Warning against disrupting Olympic torch relay in Bangkok

george

DISRUPTION OF TORCH RELAY

You'll be playing with fire

Any foreigner who takes part in protests during the run will be kicked out for good, police warn

blacklist-thailand.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Protesters disrupting tomorrow's Olympic-torch relay will be arrested immediately and prosecuted for public disturbance, police say.

Foreigners will be expelled and banned from returning. Those with residency will have it revoked permanently, spokesman Lt-General Watcharaphol Prasarnratchakij says.

"If they come here and engage in unlawful acts, they must be prosecuted ... if they engage in illegal activity, we will proceed according to the law by revoking their visa," he says.

"We have prepared everything to ensure the smoothness of the ceremony."

A Government House source says there are groups in this country motivated to disrupt the relay, including human-rights groups and the local Falun Gong.

Additional police have been deployed to the Plaza Athenee Hotel, where the torch and Olympic flame are housed ahead of tomorrow's 3pm run.

There will be as many as 2,000 policemen on duty along the route, according to the Olympic Committee of Thailand.

Four police vehicles and six officers will accompany the relay at all times. A bomb squad and a canine crew are on standby as is a special weapons and tactics outfit.

The heavy security highlights concerns here and the government's desire to avoid similar chaos to that which occurred overseas.

Free Tibet Network member Pokpong Lawansiri disagrees with the stance against pro-Tibet protests.

"Under the Constitution, an individual - local or foreigner - has the right to rally for a cause," he says. "Peaceful rally should be allowed".

He expects about 100 members to protests.

Prime ministerial aide Akhaphol Sorrasuchart says protests can continue as long as there's no run disruption and they do not break other laws, including traffic, or damage property.

A number of locations have been prepared for protests, although he will not say where.

The relay route through normally crowded Bangkok has been cordoned off with barricades to deter protests.

Rallying point

Networks and organisations planning pro-Tibet activities tomorrow include:

- Free Tibet Network, Thai Labour Campaign Group, Chulalongkorn University social critics, Activists for Social Change, Young People for Democracy Movement and Workers Democracy.

- Others include Reporters Without Borders and China pro-democracy and pro-Taiwan groups.

-- The Nation/xtra 2008-04-17

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very tough talking there , I'm not sure if the law allows what he stated .

But I'm sure the law doesn't count when a general wants it .

Me thinks that they want to please the Chinese BIG , they should allow peaceful

protesting no matter what , if there is nothing to protest about there would be none ,

but the Tibet issue is non negotiable because of the Financial grip the Chinese have

all around the world , especially Asia .

Seems justice will never prevail on this one ....sad really !

Are there many Tibetan supporters in Thailand? I doubt local Thais are especially hot and bothered, do you suppose that it's mainly foreigners that they'll be observing for trouble? Does anyone know if the "official" relay route has been released? I wouldn't mind getting a few photos, but other than the Plaza Athenee I have no idea where you would go to do it. I wonder if it'll be safe, hopefully nobody'll mind a small white girl with a cheap digital camera and decide she's shifty, don't need to be deported thanks!

According to the body of the text, the headline is incorrect.

"Any foreigner who takes part in protests during the run will be kicked out for good, police warn"

In the body, it says that foreigners disrupting the torch relay will be kicked out. Not the same thing.

Feel free to protest (if you feel that strongly) but be careful not to disrupt the torch relay.

Are there many Tibetan supporters in Thailand? I doubt local Thais are especially hot and bothered, do you suppose that it's mainly foreigners that they'll be observing for trouble? Does anyone know if the "official" relay route has been released? I wouldn't mind getting a few photos, but other than the Plaza Athenee I have no idea where you would go to do it. I wonder if it'll be safe, hopefully nobody'll mind a small white girl with a cheap digital camera and decide she's shifty, don't need to be deported thanks!

Then stay away,don't take a chance, remember curiousity killed the cat. :o

Do the people that say 'keep sports and politics separate' realize that

this is all organized by governments? That the only thing any

gov has is their political agenda?

These aren't groups of individuals getting together and competing.

This is all gov sponsored stuff.

It's like going to a Christian church and being bothered by

them talking about God. You stand up and listen to YOUR

anthem when YOUR country wins.

The Olympics ARE politics.

duh.

British Olympic chiefs are to force athletes to sign a contract promising not to speak out about China's appalling human rights record – or face being banned from travelling to Beijing.

