Thai Sense Of Humor

aries27

Pure curiousity...what makes the ordinary Thai laugh? What kind of jokes, gestures, situations, etc. tickles the funny bone of Thais?

Am asking this as someone who also comes from a Southeast Asian nation which I know has its peculiar humor. Correct me if I am wrong but compared to the Western humor, I have observed that Asians are more visually entertained or humored (than by stand-up jokes or dry wit?). That they like slapstick, funny or exaggerated gestures and even find some minor physical deformity as something to be laughed at? Sometimes, just having a funny or an "ugly" face can be a passport to being a comedian (never mind if he can't deliver a line)? At least in the PH it happens. Sarcasm is also not easily understood. Am I right?

But I also noted the funny commercials in Thailand, ok BTS/Skytrain variety which really cut across cultures I think. Visually entertaining and intelligent too. But is this the regular, common Thai humor one can also encounters in the farms or off-city areas?

Case in point, my father understands what Jay Leno is saying but he doesn't understand why it is funny.

So just curious if native Thai humor falls in the "Asian category" :D

mods, don't know if I posted in the right forum... was thinking about Farang Pub again but I still have two OPs running there... :o Please move where appropriate! Thanks for all your replies!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ase in point, my father understands what Jay Leno is saying but he doesn't understand why it is funny.

My Thai GF, also never understands Jay Leno's humor...and neither do I for that matter (I am Australian) just not funny IMO. We always laugh more at Conan O'brien....more 'tongue-in-cheek' and edgy humor.

Sarcasm. I love it when used in the right context...she hates it completely.

I think you are right in regards to visual humor. I'll give you an example of a 'visual' joke that my GF couldn't stop laughing at:

Why did the boy fall of his bike?....

Someone threw a microwave at him. :o

Edited by Cavannagh

Most of the humor among the Thais I have worked has been vulgar (relating to sex, sexuality and bodily functions) either directly vulgar jokes and jibes or 'word play' on vulgar topics.

However, another source of jokes and humorous jibs are feau pas drawing on the myriad opportunities to transgress cultural rules.

This and the word play can be quite a sophisticated level of humor.

I also do not much like Mr. Bean, apart from a few selected episodes.

But check out Rowan Atkinson as Black Adder, and you might find him more enjoyable.

But for most locals, it would not be much fun, since it is very difficult to translate this kind of humour.

Benny Hill any idiot can watch, and possibly enjoy, but it is a very low level humour.

My attempts to read Thai aloud go down well.. As do my joking translations, ie Chiang Mai = No Elephants..

As did the time I knocked a beer off the bedside table onto my side of the bed (she refused to swap places...).

Yes you don't need to know any jokes to make Thais laugh. Unless you are well practised in the language, attempts to speak Thai (beyond the usual expressions) will often bring tears of laughter to their eyes.

I hardly find a Thai who has any sense of humour. :D

Among my Thai friends or relatives, they call me ' sen-tuern' ( shallow sense) because I always easily laugh :D at the jokes I heard or cartoons comic I was reading, etc.

But I find it's appalling :o to see them laughing their head off :D:D at someone's misfortune or mis-step like that poor soul steps on banana peel and land on the dog's poop. I never find this tragedy, funny at all.

If the taxi driver or a hired hand laughing at this tragedy, I understand because of their low social class or little education, but these friends are college graduated. I expect them to act better or act more sensible than that.

I've noticed too some pretty primitive humor, like people dressed up as clowns and just doing physical humor, and it's intended for an adult aduience (like those awful shows they run on thai buses). I think it might seem entertaining to Thais and not westerners because westerner's already have a highly stimulative environment, an Isaan farmer living out in the wilds for months on end would be entertained by anything.

But I've noticed too a highly sophisticated, playful wit in Isaan people and in the Khmer, who seem to have more liberal socities than the uptight, conservative Bangkokians (and other East Asians). Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the majority of comedians in thai cinema from Isaan? You ain't gonna find much comic creativity stemming from the hi-so chinese-thais in bkk...

Edited by RY12

My wife gets Aussie humor, she loves Hughesy, Ahn Doh, Will Anderson etc.

I dont get alot of british jokes, Benny Hill was really funny though, that Irish guy Jimoen is not funny at all, he just looks funny and the sound of his voice is funny. His jokes are rubbish

Keystone Cops, Charlie Chaplin and midgets being abused on tv does not require any thought (ideal for most thais). Most Thai people are not capable of understanding cerebal humour.

Case in point look at the drivel on tv its targeted at its viewing audience

I notice that Mr Bean goes down well, a personal pet hate of mine, just dont find it/him funny at all.

You're right, most seem to love it and I think that in itself speak volumes.

I put Seinfeld on of an evening and my Thai missus can understand the English just fine but sits there utterly lost as to why I'm chortling away.

My wife loved Team America. She has also watched 'The Office' (UK version), Little Britain, Black Adder and the National Lampoons movies (Naked Gun, Christmas, European etc Vacation) and loved them all. We will be walking along and she will come out with lines from various films/sitcoms which always cracks me up.

My missus watches Peep Show, The Day Today, 15 Storeys High and the like with me and finds it all very funny, though Brass Eye is a bit weird for her. I guess that she's been to the UK makes a difference and the fact that she's been exposed to more than just what's found on UBC. She still laughs at the slapstick and play on words that typical Thais seem to love too though. In the end laughter is good, for whatever reason, and it's a waste of time and energy to get snobby about comedy. For one person it might be Chris Morris that does it and for another a fat, old katoey being bashed on the head. It's all good.

My wife loves 'Fawlty Towers' - lost track of the number of times she has watched it. Sometimes she even calls me Basil.

RusticCharm & OpenGoal - take a look at America's Funniest Home Videos & all it's offshoots.

These are top rating shows in a lot of western countries so it's not saying much about the superior 'cerebal' humour of westerners.

Personally, I don't think seeing kids fall off pushbikes & people getting hit by <insert fast moving object> is very funny.

It's probably better not to judge a nation's 'sense of humour' by what you see on tv.