How Much Would I Need To Spend For A Reasonably Priced Car?

garro

I am just looking for something for getting around town, and maybe the occasional long distance journey. It needs to be more functional than anything else, and I don't mind looking cheap. It does need to be safe though as I have a baby. I am only a teacher so it needs to suit my budget. It will be my first car.

How much should I spend on a reasonably priced second-hand car.

Ideally go Japanese, saloon, with rear seat belts (not NV unless it's the old estate version), not over 12 years, not an old pickup if you are interested in safety (no ABS, airbags, not good for city driving). 100k is possible for a decent car. Don't buy from a tent if you only to pay a 'reasonable amount' as their mark up is something like 25% and there is generally no warranty. I would wait until June when you will find many teachers selling their cars at the end of their contracts at a good price. I expect to sell one or two for my friends in the teaching profession then. Personally I have found that a cars bought from a farang are generally well maintained, but up 2 U. When you buy, run the engine at a standstill for a while with the aircon on full and check for over heating. Check for any signs of respray, ask to see any bills for any repair work done etc etc. Don't worry about body work, interior, stereo etc. these things can be repaired cheaply. Chassis and engine are more important.

Did you ever see a 10 year old car without respray in Thailand?

There is much more than only the engine and the paint to check. suspension shocks, engine mounts, transmission, wheel bearings, brakes bushes differental, tyres, AC (can be expensive to fix), electronic items, like sensors ECU, air flow, etc.

But foe 120k its hard to get a "only 10" year old Japanese car. If you buy a Toyota Soluna, it gonna cost at least a little over 200k. You can try to find a Mitsubishi E Car. Boring, but cheap to maintenance and runs for ever. If you like something bigger, look for a Volvo 940 with a Toyota 1 or 2 JZ engine. About 160 to 180k You can put gas in it to save the fuelcost. If you compare the prices in the car magazines, you'll see that the prices of the tents are not more expensive than private cars. Don't buy a car privately if it still in finance. To much hassles to clear the paperwork. Buy only if you see the blue book. Sure tents make some profit, but teachers not work for free too. Most of private sellers are some kind "Minidealers" and make profit too. They sale at the prices of the tents. Remember: Toyota and Honda you'll never get cheap. The best thing if you buy a car from a Automecanic. Their car usally are in shape. Don't buy the "old Lady's car" Proparly she never checked the fluids and drove around 10 years without oilchange. If you have any questions PM me, i can help.

Edited by stingray

There is much more than only the engine and the paint to check. suspension shocks, engine mounts, transmission, wheel bearings, brakes bushes differental, tyres, AC (can be expensive to fix), electronic items, like sensors ECU, air flow, etc.

But foe 120k its hard to get a "only 10" year old Japanese car. If you buy a Toyota Soluna, it gonna cost at least a little over 200k. You can try to find a Mitsubishi E Car. Boring, but cheap to maintenance and runs for ever. If you like something bigger, look for a Volvo 940 with a Toyota 1 or 2 JZ engine. About 160 to 180k You can put gas in it to save the fuelcost. If you compare the prices in the car magazines, you'll see that the prices of the tents are not more expensive than private cars. Don't buy a car privately if it still in finance. To much hassles to clear the paperwork. Buy only if you see the blue book. Sure tents make some profit, but teachers not work for free too. Most of private sellers are some kind "Minidealers" and make profit too. They sale at the prices of the tents. Remember: Toyota and Honda you'll never get cheap. The best thing if you buy a car from a Automecanic. Their car usally are in shape. Don't buy the "old Lady's car" Proparly she never checked the fluids and drove around 10 years without oilchange. If you have any questions PM me, i can help.

To be fair it should be pointed out that Stingray is a used car dealer in Pattaya and has his own web site and 'tent'. It is easy to get a car under 100,000 if you know where to look, so I think this post is misleading. Try looking on Thai Visa classifieds for example. Sting Ray is very sensitive to any form of competition to his little business and so would rather you did not buy from a private buyer (such as an old lady or a teacher!). I am sure Sting Ray sells good cars, but he should be a little less worried about the competition. :o Relax Stingray!

I have to agree with Eddy that you maybe should have stated from the offset that you yourself are in fact a "tent" used car dealer.

As far as private sales being similar to tent prices, i have to disagree. The main reason why private sellers go to the trouble of advertising and trying to sell the vehicle themselves is that the "tents" only offer an amount that is considerably lower than the market value. So if their car's market value is 300 thousand, perhaps the "tent" trader would offer 240. The private seller then thinks to themselves why not spend a bit of money on advertising and put it up for 275, that way, they make a bit more money and the person that buys also saves. Everyone's a winner as they say. Of course it doesn't always work out this way, and Stingray is certainly right that there are many small time used car traders that are masquerading as private sellers. These are the worst people to buy from.

