct to your doorstep, nationwide in Thailand

Launched today, Thaivisa Food aims to give all expats living in Thailand access to some of the favourite tastes from home, that may normally only be available to those living in Bangkok or other built up areas.

Customers will be able to choose from a broad range of goods, including premium grain fed beef products, cheeses, gourmet products and a large selection of imported groceries including old favourites such as Marmite, Branston Pickle, Bisto and Robinsons Squash.

Having a BBQ ? Why not offer your guests a real treat and cook them proper sausages like found at home, high quality grain fed beef burgers, and a selection of superior quality grain fed beef steaks, all your favourite cuts available.

Products will be dispatched from Bangkok and delivered next day via TNT to ensure they arrive in the best possible condition.

--thaivisa.com 2008-04-17

Url: http://food.thaivisa.com