Thai Police: A Law Unto Themselves

khunopie

i disagree, i think they are scum.
In 2003 Thailand's then prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra—a former mid-ranking policeman and businessman—told police to wage "war on drugs", resulting in at least 1,300 extra-judicial killings.

why does the number always change every time i read it? last i heard it was 3000 deaths

What personal experiences have you had if the Thai Police that leads you to think they are scum?

During the last 'War On Drugs' the newly appointed builder of my house arranged to have a squad of some seven police raid my house in search of drugs (they were most surprised to find out I was a farang) as the <deleted> builder thought that if they were to plant/find something, said builder would be able to keep the advance I had stupidly paid upfront for the construction.

This is all on record at the local cop shop, the sargeant on duty at the time of my report, on advice from my solicitor, being filed, I have to say, looked sincerely taken aback and apologetic.

It later transpired that the builder was of course, a relative of another 'high' ranking police officer still working there. SCUM. :o

Well you are clearly not in jaol currently thus I suspect the truth was made to surface somehow and it sounds like the police may have played some role in that? I presume the case went to court and this is how all the facts of the case surfaced or is there something else that we don't see here?

What planet are you on? Or more to the point, which country do you think you are living in? When I related this story to a friend who'd lived here for over twenty years, he was not in the least surprised. 'I presume the case went to court' You idiot! Read my post again. If you need help with your sight I SUBMITTED A REPORT TO THE POLICE STATION ON THE ADVICE OF MY SOLICITOR, merely as a record of the police behaviour in the event they might try it again, but this time leave 'some evidence'. But am assuming you need help with your intelligence quotient/understanding, with which you're on your own. You fool.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"who pulled you over a mouthfull over catching real criminals blah blah." not at all, I have never argued with a policeman EVER Full stop! that's why I don't like or appreciate the confrontational style of Australian police.

Said officer then probably decided that "words of advice" would fall on deaf ears and summonsed you to appear at court. The magistrate obviously disagreed with you re the mitigating factors also. Quite why the police are 'Rambos" and not as humble as the Thai police because they prosecuted you for it I don't know. Dont try and double guess or create your own scenerio. I was a little embarissed, extremely humble for my minor indiscretion, and appologized profusely, I then picked up all the pieces and placed them in a bin close by. The officer proceeded with the arrest when I was finished!!!!!!!!!!!! Read what I typed, it never went to court as it was such a stupid stupid thing for the cop to arrest for: prosecutors dropped the charges and it NEVER went to court. Read next time! The officer should have had common sense, he didn't.

Similarly there is more to the story of you getting arrested for merely kicking a bottle in the street. Exactly what offence were you arrested for? There was none, sober, walking with a good friend on a inner city footpath.

BTW if the BIB near you are so good, why did they need you to catch this criminal who committed such a "dispicaable (sic) act" They did not "need" me to catch this criminal, they politely asked for advise on age, likely nationality and as to how a farang could be found in a given location, knowing a brand of motorbike identifiable from CTV camera.

Here's a story about the police that might be somewhat illuminating.

My wife has a 40-year old aunt who is physically and mentally disabled. She has the cognitive ability of a 4-year old child and gross physical deformities. About six months ago she was 'raped' by a drunken villager who was invited to sleep in the family house after a night of drinking. The woman didn't put up much of a fight, but didn't understand what was happening to her either. The male perpetrator was about 28 y/o and fairly good looking.

The next morning, when the family found out what happened, the police were brought in. They told the family to go to the hospital for a vaginal inspection and a search for semen. The hospital provided written confirmation the the rape did in fact take place. Evidently she was raped multiple times as there was a large volume of semen present. The family then took the paper to the local police who refused to do anything, but sent them to police headquarters in town.

The inspectors at the main headquarters interviewed the aunt, but the aunt has very limited language skills and could not answer the questions in any kind of sensible way. They refused to allow another family member to answer for her. At the end of the interview they indicated that since she never screamed or fought, the sex was consensual. They furthermore indicated that it could not possibly have been rape because the perpetrator was a young and handsome man and could have any woman he wanted, but the woman was old, stupid, and physically deformed. They refused to press charges.

