Move To Thailand

Thaicoon

I touched firstly on income because it's a key ingredient, not necessarily the most important I agree, of any lifestyle.I mentioned a number of other criteria and fully conceded Thailand's superiority in cuisine and weather.So in a genuine spirit of enquiry, I would like to know exactly what you mean by miserable British standards.

Why would you be interested in the views of a 'maladjusted Brit expat ' who is probably an 'unsuccessful disfunctional loser' ?

Don't be so defensive.Just explain what you mean.

I touched firstly on income because it's a key ingredient, not necessarily the most important I agree, of any lifestyle.I mentioned a number of other criteria and fully conceded Thailand's superiority in cuisine and weather.So in a genuine spirit of enquiry, I would like to know exactly what you mean by miserable British standards.

Why would you be interested in the views of a 'maladjusted Brit expat ' who is probably an 'unsuccessful disfunctional loser' ?

Don't be so defensive.Just explain what you mean.

Oh well, as you asked so nicely..........

How can you be spending more here than in the UK.

Yes, electronics can cost more, but not by a huge amount. (except, oddly, plasma TVs are ridiculous here).

But if I go shopping in Tesco in the UK, I'm lucky if I have change from £80 (a little over 5,000 baht) if I have a trolley of groceries. - Here, I'd be shocked if I reached 2,000 baht. And I buy groceries a lot more often than I buy DVD players or computers.

The only major expense here, that is a LOT more expensive, is imported cars. - But you can buy locally built cars (like a Honda Jazz, or a Mitsubishi G-Wagon) for less than in the UK (I'll admit the Shogun Sport isn't exactly the same as a G-Wagon, but it is £6K more in the UK, so that makes up for the leaf springs in the rear suspension), so that's a matter of choosing to pay the 65% import duty.

But, once you start looking at the price of property, or services like haircuts, or having a live-in maid. There is no comparison at all with the UK. A cleaner coming 3 hours a week in the UK costs about the same as a live-in maid here, and the last time I had a haircut in the UK for what I pay in a hairdressers here, was more than 20 years ago. