Villa Market

jonniebkk

Everyone has their own opinion of the new Villa Market. I find it useful for some items that cannot be found elseware. The prices are high but that's for the imported stuff. This is not a rant on their selection or pricing. I am wondering how they are doing businesswise.

Does anyone have anything other than an educated guess as to if their sales are doing well? The times I am there, there are always some people milling about and buying stuff but it is never crowded. Are they making enough money to stay open as a ongoing concern? I would hate to loose them.

The villa market is really the anchor store for that whole place over there. I was

pleased they're keeping those 24 hour open times but it can be really empty in

there. I'm not sure if it's the service or the food, but the diner is kind of tanking,

it's always deserted as well. It takes some time for these places to get rolling,

hopefully it won't shut-down and the rest of the mall will get a footing. :o

sometimes the diner is busy especially around dinner time. i was there last friday night and it was completely full, but maybe that was related to the holiday; if you dont want to lose them, go out of your way to shop there, except for some of the crazy priced imported stuff. buy your magazines from them if you can. some things are actually cheaper there than at carrefour, big c, etc, and they do have real sales of items that can be 20% off; unlike when Big c has a sale, and it's 1 baht off something you don't want.

i am confident if they arent making $, they will close shop and leave withtout hesitation.

at the diner, try the #39 chicken with cashew nuts for 88 baht. yes you can get it cheaper somewhere else but Villa gives a nice portion with real fresh veggies, top quality. and here s a tip, for 20 baht extra, they wuill give a large portion, which is almost twice as much.

support this mall if you want it to stay open; also the other businesses there too, like the pharmac inside the market, you can get phone cards from the watch store in the front, use the small business center etc.

and the best bargain at villa are the fresh means, from thailand. they are far far far superior to the junk at the other big markets, really almost as good as the imported stuff, for 1/2 the price. their meat is high quality Thai local stuff. for the money, you cant do better. they also have prepackaged fresh cooked/smoked chicken breasts for 50 to 70 baht per package, an amazing value for top quality .

The villa market is really the anchor store for that whole place over there. I was

pleased they're keeping those 24 hour open times but it can be really empty in

there. I'm not sure if it's the service or the food, but the diner is kind of tanking,

it's always deserted as well. It takes some time for these places to get rolling,

hopefully it won't shut-down and the rest of the mall will get a footing. :o

What's it been...about 4-5 months now. I am not so worried about 24/7 hours if it's not justified. Just that they do well enough to stay open and prove that there is a market in Pattaya for an "upscale" food market. I mean, with all these luxury condos and housing estates developers claim there is such an big market for, you would think that the folks buying these places would also be the people also shopping at Villa? As I have long suspected, maybe there really is no market for all these luxury places :D

As for The Avenue center itself, they really bungled the overall concept/design if you ask me. To start with, the Flintstones-Bedrock theme of HUGE paving stones and pebbles strew about is really stupid. All the grass/dirt between the pavers gets trampled on and dies and looks unsightly and everyone (especially ladies in high-heals) trips and twist ankles on the pebbles. The other colossal miscalculation, of course, was making it an OPEN-AIR mall...in THAILAND for <deleted>'s sake. So your customers roast in the heat of the day or die from humidity at nite or get drenched when it rains. One of those three weather conditions covers just about everyday of the year in Thailand. So the consequence it that instead of wandering around an air-coned mall and visiting all the shops, your customers just hurriedly go to Villa or some other single business and then get the heck out of there pronto!

they appear to be building one in hua hin at the moment , no idea when it will open , but it will be a welcome addition.

the food section at tescos here is dismal and their stocking policy leaves much to be desired.

I think that is almost a nationwide problem with Tesco's, from my experience anyway....

at the diner, try the #39 chicken with cashew nuts for 88 baht. yes you can get it cheaper somewhere else but Villa gives a nice portion with real fresh veggies, top quality. and here s a tip, for 20 baht extra, they wuill give a large portion, which is almost twice as much.