As far as not buying from the old lady is concerned, i think this sort of driver is quite often the overly cautious type that spends whatever her local garage tells her to spend on up-keep. And at least with the old lady, you know she hasn't been working away in her garage trying to cover up all the tell tale signs that give away a car's dodgy history, and taking miles of the clock.

As to Garro's question... i would suggest looking at Opel Corsas which tend to go from 100k to 150k. Small cheap little run around. Parts might be a little bit of a problem, but generally there's not too much to go wrong.

I never denied that I’m a used car dealer, but no one ever asked me, BTW I never try to hide this, otherwise I wouldn’t use my business email and business phone number in my profile. Personally I’m not worried about competition, as I have some investments in Hawaii and I have a small rental car company too. Correct with all the licenses. But why Bangkok Eddie recommends: “don’t buy from a “tent dealer”? What’s wrong with the “tent dealer” Not every dealer is a crook. Used Car dealer is a business like everything else. For example: In the Supermarket is the Steak cheaper than in the Restaurant, but nobody recomments to not eat in such place. The Restaurant cooks your steak and served to you on the table, that’s what you pay for. Or another thing: I my self speak 5 languages but i couldn’t teach correct English. Therefore we have teachers. The used car business is similar. Every car we buy, from locals mostly, we have to spend at least 20k to fix it, that the car can be driven safely again, without hassles. This is a common problem because many locals don’t maintenance their cars. It’s always the same. Suspension, shocks, bushes, ball joints, brakes, engine mounts, wheel bearings, tires, gaskets, mufflers, filters, etc, have to be fixed or replaced. We do these jobs professionally and we know where to get correct the parts for the correct price. We test cars before we buy and i can "hear and feel" the car when i test drive, because my expirience. We even have a diagnostic computer, which I brought from Hawaii, to check the electronic system and sensors for most of never cars. My self I’m in the car business in the third generation now (Grand parents, Parents and me). I learned my profession in Switzerland for 6 years as auto electrical engineer, Of course we can’t sell perfect cars for cheap prices; therefore our cars are sometimes a little bit more expensive than if you buy from private partie or “mini dealers”. It’s depending on the brand name. A private seller usually don’t fix his car anymore, because he want to get away of it. You get what you pay for. But we have the experience how to fix the cars correctly and if we sell them we make some profit, that’s normally. Nobody works for free, even teachers not. Anyway: Only a new car can be perfect. Used cars can be in good condition, but never perfect.

Only a new car can be perfect ??

I remember a few years back a UK Motoring Group ran a programme to test all ‘new’ cars [normal no test until car is 3yrs old then yearly MOT]

The found that 8 out of every 10 brand new cars would have failed the MOT

Yes now a day cars have 3 – 5 yrs warrantee so it should be that a new car will give you trouble free motoring.

2nd hand you just have no idea of the true history, just yesterday was following the new shape D-Max which was crabbing very bad, a old man was driving, and made me wonder it he had any idea, have seen a few cars and pickups crabbing but this was the 1st new one.. would hate to thing of the tyre wear + what would happened in another accident.

Is there any bodies in Thailand that check accident repairs ? or a legal standard of repairs.

Not every dealer is a crook.

I wouldn't go as far as calling them crooks, but i would say that a lot of dealers make good money from bascially tarting up motors they buy cheap.

Used Car dealer is a business like everything else. For example: In the Supermarket is the Steak cheaper than in the Restaurant, but nobody recomments to not eat in such place. The Restaurant cooks your steak and served to you on the table, that's what you pay for.

Like the steaks in the restauarants, cars in the tents can be hot.

Or another thing: I my self speak 5 languages but i couldn't teach correct English. Therefore we have teachers. The used car business is similar. Every car we buy, from locals mostly, we have to spend at least 20k to fix it, that the car can be driven safely again, without hassles. A private seller usually don't fix his car anymore, because he want to get away of it. You get what you pay for. But we have the experience how to fix the cars correctly and if we sell them we make some profit, that's normally.

If you do spend money actually fixing the cars you sell, that's great. Many used car dealers main or only concern is spending the least amount of money possible to make the car as superficially attractive as possible, and therefore easier to sell at the highest price.

Nobody works for free, even teachers not.

Your continual comparison of used car dealers with teachers is a bit bizarre to me. Why compare yourself with a teacher.

I understand why you are defensive about your line of work though. Used car dealers have a reputation for being masters of bullsh1t, and it's a reputation i think that's well founded, although not without exceptions. From the few dealings i've had with the main sponsor of the motoring forum, i'd say they are one.

It's Honda's global policy not to allow their cars to use as taxi. It's something about them building their "exclusive" image, they won't even allow to use Hondas as limousine service.

I don't know, some Honda fans feel themselves proud because of that, but, on the other hand, maybe they are not as reliable and cheap to run as taxis need to be.

My verdict - second hand Vios, best value for money.

IF it is true, than it is an extremely unflattering policy IMHO !!