The move – which raises the spectre of the order given to the England football team to give a Nazi salute in Berlin in 1938 – immediately provoked a storm of protest.

The controversial clause has been inserted into athletes' contracts for the first time and forbids them from making any political comment about countries staging the Olympic Games.

It is contained in a 32-page document that will be presented to all those who reach the qualifying standard and are chosen for the team.

From the moment they sign up, the competitors – likely to include the Queen's granddaughter Zara Phillips and world record holder Paula Radcliffe – will be effectively gagged from commenting on China's politics, human rights abuses or illegal occupation of Tibet.

Prince Charles has already let it be known that he will not be going to China, even if he is invited by Games organisers.

His views on the Communist dictatorship are well known, after this newspaper revealed how he described China's leaders as “appalling old waxworks” in a journal written after he attended the handover of Hong Kong. The Prince is also a long-time supporter of the Dalai Lama, the Tibetan leader.

Yesterday the British Olympic Association (BOA) confirmed that any athlete who refuses to sign the agreements will not be allowed to travel to Beijing. :o

Keep sport and politics apart...................having a LARFF...yea....

Before I get tarred, feathered, and lynched by the resident mock-liberal schutzstaffel for suggesting that ethnic groups tend to favour their own group, especially when an immigrant group... let me just say that my point is a realist one.

Who, as a foreigner would ever protest in a country like Thailand? Apart from it being "asking for trouble", it is also patronising to the Thais... if anything, we ought to be encouraging Thais to invoke their already extant tradition of public protest.

The problem is, that most Thais are skint, and don't know where Tibet is, or even what it is; so it's the responsiblity of foreigners to spread the word.

It's a typical method of people who have no argument to use the logical fallacy of attacking the person.. which is why that tit's "seig heil" is particularly offensive... full of far left smuggery and conceit.

It's well established that ethnic groups self identify and look after their own... Chinese "guanxi" is pretty anciently ingrained... it's even more prevalent in parts of Akanay (SE Asia) where large Chinese immigrant groups have come in and locked up almost all the profitable stuff in the various countries.

Even the most unchinese-looking Thais sign up to this oriental masonic lodge... rather like the way Gujerati muslims might tell you that they're really arabs... and they show maximum deference to the "old country"... "heqi" as it used to be known.

This is the muscle the Chinogov is trying to flex... and the only way to resist it is to awaken Thai ethnic patriotism... you are either masters or subjects in your own country, there's no inbetween.

This is the struggle that the Tibetans are fighting... just like the BNP in the UK... call 'em what you will... it's all in our neurobiological wiring, and wearing flowers in your hair ain't gunna make it go away.

China has to be stood up to, but it has to be Thais doing it... and that means it has to be Thais doing the protesting, with foreigners helping pay for it... because Chinese have the Thais under the thumb with appalling low wages and crappy conditions... only western money can change that.

//Edit: deleted quote from deleted post. Maestro

Edited by Maestro

There's a little bit of excitement around 2am .. Manager sent news sms to their subscribers (including me) at 02.01am to let people know that the "torch" arrived in Thailand already! I would be really p*ssed off if I was asleep. Anyways, a bit more in the news sms was that authority would put tight security and would make sure there's no disruption of the relay.

This one is from me: Thailand has long developed "good" relationship with China and it wants to keep it that way. And I won't make any further comments on that since I still wanna keep my head on my shoulders :o

There's a little bit of excitement around 2am .. Manager sent news sms to their subscribers (including me) at 02.01am to let people know that the "torch" arrived in Thailand already! I would be really p*ssed off if I was asleep. Anyways, a bit more in the news sms was that authority would put tight security and would make sure there's no disruption of the relay.

This one is from me: Thailand has long developed "good" relationship with China and it wants to keep it that way. And I won't make any further comments on that since I still wanna keep my head on my shoulders :o

Surely a cleverer way of protesting would be to make a Fake Olympic Torch and take it round the world, where you could organise protests without the Chinogov forces interfering!

If you can't protest the real torch in Bangkok - MAKE A FAKE ONE! and protest that uninterrupted! Get some celebs involved to get the cameras in, and Bob's your uncle!

Very tough talking there , I'm not sure if the law allows what he stated .

But I'm sure the law doesn't count when a general wants it .

