Fyi - Roadblocks / Drug Searches

Just a FYI, in case anyone is foolish enough to be driving around with anything they shouldn't have on them in Samui, especially as it's close to the Full Moon - I was stopped at an 12-15 strong person police and army (dressed in camoflauge fatigues) roadblock this evening between Choeng Mon and Bang Rak, I was fully helmeted and well within the speed limit. They were very friendly and polite, and also diligent - they went through all pockets, bags, wallet, inside my motorbike etc etc - they were stopping everybody, cars and bikes and trucks - no one was being waved through. My girlfriend spoke to them and they were looking for drugs. I hope this informational post isn't against forum rules, but thought a reminder of the law and the dangers of being on the wrong side of it was timely, as I haven't seen this before in the year I have lived here.

Edited by danw

In general they tend to stop bikes mainly and even more precisely for young Thais. Not saying Westerners aren't stopped at all.

I went by last night and was not stopped, as were many others the moment I was there, mainly cars that weren't stopped.

there have been more police checkpoints on KPG than usual too according to friends who have been stopped. is this because of the "drug war"?

what an "amazing thailand" double moral, indeed, or anyway everything an illussion as Lord Buddha said :o:D

but seriously, what ever meanig you have regarding "drug war", it is a kind of disgusting to me what's going on globaly in this case, directed by us dea

ham

there have been more police checkpoints on KPG than usual too according to friends who have been stopped. is this because of the "drug war"?

what an "amazing thailand" double moral, indeed, or anyway everything an illussion as Lord Buddha said :o:D

but seriously, what ever meanig you have regarding "drug war", it is a kind of disgusting to me what's going on globaly in this case, directed by us dea

ham

Help me understand why and how the US DEA would be directing a drug war in Thailand?

Help me understand why and how the US DEA would be directing a drug war in Thailand?

no way ;-) that'is to complex, if you not understand that already. I mean realy understand, not just following the main stream, which for me is absolutly brain washing. I don't want to start a discussion about any "drugs" no interest. I don't believe in war in any case. But I can help you this way, read : :D

Martin Booth; "Cannabis" a history, 500 pages of pure and profound information, I found this book ones at the airport in bkk and started to read. "Amazing too" :o

comment of the "Independent" on the book's back page: "Booth tells this story with admirable restraint...this book should be on of the shelf of anyone interested in human freedom and bad laws".

no way ;-) that'is to complex, if you not understand that already. I mean realy understand, not just following the main stream, which for me is absolutly brain washing. I don't want to start a discussion about any "drugs" no interest. I don't believe in war in any case. But I can help you this way, read : :D

Martin Booth; "Cannabis" a history, 500 pages of pure and profound information, I found this book ones at the airport in bkk and started to read. "Amazing too" :o

comment of the "Independent" on the book's back page: "Booth tells this story with admirable restraint...this book should be on of the shelf of anyone interested in human freedom and bad laws".

Wow man, far out!

Edited by chiang mai

.... according to friends who have been stopped. is this because of the "drug war"?

Yep, it's on full spin!

Hope this time not so many people have to bite the bullet... :o

As long as it's just the druggies who bite the bullet this time, who gives a s^^t, it's what they deserve.

As long as it's just the druggies who bite the bullet this time, who gives a s^^t, it's what they deserve.

Exactly, let's lynch all druggies, then maybe all blacks, then maybe all homos, then maybe all jews, then ...

Guess it is a crime suppression act!

Cause drugs are usually related to crime, money laundering, racketeering, name it.

So it's not about "doing drugs" or alcohol control, but crime suppression and they are illegal, so what?!

Exactly, let's lynch all druggies, then maybe all blacks, then maybe all homos, then maybe all jews, then ...

that is the most stupid thing i have ever seen written. drugs are illegal. since when was being black or a jew illegal. **flame removed** hippy comment.

probably going to get a 2 week suspension because of u. but i can;t quite my mouth to stupid comments.

