Dvd Rentals

zorro1

I've found that they are usually quite honest about the quality of the DVD, if they think that you live close and will return it, if not what you were promised.

Maybe it the stalls i have been going to. I tend to go for the very latest release usually still showing at the pics and recently threw away several. Maybe next time i will take them back

Quality is not really an issue unless you want a brand new film, which would not be available for rent anyway...if it's old enough to be available as an official DVD for rent, you can also get one from the street stalls with the same quality :o

I think you'll have to go to a larger mall for one of the rental shops: Tsutaya, Mahpong.

Every street DVD I've ever seen, admittedly only five or six, have been crap. If not CAM's, or Telesyncs, they still look and sound terrible (the best part is when someone's mobile rings in the audience on a CAM). Additionally I have never seen a street DVD with additional audio tracks (including commentary), multiple sub-title options, a DVD extras and features.

I think you'll have to go to a larger mall for one of the rental shops: Tsutaya, Mahpong.

Every street DVD I've ever seen, admittedly only five or six, have been crap. If not CAM's, or Telesyncs, they still look and sound terrible (the best part is when someone's mobile rings in the audience on a CAM). Additionally I have never seen a street DVD with additional audio tracks (including commentary), multiple sub-title options, a DVD extras and features.

Yes forgot to mention subtitles important and the ones that I have seen with it translates into something no where near whats happening on screen both in English and Thai. Some of the bts stations do sell them and are same price but better quality however mostly very dated

I've found that they are usually quite honest about the quality of the DVD, if they think that you live close and will return it, if not what you were promised.

Maybe it the stalls i have been going to. I tend to go for the very latest release usually still showing at the pics and recently threw away several. Maybe next time i will take them back

I've bought 1000s of high quality "street" DVDs with subtitles, commentaries, alternate languages and all the extras, and when I do get a bad one, I always take it back. Of course, the DVDs with, commentaries, alternate languages and all the extras are not going to be the ones shot in movie theatres, but I don't want those anyway.

I do insist on "100%" clear ones and usually wait for the second batch that comes out unless the seller tells me the first one is OK. I buy in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai and do get bad copies every so often and I there is nothing that I can do if I don't discover it in that town, but , alll in all, they are still a good deal.

Hard to figure how you're able to get a street DVD with commentary, alternate audio tracks, multiple sub-titles, features, extras, etc. before it's been released on DVD? After official release of a DVD it is possible, but probably not legal or ethical, to decrypt a DVD and copy it. For many DVD's this would require dual-layer blanks. I doubt street vendors are using those, as they are quite expensive?

I confess I have never purchased a street DVD, and have only viewed a handful, All of which have been terrible. Clearly Uslysses G. has had a near perfect experience with 1,000's of street DVDs, so that may be an alternative for the OP.

The good quality DVDs seem to come from the people who are coverting the films and TV series to DVD disc, so they just include all of that stuff.

I have to admit that I am a lot more interested in TV series like the Sopranos, The Shield, West Wing and the Shield than movies these days and all of them don't have the extras, but many do.

The good quality DVDs seem to come from the people who are coverting the films and TV series to DVD disc, so they just include all of that stuff.

I have to admit that I am a lot more interested in TV series like the Sopranos, The Shield, West Wing and the Shield than movies these days and all of them don't have the extras, but many do.

I never thought of Tv stuff. What do you usually pay?

70- 80 baht for each disc, but they have different numbers of shows on them. I think around 3-4 hours, but I'm not sure.

The ones from China - that are sold at the Burma Border - are cheaper, but less hours. They have lots of languages and "extras" on them with really good artwork and packaging.

Edited by Ulysses G.