Me thinks that they want to please the Chinese BIG , they should allow peaceful

protesting no matter what , if there is nothing to protest about there would be none ,

but the Tibet issue is non negotiable because of the Financial grip the Chinese have

all around the world , especially Asia .

Seems justice will never prevail on this one ....sad really !

You are correct! But this is not the real issue here...it is the "right to Protest" which must be defended. The content of the Protest is not as important as the right to do so.

Edited by Cipher

I was thinking of going along to see the Torch run ,

but i don't think i will chance it, it will only need one nutter to kick off and knowing the police they will just round up everyone .

It is said if you use K I S S, Keep it simple, stupid, and watch it on TV, the odds of having a problem are very small, May health and happiness be with us all

From the Bangkok Post:

The torch will be kept at a downtown hotel on Friday, but guarded entirely by Chinese, who apparently do not trust Thai police enough to let them too close to the torch.

Foreign Minister Noppadon Pattama denied foreigners protesting at the Olympic torch relay on Saturday will be deported, but said they could fact legal problems.

Police have warned all would-be protesters against any attempt to disrupt the Beijing Olympics torch relay on Saturday afternoon.

"Action will be taken" against anyone who tries to spoil the 10.5-km run through the inner city, police spokesman Watcharapol Prasanratchakij said on Thursday.

Passing the Torch

The original post was from The Nation/xtra 2008-04-17. This paper frequently reports any rumors and passes them off as fact. It is the closest thing Thailand has to The Weekly World News

Edited by mobs00

I just don't get half the farangs in Thailand. If you don't like the rules here, then go home! In the US, foreigners are deported for things like demonstrating. Years ago when I was involved in AIDS organizations, one of my friends didn't demonstrate because he was British and they were kicking out people who weren't Americans and who demonstrated at the World AIDS Conference. Absolutely no different than Thailand.

The Olympics is about sports, not politics. And if you think that demonstrating is going to change the Chinese, you don't understand Asians. The more you push an Asian, the less chance there is of them ever changing their minds. I don't agree with what the Chinese are doing in Tibet, but demonstrating isn't going to change that.

//Edit: deleted quote from deleted posts and reply thereto.

Edited by Maestro

I just don't get half the farangs in Thailand. If you don't like the rules here, then go home!

Once more ! This is a "closing argument", the thread then should be closed, together with all the forums ...

Then this website should be replaced by a picture of the dog puppet nodding, nodding, nodding ...

The Olympics is about sports, not politics.

I was sure of that but changed my mind when I read about Berlin 1936 and as I see the Beijing 2008 unrolling ...

And if you think that demonstrating is going to change the Chinese, you don't understand Asians.

"Demonstrations" are NOT (all) made to change things, but at least to tell people they are not alone in disapproving. I mean non-violent demonstrations, of course (banners, sit-ins etc ...).

It is an integral part of the "freedom of expression" and I personally think it is a good thing !

This whole thread has drifted into a Chinese and American bashing opportunity. Why cannot people keep their focus to the topic at hand?

I think it has to do with FOREIGNERS PROTESTING IN BANGKOK......

If you would like to start another topic elsewhere with BASH CHINA HERE or BASH the USA HERE.... go for it.

Sorry - let's keep it on topic - what about if my two daughters with Thai citizenship but looking a bit farangish were to protest and I was there to look after them - they couldn't deport us could they?What about a Thai/Chinese protester? What about a Chinese protester? Does a protester have to be 100% alien to get deported? :o

//Edit: deleted off-topic comment - Maestro

Edited by Maestro

I was thinking about going to the protest, I don't think I'll be going now.

Anyway.... I think the games should go on and I think all the athletes that have a problem... should speak out every chance they get, especially after then win their medals and and do their victory laps, etc.

//Edit: off-topic comments deleted. - Maestro

Edited by Maestro

I wonder what the Chinese Olympics will be remembered for ?Why would you invite a world spectacle like the olympics into your country then try to censor the world about it .That crap only works in China .Maybe let the Tibetan refugees in India have the choice of returning to their country with their leader and showcase the culture instead of repressing it .Then maybe the world would have some respect for Chinas attempt to join the world stage and not just be known as the country that sells cheap ass crap with the biggest carbon footprint in the world

People wont be arrested for protesting .Only if they disrupt the torch relay .Get your facts right .

I wouldn't trust the good 'ol BiB to be able to differentiate the difference! :o

oh and btw - good to see the wisdom of VegasVic back around!