เดี่ยว Or เดียว ?

5tash

เดี่ยว and เดียว Very similar spellings and very similar meanings.

From the Domnern & Sathienpong Thai - English Dictionary :

เดียว single, one, only.

เดี่ยว single, solitary, lone, alone, solo.

Can these words be used with nouns, adjectives etc interchangably or is one word asigned to a certain noun, adjective.

For example ; คนเดียว could you change the adjective to เดี่ยว and have คนเดี่ยว ?

Thanks for any insight.

5tash,

Great question. Here are the definitions of the two words from the Royal Institute Dictionary

เดี่ยว ว. แต่ลําพังตัวโดยไม่มีใครหรืออะไรร่วมด้วย เช่น มาเดี่ยว ทําเดี่ยว

ไล่เดี่ยวเทียมเดี่ยว, เรียกการเล่นกีฬาบางชนิดซึ่งมีผู้เล่นข้างละคน

เช่น เทนนิสประเภทเดี่ยว แบดมินตันประเภทเดี่ยว. ก. แสดงฝีมือ

การเล่นดนตรีคนเดียว เช่น เดี่ยวปี่ เดี่ยวซอ เดี่ยวระนาด. น. ส่วนสูง

ของเรือนตั้งแต่พื้นถึงเพดาน, โดยปริยายหมายถึงบางสิ่งที่มีลักษณะ

สูงเช่นนั้น.

Adverb. Alone, by one’s self with no one or nothing participating, for example, to come alone; to do something alone; hunting alone; a single yoke; singles in some athletic competitions where there is only one competitor on a side, for example, singles tennis, singles badminton. Verb. To perform musical instruments solo, for example, solo oboe, solo viol, solo xylophone. Noun. The highest portion of a house measured from the ground to the ceiling, by implication this term refers to other things which have the characteristic of being high.

เดียว ว. หนึ่งเท่านั้นไม่มีอื่นอีก เช่น คนเดียว พันเดียว นิดเดียว.

Adverb. One of a kind; there is nothing else (like it), for example, a person doing something alone; [a single wrap around ??], only a little bit.

Translations are mine; please provide corrections and clarifications. Ultimately, I believe, meaning comes down to common usage with other common words.

This isn't a definitive answer by any means, but here are my thoughts:

เดียว (mid tone) functions like the word หนึ่ง, grammatically--that is, it acts like other number words, except its order is reversed, just like หนึ่ง frequently is. The difference is it means not one, but "one and only one"--emphasizing the "only one" part.

Compare these:

ไปเที่ยวสองคน The two of them went out together.

ไปเที่ยวคนเดียว (He/she) went out by (him/her)self.

Or these:

ซื้อข้าวผัดสองกล่อง (I) bought two orders fried rice.

ซื้อข้าวผัดกล่องหนึ่ง (I) bought an order of fried rice.

ซื้อข้าวผัดกล่องเดียว (I) only bought one order of fried rice.

Technically, numbers might be considered adjectives, but they often have their own specialized grammar. Like in Thai with classifiers.

Now contrast that with เดี่ยว (low tone). One of its senses) is what appears to be a true adjective/adverb form of the word เดียว, with grammar is just like any other adjective-like word, used to modify nouns.

Compare these:

บ้าน(หลัง)เดียว a/one house

บ้านเดี่ยว a freestanding, single-family house (i.e. not a duplex or a townhouse).

See also:

บินเดี่ยว solo flight (i.e. when you're learning to fly and your teacher doesn't come along)

เดี่ยว has a sense corresponding roughly to "solo" in English:

เดี่ยวปี่ flute solo (or replace ปี่ with any other instruments)

เดี่ยวไมโครโฟน literally "microphone solo", referring to a one-person stage show or stand-up act

I think these two words must have come from the same word (similar to other confusing pairs like น้อย/หน่อย, กัน/กั้น), so what we can do is define *where* and *how* they're used, and mimic native use. A dictionary entry giving short definitions for the two are going to look hopelessly similar.

Edited by Rikker