Are the guys in the Military Gear not Voulenteers or from the Army just for Songkran to assist? as i noted they did not carry any firearms?

maybe they were only aloud water guns

Volunteers

that is the most stupid thing i have ever seen written. drugs are illegal. since when was being black or a jew illegal. **flame removed** hippy comment.

probably going to get a 2 week suspension because of u. but i can;t quite my mouth to stupid comments.

No need to be abusive, BigC, everyone is entitled to their opinions without the need for being called stupid.

Regardless, what one thinks about drugs or drug use is not necessarily the issue here. But rather, the idea, to me anyway, that volunteers without any weapons are going to have much effect in apprehending anyone who may be dangerous. Seems to me they would have more wisely used their resources to stop drunk driving or crazy driving (ie kids racing) than searching for guns and drugs when everyone will know the road block is there.

I have very mixed emotions about random pull-overs.

There is the notion of probable cause here. If there is absolutely no probable cause, then what would stop the police from making random searches of private homes? "Well, it's a holiday, so we think people might be partying, so we are just forcing people to let us to into their homes (cars) and look for whatever we think we might find."

If you are behind the stopping of cars and motorbikes driven by those who have done nothing suspicious, then having cops or volunteers go through your home shouldn't phase you.

For me, it's problematic.

I don't want drunks or hopped up drivers on the roads, but I also want my civil liberties respected.

It's a very controversial issue.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

I hope they round up all drug dealers including the bigwigs and throw away the key, they cause nothing but suffering abd misery.

after how many beer or what so ever, you writing this intelligent post?

I have very mixed emotions about random pull-overs.

There is the notion of probable cause here. If there is absolutely no probable cause, then what would stop the police from making random searches of private homes? "Well, it's a holiday, so we think people might be partying, so we are just forcing people to let us to into their homes (cars) and look for whatever we think we might find."

If you are behind the stopping of cars and motorbikes driven by those who have done nothing suspicious, then having cops or volunteers go through your home shouldn't phase you.

For me, it's problematic.

I don't want drunks or hopped up drivers on the roads, but I also want my civil liberties respected.

It's a very controversial issue.

The term civil liberties smacks of a US view of life, I hope you don't think you have the same rights as an individual here as back home. Civil liberties in Thailand amount to whatever the system is prepared to give you at any point in time and this is variable, a number of other variables including the disposition of the person who apprehends/stops you and your attitude towards him.

I hope they round up all drug dealers including the bigwigs and throw away the key, they cause nothing but suffering abd misery.

after how many beer or what so ever, you writing this intelligent post?

Why is it such an unintelligent post Ham?It's his point of view.You might be then one of these people involved, that sounds intelligent now?

Give the guy a break, he only pointed out his point of view on drug dealers.

I think all drugs are stupid and should be dealt with in a firm way, the dealers who make thier money out of this evil trade don't care if you die or don't care if you cause mayhem afte taking them. The real issue here is whether you have something to hide or not, if you have and get caught with drugs in Thailand you are well aware of what will happen and you deserve no sympathy fromanyone.If you get caught dealing in drugs the I think you should be hung for all to see, Life is very simple and you make choices that say which way your life is going and by taking or dealing in drugs you have entered the jungle of a spiral of despair not just for you but those around you and that is why drugs are an evil stain on any country and I am for Thailands policy on drug dealers and I only wish the UK was the same.

The way some of you talk is unreal, You make out that Samui is some drug crazed place where only the stupid would go and stay. This is not what I have experianced on my visits and I would swap my life here in the UK where kids run the streets and the goverment has lost control of the streets for your life on Samui anyday.

I think all drugs are stupid and should be dealt with in a firm way, the dealers who make thier money out of this evil trade don't care if you die or don't care if you cause mayhem afte taking them. The real issue here is whether you have something to hide or not, if you have and get caught with drugs in Thailand you are well aware of what will happen and you deserve no sympathy fromanyone.If you get caught dealing in drugs the I think you should be hung for all to see, Life is very simple and you make choices that say which way your life is going and by taking or dealing in drugs you have entered the jungle of a spiral of despair not just for you but those around you and that is why drugs are an evil stain on any country and I am for Thailands policy on drug dealers and I only wish the UK was the same.