After more discussion, the police indicated that if the family insisted on pressing charges the police would do so, but the family would have to pay 20,000 BT up front to cover police and court costs. The family didn't have that kind of money, so they went home disappointed, disgusted, infuriated, and completely demoralized.

True story. Happened about 6 months ago.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

"who pulled you over a mouthfull over catching real criminals blah blah." not at all, I have never argued with a policeman EVER Full stop! that's why I don't like or appreciate the confrontational style of Australian police.

Said officer then probably decided that "words of advice" would fall on deaf ears and summonsed you to appear at court. The magistrate obviously disagreed with you re the mitigating factors also. Quite why the police are 'Rambos" and not as humble as the Thai police because they prosecuted you for it I don't know. Dont try and double guess or create your own scenerio. I was a little embarissed, extremely humble for my minor indiscretion, and appologized profusely, I then picked up all the pieces and placed them in a bin close by. The officer proceeded with the arrest when I was finished!!!!!!!!!!!! Read what I typed, it never went to court as it was such a stupid stupid thing for the cop to arrest for: prosecutors dropped the charges and it NEVER went to court. Read next time! The officer should have had common sense, he didn't.Maybe you should heed your own advice about reading what was typed. I was talking about you going to court for going almost twice the speed limit, not the kicking the bottle incident.

Similarly there is more to the story of you getting arrested for merely kicking a bottle in the street. Exactly what offence were you arrested for? There was none, sober, walking with a good friend on a inner city footpath.The only offence I could think of would be littering which surely isnt arrestable in Australia. You originally said you kicked the bottle then picked it up 5 seconds later. Now you say the bottle smashed, you apologised profusely and picked all the pieces up. Slightly more to it than originally stated. I do agree that some officers are very anal and don't apply common sense or discretion though. Trust me, these ones are disliked by their colleagues also.

BTW if the BIB near you are so good, why did they need you to catch this criminal who committed such a "dispicaable (sic) act" They did not "need" me to catch this criminal, they politely asked for advise on age, likely nationality and as to how a farang could be found in a given location, knowing a brand of motorbike identifiable from CTV camera.

Ok, if they are so capable why did they ask you for advice on catching him. All the above is pretty standard policework.

My wife has a 40-year old aunt who is physically and mentally disabled. She has the cognitive ability of a 4-year old child and gross physical deformities. About six months ago she was 'raped' by a drunken villager who was invited to sleep in the family house after a night of drinking. The woman didn't put up much of a fight, but didn't understand what was happening to her either. The male perpetrator was about 28 y/o and fairly good looking.

The next morning, when the family found out what happened, the police were brought in. They told the family to go to the hospital for a vaginal inspection and a search for semen. The hospital provided written confirmation the the rape did in fact take place. Evidently she was raped multiple times as there was a large volume of semen present. The family then took the paper to the local police who refused to do anything, but sent them to police headquarters in town.

The inspectors at the main headquarters interviewed the aunt, but the aunt has very limited language skills and could not answer the questions in any kind of sensible way. They refused to allow another family member to answer for her. At the end of the interview they indicated that since she never screamed or fought, the sex was consensual. They furthermore indicated that it could not possibly have been rape because the perpetrator was a young and handsome man and could have any woman he wanted, but the woman was old, stupid, and physically deformed. They refused to press charges.

After more discussion, the police indicated that if the family insisted on pressing charges the police would do so, but the family would have to pay 20,000 BT up front to cover police and court costs. The family didn't have that kind of money, so they went home disappointed, disgusted, infuriated, and completely demoralized.

Was there no 'local justice' handed out to him?

