Cost Of Stents

chiang mai

This is a bit of a long shot but I figured it was worth asking the question here:

The cost of Angioplasty in Thailand at the major Western style hospitals seems very high - Bumrungrad quoted me 600,000 Baht per stent for a total procedure cost of around 2.0 Baht mill. - Bangkok Phuket comes similarly close. I am going to need two stents shortly and I cannot claim the cost on medical insurance because it is already described as an existing condition. Is anyone aware of the cost of stents in the UK and/or, has anyone had this procedure performed recently at a more sensible cost?

While you can certainly get this done for less than the cost at Bumrungrad and Bangkok Phuket, it's still going to cost a fair bit. This is due to the cost of the stents themselves, and it will apply even if you have the surgery at a government hospital.

I suggest you contact the following for quotes. These are as inexpensive as you are going to get without sacrificing quality of care:

Phyathai 2 Hospital Heart Center [email protected]

Saint Louis Hospital

Phyathai 2 is a medium sized private hospital popular with middle-class Thais, It has a well equipped and up to date heart center and competent staff. Loacted near Victory Mionument.

Saint Luois is a nont-for-rpofit international hospital. Located on Sathorn Road. <http://www.saintlouis.or.th/contact/index.php>

If you are from the UK, can you not get this done under the NHS?

Good luck

While you can certainly get this done for less than the cost at Bumrungrad and Bangkok Phuket, it's still going to cost a fair bit. This is due to the cost of the stents themselves, and it will apply even if you have the surgery at a government hospital.

I suggest you contact the following for quotes. These are as inexpensive as you are going to get without sacrificing quality of care:

Phyathai 2 Hospital Heart Center [email protected]

Saint Louis Hospital

Phyathai 2 is a medium sized private hospital popular with middle-class Thais, It has a well equipped and up to date heart center and competent staff. Loacted near Victory Mionument.

Saint Luois is a nont-for-rpofit international hospital. Located on Sathorn Road. <http://www.saintlouis.or.th/contact/index.php>

If you are from the UK, can you not get this done under the NHS?

Good luck

Thanks for the pointers Sheryl. I am indeed from the UK but I've been non-resident for many years and I understand that the NHS will not provide services free of charge. What I was hoping to get from this thread is an indication of the costs associated with paid treatment in the UK. My most recent CT Scan and Angiogram suggests I may have up to one year before this is required but required it will be at some point. In the meantime it's the gym, statins and healthy food, all on a very regular basis.

How about Siriraj, a gov't hospital? I believe they do the heart work on very high profile Thais (the King, fmr. PM Chuan) should be good.

As Sheryl says, the cost of the stents is unavoidably high.

I was quoted 800k at AEK in Udon, so I jumped on an el cheapo to Melbourne and had them done FOC,but of course Oz isnt the UK,point is I had not been back for 6 years but because I was having up to 8 big Angina attacks per day (had one in the waiting room) they operated an hour after I went in the door.

90% blockage one side 70% the other ,silly thing is I had no warning until the first one hit.

Dont leave it to long CM as each attack leaves irrepairable (sp) damage to the heart.

I was quoted 800k at AEK in Udon, so I jumped on an el cheapo to Melbourne and had them done FOC,but of course Oz isnt the UK,point is I had not been back for 6 years but because I was having up to 8 big Angina attacks per day (had one in the waiting room) they operated an hour after I went in the door.

90% blockage one side 70% the other ,silly thing is I had no warning until the first one hit.

Dont leave it to long CM as each attack leaves irrepairable (sp) damage to the heart.

Good advice indeed, fortunately I'm symptom free and IHD was only discovered as a result of the stress test during my annual check up - 80% on my side, totally free on the other. Who says the annual check up is a waste of time - makes me wonder how many folks are out there that don't have any idea about the nasty shock that's waiting for them (or their loved ones). I believe I may just take a trip back to the UK for a holiday in the summer and register with a doctor again, at least that way the two year waiting period will have begun.

Sounds like a good idea mate, I had regularly done the stress tests and could run the treadmill to a standstill (we got them free in Oz through the heart foundation).