The way some of you talk is unreal, You make out that Samui is some drug crazed place where only the stupid would go and stay. This is not what I have experianced on my visits and I would swap my life here in the UK where kids run the streets and the goverment has lost control of the streets for your life on Samui anyday.

Shakeydave, I'm not sure if you are aware of Thailand's recent drug policy history. With Thailand's first 'war on drugs' under the Thaksin government 2500 people were killed in 3 months. During this time police were given instructions to use any means to eliminate drug dealers, with reduction targets set for each of the 76 provinces. The people who were targeted were those who's names appeared on blacklists. I would not like to see this happen in the UK, it's like going back to the dark ages, guilty until proven innocent.

I am all for clamping down on drugs, but I don't agree with Thaksin's 'War on drugs'.

I have been stopped ffour times in the last week on the road between Tong Nai Pan. Been hearing many stories about massive "fines" being paid. I do find it amusing how here in KP most often it is the farangs who are searched. If I am on the bike with a Thai person I never get stopped. Makes you wonder what the real goal is - there are certainly just as many Thais carrying drugs as farangs, but who has more money??

Shakeydave, I'm not sure if you are aware of Thailand's recent drug policy history. With Thailand's first 'war on drugs' under the Thaksin government 2500 people were killed in 3 months. During this time police were given instructions to use any means to eliminate drug dealers, with reduction targets set for each of the 76 provinces. The people who were targeted were those who's names appeared on blacklists. I would not like to see this happen in the UK, it's like going back to the dark ages, guilty until proven innocent.

I am all for clamping down on drugs, but I don't agree with Thaksin's 'War on drugs'.

5Tash,

Whilst I understand what you are saying about the drugs policy that Thaskin brought to Thailand you have to agree with the basis of my argument that ALL drugs are evil and those that peddle in this evil trade deserve no sympathy from anyone. I agree with the premise if found guilty first then punish them by causing the maximum pain as the dealers do to those who take the drugs and those around the drug takers. Thailand is different to the UK and all I can say is is you have lived outside of the UK for the past 5 years you will be shocked at the level of crime that is almost taken as granted out on the streets and also you would be shocked at how the youth rule the streets with gun and knife culture that has come from the US.The UK goverment has lost control and so have many parents of thier children and it is getting worse by the day,gone is the shock when a kid gets stabbed or shot by another kid purley because it happens so often these days.

We in the UK can be stopped anytime by the police and be searched or tested for drugs whilst in charge of a car or motorbike and also we are the most monitered nation on the planet with so many cctv cameras around it almost seems crazy but ask yourself this have you got something to hide and if not whats the problem.This could turrn into a big debate about civil liberties but the facts are that in this day and age we don't have many of them anyway and even our US comerades are monitored more and more and see thier liberty's going down the pan.

Shakedave

No need to be abusive, BigC, everyone is entitled to their opinions without the need for being called stupid.

Regardless, what one thinks about drugs or drug use is not necessarily the issue here. But rather, the idea, to me anyway, that volunteers without any weapons are going to have much effect in apprehending anyone who may be dangerous. Seems to me they would have more wisely used their resources to stop drunk driving or crazy driving (ie kids racing) than searching for guns and drugs when everyone will know the road block is there.

i dunno the thing i like about samui is that u have more freedome here. work out the island then do what u have to do to stay out of trouble. most people here are adults. most of us know that if u drink and drive it could end up in an accident and they will have to pay the price. drugs by all means do them if u want but people can;t blame the police for pulling people over to search for it. Guns also. not as if the police are consantly harris us unless we are crazy enough to be loud about what they do.

live a normal life then trouble will be less that is my 2 pence worth