I dealt with a similar case in the UK where a 15 year old lad raped a 24 year old, who had the cognitive ability of a 13 year old and was extremely shy and trusting, in a fast food restaurant. Hospital found some vaginal injuries. Cocky little b*stard said in interview that she had been begging him and he could have any girl he wanted so didnt need to rape etc. CCTV in the restaurant showed her following him in to the toilet so the CPS refused to prosecute due to the only hard evidence being her statement. The force appealed the decision but CPS point blank refused. It was so hard to remain professional after he was told he wouldn't be charged.

Addendum to the story. I forgot to mention that the perpetrator is HIV positive and obviously didn't use a condom during the multiple rapes he committed against the aunt that evening. Doctors at the hospital provided her with morning after pill to ward against pregnancy and I believe some other kind of medicine to reduce the chances of her acquiring HIV.

About a month ago the guy was hanging around the house and acting as if nothing had ever happened. Village justice was swift and sure as my wife's entire clan pummeled this guy heavily - not to the point where he needed hospitalization, but it was definitely a beating he won't soon forget.

I don't care what "a respected publication" says, I like the Thai Police a thousand more times than your average cops back home. They might line their pockets from time to time, they can also work hard for the people from time to time. Don't change BIB's.

So, Where's home, China, Burma, Eastern Europe?

So, you now live in a local temple in CM. Guess when you're out at 6 am, bare footed, begging for food, the boys in brown tights are still asleep.

As per an earlier post, what is your grip! Australia is my place of birth, and place of having repeated frustration with police. Once arrested for kicking an empty stubby lying in my path(18yrs), picked up and put in a bin 5 seconds later, but still arrested for the act(charges dropped by prosection due to idiotic Rambo Police). Sent to court and lost lisence for driving 40 kms over the speed limit (3 lane highway, wooded forest area, no residential, no kids, no paths, just inside city marked boundry 20 metres before a 110km zone, speed, 104kms hour, marked speed limit, 60kms hour, danger to population, NO more than a sparrows fart).

I've got my gripes, and I have every right. I don't like Austrailian cops or the way they act. In Thailand, 7.00am one of our finiest ensures traffic moves smoothly in and out of my daughters school, I give him a big Sawadee (everyday), he smiles like it makes his day, and I get a great kick out of it too. Last year a local Sgt asked for my help in tracking down a farang that had caused considerable problems in CM and commited one of the most dispicaable acts I know of in my years here! I greatfully helped out and the guy is now no longer residing in Thailand. Think what you want, I live by my experiences, Australian cops need a lesson of humility by Thai BIB's.

Firstly, unless the Australian judicial process is completely different from the UK, it was the courts who took your licence off you for travelling at nearly twice the limit not the police. Judging from the anti-police attitude that you are displaying here, you probably gave the officer who pulled you over a mouthfull over catching real criminals blah blah. Said officer then probably decided that "words of advice" would fall on deaf ears and summonsed you to appear at court. The magistrate obviously disagreed with you re the mitigating factors also. Quite why the police are 'Rambos" and not as humble as the Thai police because they prosecuted you for it I don't know. Do you believe it is better to be able to bribe your way out of it there and then? At what level of offence do you believe that bribery should not be acceptable?

Similarly there is more to the story of you getting arrested for merely kicking a bottle in the street. Exactly what offence were you arrested for?

I personally have never had any negative experiences with the Thai police and have been dealt with professionally every time they have decided to randomly stop and search me, including one time outside my apartment block early in the evening. However if I was ever involved in a negative situation with a police officer I would much prefer to be in a western country where the courts and complaints procedures are far more robust and far more of a deterrent to a corrupt officer.