I was 68 last year and still able to work 8-10 hours on the farm every day, and the first attack came out of the blue, after the third one of the day which was a real ball tearer I drove the 75km to Udon where they did an electro cardiogram and stuck me in ICU at 2.30 am.

Next morning they were more interested in whether I had 800k for stents than in anything else ,to rub salt in the wound ,they had not even done the Angiogram at that stage so they were purely on a marketing exercise .

It is a relatively pain free and quick procedure, some people only spend 10 hours in post-op IC then out the door. I was out in 24 hours only because I had an incident when the ticker stopped and when they tickled me with a few volts they said I jumped and popped the artery plug out of my groin so they had to renew that.

Ive had more drama getting a tooth out. :o

Sounds like a good idea mate, I had regularly done the stress tests and could run the treadmill to a standstill (we got them free in Oz through the heart foundation).

I was 68 last year and still able to work 8-10 hours on the farm every day, and the first attack came out of the blue, after the third one of the day which was a real ball tearer I drove the 75km to Udon where they did an electro cardiogram and stuck me in ICU at 2.30 am.

Next morning they were more interested in whether I had 800k for stents than in anything else ,to rub salt in the wound ,they had not even done the Angiogram at that stage so they were purely on a marketing exercise .

It is a relatively pain free and quick procedure, some people only spend 10 hours in post-op IC then out the door. I was out in 24 hours only because I had an incident when the ticker stopped and when they tickled me with a few volts they said I jumped and popped the artery plug out of my groin so they had to renew that.

Ive had more drama getting a tooth out. :D

In my next life I want to come back as an Aussie :o Cheers and thanks. But if anyone else out there has any info on UK stent costs et al I will be grateful to hear from you.

Ok CM here you are....

Operation

Coronary angioplasty

Other names

Balloon catheter, PTCA, stenting

Description

Provider

Coronary angioplasty cost

Spire Healthcare Hospitals

£6,500 - £8,100

I'm both impressed and very grateful, Spire, previously known as BUPA, has to be a very serious option at a massive cost savings. Well done.

Ok CM here you are....

Operation

Coronary angioplasty

Other names

Description

Provider

£6,500 - £8,100

I'm both impressed and very grateful, Spire, previously known as BUPA, has to be a very serious option at a massive cost savings. Well done.

http:// britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416040

My experiences began at The Siriraj, and a few months later I was hit with a "disected aorta' which nearly killed me but eventually I had a stent fitted at the Prince Chulalongkorn; as I recollect the cost was about 350,000bht.

I would say my experiences at both were unpleasant but The Siriraj seemed pretty O.K.

Ok CM here you are....

Operation

Coronary angioplasty

Other names

Description

Provider

£6,500 - £8,100

Is it sure that this price includes the cost of the stents? Because it seems awfully low. Many hospitals list a package price for the surgery exclusive of the stents, which are "extra". best contact them to be sure.

Ok CM here you are....

Operation

Coronary angioplasty

Other names

Description

Provider

£6,500 - £8,100

Is it sure that this price includes the cost of the stents? Because it seems awfully low. Many hospitals list a package price for the surgery exclusive of the stents, which are "extra". best contact them to be sure.

I have looked at their web site and sent off an inquiry but am told I will not receive a response before Monday. The package prices seem to vary from hospital to hospital and the upper end price on the most expensive one is £11,500 - their web site makes no mention of additional costs although I will confirm this at a later date. For information I cut and paste below their current package price offerings for a range of treatments and in scanning through the list some of the prices seem very competitive with prices I have seen in Thailand at Bumrungrad and Bangkok/Phuket although some are clearly higher. Lasik costs seem comparable to Thailand, Epidural costs are much higher but open heart surgery seems cheaper. It will interesting to follow this through to compare apples and apples and quite ironic if a Brit has to become a health tourist and back to the UK for cost effective treatment. Stay tuned.