Good suggestion there Lynn...I so like their cashew-nut chicken but the portion was so small. If I can get almost 2x for + B20 (B 110), while that is still pretty pricy for this dish, I am more apt to go for it. I didn't know about this policy.

and the best bargain at villa are the fresh means, from thailand. they are far far far superior to the junk at the other big markets, really almost as good as the imported stuff, for 1/2 the price. their meat is high quality Thai local stuff. for the money, you cant do better. they also have prepackaged fresh cooked/smoked chicken breasts for 50 to 70 baht per package, an amazing value for top quality .

Their meats (pre-cooked and raw) do look very good and I do buy ham and stuff on occasion. Didn't notice the cooked chicken breast however. I will pick up a pack next time as they will go good on my homemade grilled chicken breast salads.

Also agree that they do have some good specials...not like those 1 baht "specials" the Big C runs :o

Has anybody tried the new, small, "Villa Market" on Khao Noi yet? I believe it opened on the 13th. Comments?

I have a house near there, and have driven past it a few times, before it opened. I'm not sure its anything to do with the real Villa at all. Firstly, it calls itself Villa Supermarket, not Villa Market (as all the other branches are called), and secondly the logo is completely wrong . . . .

I think its just an ordinary mini-mart trying to capitalise on the name. However, when I'm down in Pattaya this coming weekend, I'll have a look. I'm willing to be proved wrong.

Edited by grtaylor

Yes, when that first opened they had a real pretty green space out front. I was full of admiration

they left trees standing in place and built around them. Then, in a move I still can't figure out,

they bull-dozed 10-15 meters off the front and covered it with bricks? anyone explain that?

Maybe LynnSmith is on to something, I was also a bit disappointed in portion size at the diner

but completely unaware you could upgrade to "hungry man" size servings. :o They've

even got some fatboy diner on 2nd floor, I've not even checked that out yet.

They've even got some fatboy diner on 2nd floor, I've not even checked that out yet.

I have heard Fatboy is pretty good...if you want or burger or stuff like that. However, you better hurry as I predict that all the stores above the ground level (except Shenanigans and the movie and bowling anchors) will likely close sooner rather than later :o

we have shopped in villa quite a few times and also used a couple of the other places,but as was said before the big problem is that its all open ,and as the weather gets hotter we have virtually stopped using the place .

it really beats me why they designed it as an open air mall .

jonniebkk, i have to admit, you make an excellent point about it being an outdoor mall.

subconciously i suppose, one of the pleasures of shopping is that you can cool off, but

here, making a trek to the 2nd or 3rd level is a sweaty affair. i'm not even sure what's

on the 3rd floor because i only ventured up there once? it always takes these places

months to build up a considerable customer base. it's a super location but i'm starting

to think now maybe some of their design ideas were perhaps not so clever? :o

they appear to be building one in hua hin at the moment , no idea when it will open , but it will be a welcome addition.

the food section at tescos here is dismal and their stocking policy leaves much to be desired.

Tesco I tried for the first time last week. Yes it leaves much to be desired but I find the selection at friendship to be better in some cases or the one by the dolphin rotary in pattaya...

There is also that one up North ave in Pattaya with a 24 hour diner that seems always busy like

the same one in Banghkok(Nana).

The bakery in Villa stocks too much Deli France crap...(is there a decent deli in Pattaya?)

but they do have a superior choice of imported($$!) yogurt.

I like the turkey sandwhich in the villa diner...maybe the only place i've seen in Pattaya to

get a turkey sandwhich. :o Bottom line, each of the supermarkets has something to offer - this is competition at its best!

Tesco I tried for the first time last week. Yes it leaves much to be desired but I find the selection at friendship to be better in some cases or the one by the dolphin rotary in pattaya...

There is also that one up North ave in Pattaya with a 24 hour diner that seems always busy like

the same one in Banghkok(Nana).

The bakery in Villa stocks too much Deli France crap...(is there a decent deli in Pattaya?)

but they do have a superior choice of imported($$!) yogurt.

I like the turkey sandwhich in the villa diner...maybe the only place i've seen in Pattaya to

get a turkey sandwhich. :o Bottom line, each of the supermarkets has something to offer - this is competition at its best!