BTW if the BIB near you are so good, why did they need you to catch this criminal who committed such a "dispicaable (sic) act"

Jay Jay has some authority issues. He emphasizes his "rights" but he forgets that he left most of those "rights" back in Australia. Here in Thailand his "rights" are at the pleasure of the individual BIB when he can find one or heaven forbid, one finds him. We are on our own here in the LOS. I hope Jay Jay is teaching his daughter how to respect authority in this world of globalization. If moving traffic along in your Soi is the measure of proper police service then he has found his Nirvana. :o

Said officer then probably decided that "words of advice" would fall on deaf ears and summonsed you to appear at court. The magistrate obviously disagreed with you re the mitigating factors also. Quite why the police are 'Rambos" and not as humble as the Thai police because they prosecuted you for it I don't know. Dont try and double guess or create your own scenerio. I was a little embarissed, extremely humble for my minor indiscretion, and appologized profusely, I then picked up all the pieces and placed them in a bin close by. The officer proceeded with the arrest when I was finished!!!!!!!!!!!! Read what I typed, it never went to court as it was such a stupid stupid thing for the cop to arrest for: prosecutors dropped the charges and it NEVER went to court. Read next time! The officer should have had common sense, he didn't.Maybe you should heed your own advice about reading what was typed. I was talking about you going to court for going almost twice the speed limit, not the kicking the bottle incident.

Similarly there is more to the story of you getting arrested for merely kicking a bottle in the street. Exactly what offence were you arrested for? There was none, sober, walking with a good friend on a inner city footpath.The only offence I could think of would be littering which surely isnt arrestable in Australia. You originally said you kicked the bottle then picked it up 5 seconds later. Now you say the bottle smashed, you apologised profusely and picked all the pieces up. Slightly more to it than originally stated. I do agree that some officers are very anal and don't apply common sense or discretion though. Trust me, these ones are disliked by their colleagues also.

Ok, if they are so capable why did they ask you for advice on catching him. All the above is pretty standard policework.

Exactly, that's why I dont like western police, personal choice- Yes, do I have to live with them- no, only on holidays back home! My opinion and experiences are mine, and your are yours, we differ in our opinions, but don't second guess me.

And to grantbkk, you are judging me and you have no right too. As you do go onto say, I leave my rights to acknowlege Australia authority in Australia, correct, and thats the way I want it. I also dont want Thai police to change to be like Australia police. Second to that, I think 18yrs in Thailand now, and nothing but continued pleasure in living alongside Thai police. I do have to accept that I live under the rights given to me by the Thai police. And I am happy.

Re(way2muchcoffee)The story above is shocking, it would not happen in environments I have been surrounded by in Thailand, so I don't know why police did not press charges against this man. As StateSix so wisely questioned (second guessed me), there must be more to this story. I hope that real justice, not just a beating will prevail in that case, just the same, I hope that abuses of authority are contained in Australia to make police fully accountable and less aggressive to average law abiding citizens.

Edited by jayjayjayjay

I don't care what "a respected publication" says, I like the Thai Police a thousand more times than your average cops back home. They might line their pockets from time to time, they can also work hard for the people from time to time. Don't change BIB's.

"Back home" I don't see groups of cops blocking a cross road or stopping cars on a high way and requesting 100 or 200 Baht from every driver they happen to stop.

When it happened to me my wife stared blanc in the void, ignoring the cop.

The cop said clearly to her: Can't you tell the farang what he needs to do when he gets stopped by us???????

The checks daily ckecks for helmets, driver's license and light are they someting else than a scam :o ?

Not much more to the story really.

1) No signs of resistance or struggle (bruising, cuts, etc) = No Rape

2) Young handsome man with Old deformed woman = No Rape

3) No Monetary Incentive for police = No Rape

The villagers don't usually go to the police for anything in that area as the police are despised for their corruption and abuse. Usually they will take disputes to the village headman. In this case, the man who raped my wife's aunt was a cousin of the village headman, so there was no assistance forthcoming.

Anyone who thinks Thai police deserve any form of praise need to have their heads examined.

---------

The Thai chicks seem to be crazy about them, both amatures and pros.

I admire them because they get more Thai poontang than anyone else for free... :o

getting beaten up by villagers though understandable is not justifiable in a civilised society....it has taken 2000 years of gradual evolution of political systems to realise that "lynch mobs" and the like are not justice...this kind of activity belongs in the stone age and is the hallmark of a society not in control.