breast lump removal£2,000 £2,340

cardiac catheterisation £1,825 £3,275

carpal tunnel release £900 £2,000

cataract removal £1,625 £3,075

circumcision £1,000 £1,575

colonoscopy (bowel examination)£1,050 £1,575

colposcopy (cervix examination) £375 £1,050

coronary angioplasty £8,375 £11,500

coronary artery bypass graft £13,000 £16,175

cruciate ligament repair £3,500 £6,100

cystoscopy (bladder examination) £675 £1,500

epidural injection £725 £1,575

eyesight correction - Lasik or Lasek - per eye £1,050 eyesight correction -

Phakik implants - per eye£2,100 £2,600

gall bladder removal (cholecystectomy) £3,650 £6,050

ganglion removal £1,250 £1,675

gastric banding (weight loss surgery) £7,000 £8,750

gastric bypass (weight loss surgery) £8,500 £11,465

gastroscopy £675 £1,675

grommets insertion £1,250 £1,675

haemorrhoids removal £1,500 £2,925

hernia repair £1,575 £3,600

hip replacement £7,800 £9,775

hip resurfacing £7,800 £10,925

hysterectomy £4,700 £6,350

hysteroscopy £1,300 £1,775

knee arthroscopy £1,575 £3,000

knee replacement £8,850 £11,125

laminectomy £5,350 £9,875

laparoscopy £1,875 £2,375

mastectomy £3,275 £4,950

prostate surgery (TURP) £3,850 £4,850

sigmoidoscopy £675 £1,300

squint correction £1,875 £2,925

sterilisation (female) £1,450 £2,100

sterilisation reversal (female) £2,600 £5,400

tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) £2,700 £4,375

termination of pregnancy £1,050 £1,925

tonsillectomy £1,575 £2,250

vaginal repair £3,175 £4,950

varicose vein surgery (both legs) £2,300 £3,125

varicose vein surgery (one leg) £1,575 £2,200

varicose vein laser treatment - EVLT (both legs) £2,450 £5,375

varicose vein laser treatment - EVLT (one leg) £1,650 £3,250

vasectomy £425 £1,100

vasectomy reversal £1,500 £2,400

wisdom teeth extraction £1,350 £1,625

This is a bit of a long shot but I figured it was worth asking the question here:

The cost of Angioplasty in Thailand at the major Western style hospitals seems very high - Bumrungrad quoted me 600,000 Baht per stent for a total procedure cost of around 2.0 Baht mill. - Bangkok Phuket comes similarly close. I am going to need two stents shortly and I cannot claim the cost on medical insurance because it is already described as an existing condition. Is anyone aware of the cost of stents in the UK and/or, has anyone had this procedure performed recently at a more sensible cost?

I just had 2 stents at the beginning of the month, on German insurance. So no cost. Now have 6 in me.

Dont worry, it's a breeze.

Point I'd like to make though. Bare metal or drug-eluting stents?

I elected bare metal, cause I don't want to stay on nasty Plavix for more than a month.

It amazes me how common getting something done like stents is nowadays. Lately, I hear of more and more older people getting them. A friend just got one done in the UK. It's the new world I guess. I hope that I don't have to have any in the future but the way I have lived so far says I'm heading to trouble sometime. I may just have to accept going down with my ship though as I haven't the dinero to do lots of those things. You know, the poorest people out there eat the worst food. Who will pay for all the stents that are going to be needed for them? Just a thought.

Ok CM here you are....

Operation

Coronary angioplasty

Other names

Description

Provider

£6,500 - £8,100

I have looked at their web site and sent off an inquiry but am told I will not receive a response before Monday. The package prices seem to vary from hospital to hospital and the upper end price on the most expensive one is £11,500 - their web site makes no mention of additional costs although I will confirm this at a later date. For information I cut and paste below their current package price offerings for a range of treatments and in scanning through the list some of the prices seem very competitive with prices I have seen in Thailand at Bumrungrad and Bangkok/Phuket although some are clearly higher. Lasik costs seem comparable to Thailand, Epidural costs are much higher but open heart surgery seems cheaper. It will interesting to follow this through to compare apples and apples and quite ironic if a Brit has to become a health tourist and back to the UK for cost effective treatment. Stay tuned.