First thing that comes to my mind when accesing reliability/quality of a car> Is whether it is infact used as a taxi !!

Just look at all the Mercedes C series in Germany etc.. & since you've mentioned thai airport limos how about BMW 7 series used by them (must make BMW look cheapo :o ) . Skoda Octavias & Hyundai new Sonatas became taxis ONLY after their qualities gotten well known ! I do find it flattering that in Indonesia & Vietnam cabbies gotten to like new VIOS :D .. coz i have one myself ( and may even consider selling, on good offer >> i'm sucker for a new car smell :D unfortunately it wears off after a couple of years )

Edited by asiaworld

• 3 months later...

If you only want a cheap run around and are not concerned with ' gaining face ' then a Nissan Sunny B13 ( old shape )is the way to go. I paid 59,000 for mine from a dealer and it performed better than expected and didn't look like an old rust bucket. I clocked up a fair amount of k's in it both short and long distance including 3 trips to Petchaboon and 5 to Pattaya. Apart from the usual maintenance, oil, plugs, filters, tyres etc , it never let me down once and was happy to cruise along at 95 kph all day. When I upgraded I rashly sold it to a small private dealer for 45,000 but subsequently regretted it as several people afterwards approached me offering sums around the 55,000 mark. A good site to look for cars is www.one2car.com Easy to navigate and plenty of photos.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I can probably only afford about 120,000 at the moment, and I don't want to get into a monthly payment scheme.

I think this is the kind of car that's worth considering.

CF140862.jpg

http://www.thaicar.com/showroom1.asp?GID=5...omer_id=Tent628

Practically bullet proof with regards to reliability , and if anything does go wrong I think Mighty-X repair is part of the national curriculum and cheap as chips.

Cheers

How much are you able to spend to "get it right" after you have bought it? I mean, do you plan to buy a secondhand car at a maximum of 120k and then expect it to run well at a few hundreds of Baths per month in maintenance?

I bought my car at 55k. It's very nice now, but i was very unlucky with it in the beginning; the real price for it, including "getting it right", has rather been 100k+.

I just want to tell you to expect the unexpected... :o

/Hans

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I can probably only afford about 120,000 at the moment, and I don't want to get into a monthly payment scheme.

Old shape mazda 323.. Asian parts pricing, cheap to run, comfy little thing.. 150 - 180 would see the newer 323 also. Much nicer to drive than a NV.

Really at 100 - 120 the pickings are slim, almost better to stump up another 50 to get a lot more reliability and car for the smallish difference. Audi 100's around if you look hard at that higher price but beware of parts pricing. Lot of car in an audi tho.

Also a lot of car = Volvo 244 + 440 + 460, Saab 9000 + the older VW Passat and Vento, lots around for 100- 120..

All the Volvo 244/240/740 I know all have Toyota Engines in them..

120'000 Baht: 244 or 440 Volvos maybe, but 10 year old Saab 9000, Passat or Vento not (I talk about good cars. sure you willo find some Junk for cheaper prices). Passat are more expensive than 2 years ago. Mosthly over 200k now, Ventos arround 140 - 180'k Saab 9000 from 180 until 300'k. But with Saab you can't afford the spare parts. If you don't have much money, buy a car which is not expensive to maintenance. For example a 1989 Honda Accord or a 1993 Mitsu Lancer. 89' Accord you find for about 90 - 110'k. Usally fully loaded, but with plastic seats. If you looking for a 92 model you should consider about 160'k up. but allways you have to prepare another 20 to 30'k for repairs. Check all suspensions, make sure drive shafts are ok, AC, automatic transmission, check for rust, check no blue smoke from the exhoust, there are thousend tips i could give you, but remeber in this price range you don't find a perfect car. Better spend 200'k and buy something better, if you can afford. It's not allways sure that private owned cars are cheaper than in the cars in from a tent dealer. Some "private seller" or "Mini" Dealer" which acting as they are private, checked the market allready and ask you for the same amount as you would pay in a car tent, because they aren't willig to sale their car cheap, otherwise tey would sold it to a tend dealer already.. I personally think it's not worth to look for the cheapest price you can get. More important is the condition. Pay a little more and get a clean car than buy someones troubles.

Suzuki Caribean although not a long distance road car is great for daily city uns, eats floods, reasonably economical and small signature.

Garro, ask around some of the locals they often know where to get reposessed cars from. Most area have a site not too far away. And many Thai people do have their cars taken from them. Has to be worth asking around.

Ever thought of a mini-bus? I know a few older ones [Toyotas] that go for under 120K especially as most customers like to travel in mor modern motors.

• 2 years later...

my firts car in Thailand was a Hyjndai Excel, 12 years old when I bought it @ 170.000 (if my memory serves me righty).

I was amazed how many parts can go south in a car, one by one. After the clutch literally exploded (some parts inside came lose) I had enough, took a calculator and found out that the installments for a brand new Honda Jazz were less than my monthly average repair bill.