You seem to have your directions a little bit mixed up, the place you are reffering to with the 24 hour diner on North Avenue in Pattaya like the one in Nana, I think you actually mean Foodland, which rather than being on Pattaya North (or more correctly Pattaya Nua) is actually on Pattaya Klang (Central).

I think the Tesco you are reffering to is the one South of Pattaya Tai (South) which I also don't find very good. I find the Tesco on Pattaya Nua (North) which is the road that leads from the Dolphin roundabout to Sukhumvit the better of the 3 Tesco's we have in Pattaya. There is also a Tesco on the East side of Pattaya, almost directly opposite Pattaya Klang (Central)

But you are correct there is a very healthy level of competition here with the supermarkets but each seem to have something to offer.

I feel that the location is wrong for a successful business of this nature. They will survive but not I feel become a jewel in the crown of the Villa operation. My reasoning is as follows:

The vast majority of the resident purchasing power lives on the outskirts of town or on the dark side. With traffic problems not getting any better in town it does not make sense to waste 2 hours getting there and back when C4, Lotus and Foodland are all closer for folks who live out of town. This then leaves the smaller catchment of resident locals and a transient population of tourists who would prefer to eat out in a restaurant or bar.

I like the place but only ever go first thing in the morning and then maybe only every two weeks simply because of the hassle and the 'shop too far' mentality which inhabits my subconscious thinking.

Can anyone remember the Spinneys supermarket next to Royal Garden that got wiped out when Foodland opened?

Poor location for residents again.

The vast majority of the resident purchasing power lives on the outskirts of town or on the dark side. With traffic problems not getting any better in town it does not make sense to waste 2 hours getting there and back when C4, Lotus and Foodland are all closer for folks who live out of town. This then leaves the smaller catchment of resident locals and a transient population of tourists who would prefer to eat out in a restaurant or bar.

Some good points, especially the last one. It sure was a strange business decision (for both Villa and the center's developers) to make an upscale grocery store one of the anchor tenants in a mall, due to its location, appeals primarily to tourists. And as you say, most tourists do not come to Pattaya to grocery shop (especially at 2-3x the price of what they pay back home). Don't really know what they both were thinking.

One good location might have been where they just build that Lotus Express...behind Numchai on Sukhumvit. Easy access from the Farside and from Sukhumvit on the new thru road and plenty of parking.

I guess they are counting on the development of all the new condos along 2nd road (Central Mall [which will likely have it's own gourmet market or a high-end Tops]) and the filling in of the soi running behind The Avenue with new condos as providing additional customer base. In addition, like it or not, they do have lots of items that cannot be found elsewhere so if one wants to buy them you have to go to Villa.

As to the distance from the Farside, where I too live, once you get over the psychological barrier of the traffic, it really isn't that bad. In the mornings, I can get down there in 10 mins. Returning home, even at mid-day or early afternoon, takes only 15-20. So it's really not that bad.

And as you say, most tourists do not come to Pattaya to grocery shop (especially at 2-3x the price of what they pay back home). Don't really know what they both were thinking.

I think your forgetting Villa's gourmet beer, wine and deli sections. A sure draw for upscale tourists, of which, there are many more now coming to Pattaya for their holiday.

Edited by zaphodbeeblebrox

And as you say, most tourists do not come to Pattaya to grocery shop (especially at 2-3x the price of what they pay back home). Don't really know what they both were thinking.

I think your forgetting Villa's gourmet beer, wine and deli sections. A sure draw for upscale tourists, of which, there are many more now coming to Pattaya for their holiday.

This could certainly be true for people who come for longer term holidays or a whole season. But this would still represent a fairly small portion of the overall market. I too don't mind paying for quality or unique items if that's what I want. Just hope there are enough like this now living/visiting Pattaya.

As to the distance from the Farside, where I too live, once you get over the psychological barrier of the traffic, it really isn't that bad. In the mornings, I can get down there in 10 mins. Returning home, even at mid-day or early afternoon, takes only 15-20. So it's really not that bad.

How far past the Darkside is the Farside?

What method of transport enables you to get to Villa in ten minutes from the farside of the darkside?

Can it be that The Space-Time Continuum of the Special Theory of Relativity doesn't apply in the Farside?

