Nero Express

jonboy

I've downloaded a few movies recently(using torrents , if you've been following the threads)and have a couple of films my mates wanna borrow.I thought this would be straight forward using Nero express.I chose the vcd option and tried to burn it onto a 700MB/80min CDR/RW cd.The said file is 638 MB in size.My disk is meant to be 700 MB but Nero reports it at only being 659MB.Now it shouldn't really matter if it's 700 or 659 as the file is only 638.I click on burn and the movie is encoded which takes well over an hour.When encoding is finished it tells me the inserted media is not large enough and to insert a larger media.I have tried all my cds and the same message is reported.

Even if the disk isn't large enough to store the movie.....why isn't it asking me to insert a second cd for the excess size??

:o

plz help

What format are the video files? Are they Xvid or Divx?

I would not use Nero's wizards nor bother encoding them as Video Cds

Simply start Nero and try copy the video file directly to the CD. Make it non multi-session data disc.

One thing I've just noticed is that (file is 638MB)in Nero it reports that the total length is 86min.I thought that 700MB=80 min....so how can 638=86min?

Anyway I can't understand why it doesn't just put most of it on the 1st cd then the rest onto a second??

hi'

if you have an .AVI file that is over 600mb and try to reencode it to vcd to watch it on dvd player that doesn't support divx, you have to split it in two parts.

you can use avi-mpeg splitter from boilsoft, it works fine.

or use a decoder-reencoder software that can split the video file when it gets over 650 or 700mb to fit with a cd size.

there are a lot of these reencoder stuff, some more efficient than others.

the best size for a vcd is 352X240 (not full screen but larger than any 16/9 or 4/3)

frame rate can be left same. 23.9 or 25 is not much different on a tv screen.

my favorite are mpeg4 Direct maker in version 4.5 now or #1 Video Convertor for Windows. they both have different specifications, but they wil do the job properly.

with mpeg4 DM youcan try some different possiblities for a minute or two, take a look, and decide which one's better.

#1 converter has to recode the entire file before you can see how it looks.

be aware that you may need some codecs to reencode some files.

like DivX, Xvid, ffdshow, and for some the matrix audio processor.

you can find some pack of codecs, the best seems to be the Cole pack ...

you can take a look at : Cole Pack codecs

if it's only for watching on computer, don't bother and just burn the .avi file as a data file using nero express or else.

if you want to watch it on dvd player that support DivX close the disc (no futher writing).

hope it helps a bit

cheers

francois

That Avi-Mpeg splitter was what i was after (bob on).I thought that nero would have provided something similar.I can't be the first to want to burn more than A 600-700+ MB file onto 2 disks??

Anyway now I know.......

Thanks mate

I think the confusion is in the fact that what you're trying to do is to write a movie onto a disc in a different format. The original format is xvid which has a better compression than the final mpeg format (which is required for a vcd). Normally, one cd, mpeg encoded, will not be enough for a whole movie. So, while the movie in xvid format will fit into a CD, the final encoded mpeg movie will not. You will have to use 2 CDs if you want to burn something that's playable on DVD/VCD players.

Right. So in other words, you start out wrong by selecting that you want to create a VCD. You don't. Because XVid/DivX are not supported by VCD so you're not making one. VCD is MPEG specifically, and the reason it takes so long is that Nero is attempting to CONVERT the thing for you to MPEG. Again, you don't want this. What you want is making a regular data disc that happens to have an XVid on it.

> I'm doing it so that I will be able to play it on a vcd/dvd player.

> So I must go through this process me thinks.

Oh, in that case yes. Perhaps I'd convert it to MPEG first then, so you can decide at which point you want to break it up. (Because it still won't fit on one CD)

Cheers,

Chanchao