breast lump removal£2,000 £2,340

cardiac catheterisation £1,825 £3,275

carpal tunnel release £900 £2,000

cataract removal £1,625 £3,075

circumcision £1,000 £1,575

colonoscopy (bowel examination)£1,050 £1,575

colposcopy (cervix examination) £375 £1,050

coronary angioplasty £8,375 £11,500

coronary artery bypass graft £13,000 £16,175

cruciate ligament repair £3,500 £6,100

cystoscopy (bladder examination) £675 £1,500

epidural injection £725 £1,575

eyesight correction - Lasik or Lasek - per eye £1,050 eyesight correction -

Phakik implants - per eye£2,100 £2,600

gall bladder removal (cholecystectomy) £3,650 £6,050

ganglion removal £1,250 £1,675

gastric banding (weight loss surgery) £7,000 £8,750

gastric bypass (weight loss surgery) £8,500 £11,465

gastroscopy £675 £1,675

grommets insertion £1,250 £1,675

haemorrhoids removal £1,500 £2,925

hernia repair £1,575 £3,600

hip replacement £7,800 £9,775

hip resurfacing £7,800 £10,925

hysterectomy £4,700 £6,350

hysteroscopy £1,300 £1,775

knee arthroscopy £1,575 £3,000

knee replacement £8,850 £11,125

laminectomy £5,350 £9,875

laparoscopy £1,875 £2,375

mastectomy £3,275 £4,950

prostate surgery (TURP) £3,850 £4,850

sigmoidoscopy £675 £1,300

squint correction £1,875 £2,925

sterilisation (female) £1,450 £2,100

sterilisation reversal (female) £2,600 £5,400

tension-free vaginal tape (TVT) £2,700 £4,375

termination of pregnancy £1,050 £1,925

tonsillectomy £1,575 £2,250

vaginal repair £3,175 £4,950

varicose vein surgery (both legs) £2,300 £3,125

varicose vein surgery (one leg) £1,575 £2,200

varicose vein laser treatment - EVLT (both legs) £2,450 £5,375

varicose vein laser treatment - EVLT (one leg) £1,650 £3,250

vasectomy £425 £1,100

vasectomy reversal £1,500 £2,400

wisdom teeth extraction £1,350 £1,625

Hmmm....

I'll take the circumcision, and while I'm at it a squint correction and vaginal tape.....

ps: where are the grommets inserted??

pps: If it's any help my sister had 2 stents inserted 10 or 15 years ago on the National Health after angina. She just went straight back to normal and at 74 she still does the work of three. Good Luck.

• 10 years later...

I'm writing this reply from a hospital room in Chennai, India where I have just had five stents inserted. The expected cost is around $8,000 including a five day stay in a private room. One day for tests prior to surgery. 

After seeking treatment in Thailand I jumped a plane to India. Doctors, nurses, orderlies, and equipment all first rate. Infection control and hygiene first rate. Will be coming back in two months for a bypass in my lower leg.

Comparing the two different systems, the attitude of doctors and nurses, I wouldn't even consider a Thai hospital.

• Like 1

I'm writing this reply from a hospital room in Chennai, India where I have just had five stents inserted. The expected cost is around $8,000 including a five day stay in a private room. One day for tests prior to surgery. 
After seeking treatment in Thailand I jumped a plane to India. Doctors, nurses, orderlies, and equipment all first rate. Infection control and hygiene first rate. Will be coming back in two months for a bypass in my lower leg.
Comparing the two different systems, the attitude of doctors and nurses, I wouldn't even consider a Thai hospital.
Please specify name of the hospital and of your doctors for the benefit if others. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

15 hours ago, Yme said:

Thats OK   Was in Indian hospital last year for a week  prostate   about 700 US, all I can say is brilliant.  Going over again for the new lasik treatment ,one up from wavefront Optipasmi ,or whatever its called.  Yes good place to be.......list of charges I looked at whilst in the hospital there, open heart surgery  start price 50000 rupees  think between 500 to 600 GBP,not being an Indian you will never get it at that price  maybe double it

Edited by ted4647