Biodiesel B5 And Toyota D4d Engines

taxexile

i have always thought that biodiesel can be used in any diesel engine , but up until now i have always filled up with regular diesel.

now i want to start using biodiesel in my vigo 3 litre d4d engine. i stopped in at the toyota dealership and asked if it can be used or are there some engine / engine management system modifications needed first and was told that the warranty will be invalid if any engine damage occurs with biodiesel in the tank.

have i been misinformed by toyota ?

Got me thinking if the information I was given by the Toyota dealer was correct. Took delivery of a new Vigo D4D last month and was told B5 was fine to use. I didn't actually ask, the sales person volunteered the info. Perhaps not suitable for older D4D engines??

I've not heard any negative effects of using B5 or even B100 (pure bio-diesel) in fact many reports say it's actually better for the engine. I asked Ford about putting bio in our 2007 Ranger, no problem, no warranty issues.

Probably not relevant to modern engines, but some of Rudolf Diesels' early engines ran on peanut oil (you don't get more bio than that) :o.

Unlike gasohol bio does not attack the rubber components of the fuel system.

Edited by Crossy

My father-in-law's Toyota Hilux Tiger D4D takes B5 with no trouble and that truck is a 2001 model. The B5 is a couple Baht/liter cheaper and performance/fuel consumption are basically the same. Perhaps Toyota might tell somebody not to use it as that's one less thing their warranty has to cover.

My older brother-in-law has put a 50/50 mixture of diesel/palm oil in his 2003 Ford Ranger (4WD) and it ran fine. On top of that, with the palm oil in the tank it smells like somebody's cooking.

I used it only once and there's was absolutely no difference in any way.

It's not gasohol, there's no extra ethanol or anything, I'm not even sure Toyota service center would even know if you have it in your truck.

The main thing with using bio-diesel is that it will clean your engine.

i.e. If you've been using regular diesel for years, you could find you're suddenly going through fuel filters as the gunk in the engine is removed.

The effect might not be quite so pronounced with B5, but it should be watched out for.

As for the Toyota rep. It would greatly depend on his English. Maybe he thought you were talking about putting in gasohol (which would probably be a bad idea.)

Just did a google and Toyota in Oz says B5 is fine, but they won't cover under warranty any engine damage done with anything above B5. Toyota Oz

Edited by bkk_mike

you could find you're suddenly going through fuel filters as the gunk in the engine is removed.

not sure i follow you , i thought the filter cleans the fuel before it goes into the engine , i.e. in the fuel line from the tank to the injectors ???

you could find you're suddenly going through fuel filters as the gunk in the engine is removed.

not sure i follow you , i thought the filter cleans the fuel before it goes into the engine , i.e. in the fuel line from the tank to the injectors ???

Sorry - should rephrase that as gunk in the tank and fuel lines

• 2 years later...

G-Day Yep I'm an Aussie,Recently purchased a 2002 4wd Ford Ranger 2.5 turbo deisel, 140-000 ks on the clock, Upon starting in the morning it spews a cloud of smoke , and runs rough for a short time, also If I accelerate heavilly smoke is evident,which suggests to Me the injectors need a clean, Where in Chaing Mai can I find a reptuable deisel Mechanic?? Also I'm looking for a good Quality Ute cover!

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

The confusion caused by all kind of different fuel is wide spread in Thailand. I bought a new PCW (Honda Motorbike). According to the manual it can take any kind of gas (reg 91, E20, gasohol 91 and 94...). Asking the lcal technician at the Honda shop he said "No way, only take 91 regular, better!".

My Nissan is said being able to use B5 Diesel. I will give it a try. Although the 1.20 Baht/l price advantage isn't that great.

all diesel is 3% biofuel and its going up to 5% soon as standard so you are running on b3 at the moment and in the next couple of months it will be b5 as regular diesel

are you stating Shell V-Power EuroIV diesel is blended with 3% bio? any documentation or link on this info?

are you saying Ptt euro III diesel is blended with 3% bio, while B5 is blended with 5% bio? any documentation on or link on this info?

are you saying Ptt euro III diesel is blended with 3% bio, while B5 is blended with 5% bio? any documentation on or link on this info?

Correct.

Currently:

"Diesel" from PTT is now B3 & "Biodiesel B5+" from PTT is B5.

Quoted from my bulk invoices.

Diesel - "HSD EURO III 0.035%S with Add. (Bulk) (B3)"

Bio - "HSD-B5 with Add. (Bulk)"

Correct.

Currently:

"Diesel" from PTT is now B3 & "Biodiesel B5+" from PTT is B5.

Quoted from my bulk invoices.

Diesel - "HSD EURO III 0.035%S with Add. (Bulk) (B3)"

Bio - "HSD-B5 with Add. (Bulk)"

Old Marine diesels cant tolerate bio at all. So far most have been using Ptt diesel, even if its a bit to low on Sulphur for engine spec. How can they feed their old Hino, Cummins and Cats now?

Old Marine diesels cant tolerate bio at all. So far most have been using Ptt diesel, even if its a bit to low on Sulphur for engine spec. How can they feed their old Hino, Cummins and Cats now?

The mechanic from CAT has also said that we should avoid, if possible, the use Bio in our "newer" earth moving machinery. When I pressed him as to why, he said that all that will happen is the useful operating life of the glo-plugs will be reduced.

So - we'll probably have to replace the glo-plugs a little earlier than scheduled. :o

The mechanic from CAT has also said that we should avoid, if possible, the use Bio in our "newer" earth moving machinery. When I pressed him as to why, he said that all that will happen is the useful operating life of the glo-plugs will be reduced.

So - we'll probably have to replace the glo-plugs a little earlier than scheduled. :o

I m afraid the damages to 5-30 years old marine diesels is a bit more if bio and low on sulphur. Euro III is already in borderline, lubricates to little.