Thai Massage

lightstar

I found the info on a web-site

http://www.drbookspan.com/ThaiMassage.html

it's interesting stuff, particularly the info about the front bend.

As a personal trainer, I rarely see a Western client who doesn't have some kind of misalignment issues.

Jai Dee you're so right about Western bodies being different to Thai. We usually have tight hip flexors from sitting down too much, rounded shoulders and tight neck muscles from staring at a computer screen all day... there's so much to consider when creating a workout! And the same considerations should be given by your massuese.

If you think that a massage is just to make you feel good and something that any wee girl from Issan can do after 10 hours 'training' then you have the wrong idea of what massage is about!

To the poster who claimed that massage can't be a profession is bonkers! I know people who have had to do years of study in order to do body work. In fact to be a rolfer, or a stretch therapist you must already have a medical qualification - that's a lot of study, and it's by no means cheap to do these qualifications either!!! I guess thats what seperates the hay from the chaff.

If your masseuse has no training in anatomy and phisiology, and doesn't try to work on these muscle imbalances, anything she does to your body could eventually lead to serious injury.

My tip...?

If you really want a good Thai massage... try to engage the services of the oldest woman in the lineup.

She is most likely to be the most experienced masseuse in the establishment... and also accustomed to the physical limitations that Western bodies have been trained to accept.

We are physically different... accept that... and do not choose the youngest or prettiest masseuse if you really want a good massage as opposed to a "happy ending".

You (and your body) will feel much better if you accept that fact.

And... you will gain great respect amongst the other masseuses if you do so too. They are not stupid... they know who is the "ajarn" (teacher) or most professional and experienced, and will respect your choice of masseuse if you establish your selection criteria. And... they will all observe and take note of your selection criteria, and remember you for it.

You can then return again to the same establishment, secure in the knowledge that your preferences have been noted by everyone... and will be complied with.

Choose a pretty "smile upon completion" masseuse... and you'll get the same treatment next time you go.

Choose the best... and your expectations will be respected and met next time you go.

Up to you...

:o

it's thai traditional massage, developed over many centuries. Anathomy/physiology can help, but it started to be teached only recently - same, as with the other traditional techniques. Still, many older therapists are illiterate, as well as the great part of the blind therapists (considered to be very good ones).

from what I have read masage therapists are working in the fizjo departments in some hospitals.

Big fan of Thai massage. :o Great for minor aches and pains through tiredness.

If I have anything remotely serious I would stay away from Thai massage, while I got real medical atention, and wouldn't even go near my regular Thai massage until it is better. No guarantee on quality consistency, nor of adequate full medical understanding. Even if you're lucky enough to get a Thai massage expert, the body and its healing mechanisms are much more interconnected than can be taught in your average few weeks massage training.

Anything remotely out of the ordinary aches and pains, I'd much rather see an osteopath or a chiropracter. They will have real medical training and certificates to prove. You can also formally check their backgrounds and reputations as individuals. Very difficult to formally track "K.Lek" back to anything meaningful. How many Thais do you even know the full name of? Without getting into authenticity of records.

Thai Massages are great. Anything serious though see a chiro/osteopath and pay THB 1,000 - 1,500 in Thailand, if you don't want to see a traditional doctor who'll just x-ray and prescribe pills. Probably won't look as nice as your Thai masseuse, but well worth it and safer, as well as very effective. :D

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit late to the party but thought I would a few thoughts.

Absolutely agree that one should take care who is twisting your spine. People who have not had this before can be taken by surprise and instinctively resist. The trick is to relax like a rag doll. Not every style does this, such as the blind masseurs and I now say 'No', as a result of being made aware of the risks. Since I practice yoga I can release the spine through stretching. I am also a fan of osteopathy for this.

Isn't it fair to say that charges laid against inexperienced thai masseurs can also be laid against most physical therapies? If I exercise too hard I can injure myself. If I bang my leg against a chair or my spouse kicks me in the rear or I fall down or am wrestling with my 7 year old, why doesn't this dislodge cholesterol or plaque sticking to an artery or vein and cause an embolism or stroke?

Just how likely is the risk of injury from stopping and starting blood flow or pressing firmly along the length of major arteries? Where are the daily headlines which surely would occur in the event of all these deaths from westerners whose arteries are clogged from their poor diet? It would seem like the risk is more theoretical than actual.

And yet what about angioplasty? I have read it causes strokes and/or death, while on the operating table, as dislodged plaque or debris hits the brain. What is the difference between debris from angioplasty and debris from massage? I don't know.

I once experienced 6 weeks of therapeutic oil massage which definitely improved blood flow to my feet. Normally cold, they became scrummy and warm. Part of the massage was firm pressure on the major leg arteries.

Massage doesn't just address the physical. It also affects 'energetic' (meridian) and/or emotional blockages. Some westerners have never been touched before and can burst into tears when an emotional hurt 'lodged' in the body is 'released'. Physical therapists have written about this.

One shouldn't 'throw the baby out with the bath water', otherwise you are missing out on what I enjoy the most. Human touch, relaxation brought to tired or tense muscles and the mind and other subtle benefits. Stirring up the sludge in the body and detoxing is another benefit, provided you drink enough water and eliminate the stirred up toxins.

Wat Po IMO is very poor. One hour isn't enough, the girls talk, instead of focus and seem indifferent since the customers are just passing trade, unlikely to return. Elsewhere, I usually go for a minimum of two hours and ask for the teacher or best masseuse. Why would anyone want a 'special', which to me is loveless, mechanical, sordid and far less satisfying than the complete act?