If there is one thing more dangerous than criminals it's corrupt police. Who will protect the public against the very institution that is meant to do this?

The role of the police in most democracies is clearly defined and separated from other institutions of power such as the legislative,judiciary and the military. This is done for good reason......I see little evidence of this in Thailand.

Every system has it's failures in the form of corruption but citing individual transgressions does not address or solve the problem, the problem is institutional or constitutional and no amount of "clean-ups" will eradicate the problem unless the role of the police in Thai society is redefined

getting beaten up by villagers though understandable is not justifiable in a civilised society....it has taken 2000 years of gradual evolution of political systems to realise that "lynch mobs" and the like are not justice...this kind of activity belongs in the stone age and is the hallmark of a society not in control.

If there is one thing more dangerous than criminals it's corrupt police. Who will protect the public against the very institution that is meant to do this?

The role of the police in most democracies is clearly defined and separated from other institutions of power such as the legislative,judiciary and the military. This is done for good reason......I see little evidence of this in Thailand.

Every system has it's failures in the form of corruption but citing individual transgressions does not address or solve the problem, the problem is institutional or constitutional and no amount of "clean-ups" will eradicate the problem unless the role of the police in Thai society is redefined

Good post. I couldn't agree more. I know lots of policemen here and, on the whole, I think they're decent people but they're operating within a very corrupt system and as individuals have very little chance of changing anything. Sadly, I can't see the political will needed to take action emerging any time soon. There's far too many vested interests amongst Thailand's movers & shapers for that to happen.

There's far too many vested interests amongst Thailand's movers & shapers for that to happen.

Thanks. That one line sums it up beautifully. Unless you can find Serpico or Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) to help, nothing much is going to change.

From personal experience, there seems to be a marked difference between Tourist Area (Pattaya, from experience) and countryside (remote Issan) police. In Pattaya, corruption is very blatant. But to be fair, police in Issan are 'rotated' to tourist destinations - perhaps so they can share in the 'spoils.'

Peter

From personal experience, there seems to be a marked difference between Tourist Area (Pattaya, from experience) and countryside (remote Issan) police. In Pattaya, corruption is very blatant. But to be fair, police in Issan are 'rotated' to tourist destinations - perhaps so they can share in the 'spoils.'

Peter

I understand they're expected to make a personal "investment" to ensure their rotation.

welcome to the stone age!

Hey if this happend to my little sister, I would make the guy suffer.

Too right!

And I think you'll find that from the ancient civilisations right up to WW2 there has been mob justice in the so-called civilised western world.

German bomber crews having to bail out over cities they'd bombed often were strung up from lamp-posts if the police couldn't get to them in time!

The old adage - An Eye for an Eye comes more evident than you think from people affected by something badly enough... :o

German bomber crews having to bail out over cities they'd bombed often were strung up from lamp-posts if the police couldn't get to them in time!

:o Another inventive play on history. I am unaware of such events, even after the firebombings of London and elsewhere in the UK. Perhaps in the Soviet Union, but that's what you get for murdering tens of millions of non combatants.

As for our beloved BiB, never had a run in and have often seen them interacting with the local population alot more positively than the police would do in my homeland - it's a miracle if the coppers even get out of their cars. (My home city has one of the biggest and most powerful police unions where unprofessional behaviour goes unpunished.) That being said, I have a deep seated fear of the BiB based on their PR and past activities. I'm a farang and will not get the same treatment as a wealthy Thai. That's my reality.

welcome to the stone age!

Hey if this happend to my little sister, I would make the guy suffer.

Too right!

And I think you'll find that from the ancient civilisations right up to WW2 there has been mob justice in the so-called civilised western world.

The old adage - An Eye for an Eye comes more evident than you think from people affected by something badly enough... :o

.....and that makes it OK???? apart from your rather naive view of history.....

The first step in trying to eliminate corruption in the police force should be getting rid of the practice of paying 'tea money' to secure a position. The new recruits & their families have a massive outlay of money that needs to be recouped, & this can certainly not be done on the 'basic' salary of a low level policeman.

Entrance examinations for this years intake of recruits have just recently been held & those lucky enough be selected have had their 'interviews'. It is at these 'interviews' that a large amount of cash is handed over. It is a simple case of no money no job.

Two relatives of my wife have been accepted for this years intake & been to the 'interview' where B250000 for each was paid. This is for the lowest entry level (Year 12/High school graduate). The police also accept recruits with university degrees for entry to higher positions where the 'tea money' payable is higher.

This practice is widespread throughout Thailand & applies to the Government Civil/Public Service, Army etc for any position of consequence.

Another example is the son of a close friend of my wife has just taken up a position in the Army that involves engineering/technical related work & associated training/schooling, this cost B400000. This cost more than a police position because of the very limited number available & the high prestige value associated with it.

To me these seem very high figures but i don't have any reason to doubt their validity. There's going to an awful lot of backhanders trying to recover these amounts.

The first step in trying to eliminate corruption in the police force should be getting rid of the practice of paying 'tea money' to secure a position. The new recruits & their families have a massive outlay of money that needs to be recouped, & this can certainly not be done on the 'basic' salary of a low level policeman.

Entrance examinations for this years intake of recruits have just recently been held & those lucky enough be selected have had their 'interviews'. It is at these 'interviews' that a large amount of cash is handed over. It is a simple case of no money no job.

Two relatives of my wife have been accepted for this years intake & been to the 'interview' where B250000 for each was paid. This is for the lowest entry level (Year 12/High school graduate). The police also accept recruits with university degrees for entry to higher positions where the 'tea money' payable is higher.

This practice is widespread throughout Thailand & applies to the Government Civil/Public Service, Army etc for any position of consequence.

Another example is the son of a close friend of my wife has just taken up a position in the Army that involves engineering/technical related work & associated training/schooling, this cost B400000. This cost more than a police position because of the very limited number available & the high prestige value associated with it.

To me these seem very high figures but i don't have any reason to doubt their validity. There's going to an awful lot of backhanders trying to recover these amounts.

Sounds like a scriprt for a Sopranos episode rather than a model for a viable Police Force.

i disagree, i think they are scum.
In 2003 Thailand's then prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra—a former mid-ranking policeman and businessman—told police to wage "war on drugs", resulting in at least 1,300 extra-judicial killings.

why does the number always change every time i read it? last i heard it was 3000 deaths

What personal experiences have you had if the Thai Police that leads you to think they are scum?

During the last 'War On Drugs' the newly appointed builder of my house arranged to have a squad of some seven police raid my house in search of drugs (they were most surprised to find out I was a farang) as the <deleted> builder thought that if they were to plant/find something, said builder would be able to keep the advance I had stupidly paid upfront for the construction.

This is all on record at the local cop shop, the sargeant on duty at the time of my report, on advice from my solicitor, being filed, I have to say, looked sincerely taken aback and apologetic.

It later transpired that the builder was of course, a relative of another 'high' ranking police officer still working there. SCUM. :o

Well you are clearly not in jaol currently thus I suspect the truth was made to surface somehow and it sounds like the police may have played some role in that? I presume the case went to court and this is how all the facts of the case surfaced or is there something else that we don't see here?

What planet are you on? Or more to the point, which country do you think you are living in? When I related this story to a friend who'd lived here for over twenty years, he was not in the least surprised. 'I presume the case went to court' You idiot! Read my post again. If you need help with your sight I SUBMITTED A REPORT TO THE POLICE STATION ON THE ADVICE OF MY SOLICITOR, merely as a record of the police behaviour in the event they might try it again, but this time leave 'some evidence'. But am assuming you need help with your intelligence quotient/understanding, with which you're on your own. You fool.

I tend to believe that the personality and style of an individual has something of a bearing in these matters. If I get that kind of response from you for asking a question, goodness knows what you might have to say if I made a statement! Shall we move on.