Ten minutes? Ten minutes? The force must be with you.

How far past the Darkside is the Farside?

What method of transport enables you to get to Villa in ten minutes from the farside of the darkside?

Can it be that The Space-Time Continuum of the Special Theory of Relativity doesn't apply in the Farside?

Ten minutes? Ten minutes? The force must be with you.

I was actually wondering about the same. I go in every morning 7:30, and it takes me 25-30 minutes without fail (weekends a bit less). I live 16 kms from the spot I go to on Beach Road (and no, it is not the G-Spot, they are not open so early. Must talk to management about this). If it takes 10 minutes, it must be very close to Suk, like on Soi Nern Plub Wan, west of the railway line.

As for dark side and far side, I do think those are the same, if not please correct me. I have the impression the dividing line is the Suk highway.

As an aside, why this "fighting" about the dark side and the (what should we call it) the bright side? I would hope that people settle where they prefer, and use the facilities of both "sides" as it makes sense.

The dark side would not even exist was it not for the bright side...

Can anyone remember the Spinneys supermarket next to Royal Garden that got wiped out when Foodland opened?

Poor location for residents again.

Well I was waiting for someone else to speak up here, but no takers so here goes! :D

Back in the 80's, before Spinney's relocated under the Royal Garden, it was located on Soi Post Office. It was almost at the end of the soi near the corner of beach road. It was in 4-6 shophouses and since it was basically the only upscale market in town at the time for farang food items, it did a roaring business there. Note: The original Friendship market also had a bit of farang food items also then. The original is still located the same place on S. Pattaya Rd, about half way between the corner of 2nd Road and Beach Road. The boss of the new Friendship was only a very young girl then. The main problem with using the old Friendship back then was that they had 2 dogs that used to hide under the desk at the door going in, and they would attack your ankles each and every time you went in! Never bit hard, but scared the hel_l out of you when you weren't expecting it! :D

Just a bit of trivia here, I know this has nothing to do with the topic itself. :o

Good suggestion there Lynn...I so like their cashew-nut chicken but the portion was so small. If I can get almost 2x for + B20 (B 110), while that is still pretty pricy for this dish, I am more apt to go for it. I didn't know about this policy.

I've ordered chicken and cashews there twice. The serving size was so small it was insulting. I tried a second time to see if the first time was a mistake.

It did taste good, but LynnSmith, you must be a very small eater to think those servings are "a nice portion".

I'll have to give your "add 20 baht" plan a try.

Villa Market has some great deals. NewZealand shoulder roast which can be cut into chops for 500 Baht, Bagels sixpack for 90 Baht, which is 15 Baht a bagel 25 baht cheaper than anywhere else. Sure some of the other imported items are expensive, bur remember their are shipping costs etc.

Barry

This could certainly be true for people who come for longer term holidays or a whole season. But this would still represent a fairly small portion of the overall market. I too don't mind paying for quality or unique items if that's what I want. Just hope there are enough like this now living/visiting Pattaya.

Me too, one thing I really miss from Bangkok is the ability to get a good patte...like

those found in that shop that operates in Emporium and Siam centers...

Expensive but great as an occasional treat.

Maybe with that new Mall scheduled to open in 2009 on beach

road(hope I'm getting directions right this time!) in Pattaya we will see some deli items like that....

I've ordered chicken and cashews there twice. The serving size was so small it was insulting. I tried a second time to see if the first time was a mistake.

It did taste good, but LynnSmith, you must be a very small eater to think those servings are "a nice portion".

My hunch is that Lynn is of the female persuasion...therefore not minding those "diet" sized portions :o

My hunch is that Lynn is of the female persuasion...therefore not minding those "diet" sized portions :o

Perhaps, but my GF is a 39 kg shrimp and it really wouldn't have been enough to satisfy her either.

It's was memorable in that it was the smallest serving of chicken & cashews that I have ever seen. I'm surprised that the management of this restaurant doesn't realise that it's bad for business serving up such small meals to Farang. The small servings are not limited to the chicken & cashews either - every meal I've had there is small.

There's just too many good places to eat in Pattaya to be bothered putting up with this type of ripoff.

Edited by tropo