I like 'strong' although it can cause pain when tendons are already inflamed, I have the idea stronger means deeper, therefore more thorough and I feel that getting deep into the muscle is beneficial. Pain is not necessarily being induced by the masseuse, pain may already be present in the body but the body has adapted to it. We don't feel it until someone hits the spot, then we blame the masseur instead of being grateful that they have highlighted a problem.

I agree the twisting of the spine can be risky and perhaps customers who are inflexible or fearful should avoid this. I have rarely heard of any permanent injury. The problem with any of these kinds of therapies is that when someone is hurt it's splashed over every paper and media outlet unlike hundreds of thousands of orthodox injuries that are ignored or under-reported. This obviously gives a slewed impression. Isn't freeing partly-fused vertebra a good thing? Isn't that what Chiros do when they whack you in the spine with a lump of wood? How else would you free 'fused' vertebra?

Yoga has been slated. It is ridiculous to take someone who weighs 300 lbs and ask them to stand on their head. 'Comfortable capacity' is all that is necessary and Yoga teachers who don't stress this should be avoided. As should the competitive urge to do it because everyone else can. Or out of a desire not be embarrassed or self-conscious. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.

If you have pre-existing conditions or injuries you must inform the therapist. In many cases if you explain a problem they will assign someone who can address it or avoid the area.

Reading the OPs post, I had to laugh.

It reminded me so much about last time, which will be the last massage I ever have in Thailand.

2-3 years ago.

Went to a massage place downtown BKK.

Got dressed in the funny PJ's, and then in to the stall (or is it a booth??).

Then the little old lady starts to do more or less what the OP stated in his post.

I suddenly notice some guy further down the corridor start to moan. This was the type of painful moaning.

His voice getting louder and louder. Clearly in pain.

The lady "doing" me, now has me turned over.

She stand with one foot one my spine, while grabbing my right arm and left leg. Pulling the extremities upwards in order to make them meet.

The pain I feel is unbelievable. I start to cry out in pain.

The spine is cracking, feels like my arm is about to be ripped off my body.

I wonder how in Gods name it is possible for such a tiny little old woman to inflict so much pain on my body.

2 voices are now heard in the corridor. Both I and this other guy down the corridor almost screaming of pain.

Its a bizarre situation really.

Here we are, 2 guys that willingly do this, and even pay for it.

I start to laugh, and the cry out in pain again, and laugh again.

Finally it is over.

When I pay and leave, I have the biggest smile on my face.

I smile and I am happy, because I am still able to walk on my own feet.

I chuckled all the way through the first part of the OP's message.

I've had two Thai massages in five years, one of them at famed Wat Po in BKK, and they were the worst painful experiences ever.

"It doesn't seem to address relaxing the mind in any way. Switching off and entering a deep state of relaxation isn't the aim of it in the same way that Western traditional massages do." Yeah, no $hit, Sherlock! With Thai massages, I spend the whole time on the stressful edge of wondering if the next pull or applied pressure is going to break something or stretch something else so far it will never be the same again....I'm an emotional basket case by the end of the treatment.

I know Thai massage is world-renowned. It's me--I just don't get it.

I totally second this post.

The last time I had a Thai massage was 1999! She squeezed my skull. I kid not. I had a headache for the following 36 hours.

Edited by Briggsy

I have had one full on Thai massage.

Was before a flite from Don Muang, about 4 years ago.

The idea was to be relaxed for 12 hour flite home to AKL.

OMG, I was so sore I could NOT get comfortable all the way home.

NEVA AGAIN.

I am an addict and love Thai Massage. I have 4 discs in total (2 lumbar, 2 cervical) that are not the best. These can make my muscels go ape. I leave the discs alone. So it does benefit me tons. I don't do the strong arm stuff, I don't go for the finger thing nor the neck click. (Who goes for the neck twist?? Any idea if it is bad for your cervical discs?).

I often got asked if I wanted "anything else". No thanks! I have 2 really excellent ladies in late 30's early 40's ..1 in Bangkok near the Davis and 1 near Chalong Circle..... who know what they are doing and know what I like. There are enough messers and "extra" ladies out there to give Thai Massaga a bad name.

I have had one full on Thai massage.

Was before a flite from Don Muang, about 4 years ago.

The idea was to be relaxed for 12 hour flite home to AKL.

OMG, I was so sore I could NOT get comfortable all the way home.

NEVA AGAIN.

12 hour flight after an hour of torture.??.....Geez Zpete makes me squirm!

Makes me sure glad I never took up the option of a massage at the old airport...blink.gif .....Do you know the story at Suvarnabhumi airport??

After many Thai Massages at many different places I FEEL that I can pass this on:

There are some guys that go for a HAPPY ending massage and others that go for the Thai Traditional MASSAGE. I go for the Traditional. When first trying out a new massage communicate exactly what you want. I prefer a Traditonal, 2hr, medium strength massage, NO SEX. Sometimes I go for an oil massage also. I can tell right away what level of training they have had.

Sometimes the sex masseuses will want to ply thier trade no matter what kind of massage you want. When they figure out you really are there to get a therapeutic massage they will try to hurt you so that you will leave early. They then can get on with the next customer who may pay out more with a HAPPY ending.

So my advice to get a real massage is to communicate with a real tradional masseuse who may have a diploma, she probally has 15+ years experience. Tell them strong, medium, or soft massage. It should be an enjoyable experience with little or no pain. The pressure points they will focus on and not too much cracking of the joints. If you have unwanted pain tell them "meow jep".

Two hours tradional with one hour oil should put you in a state of bliss. You should walk out of massage with increased circulation and feeling great.

:o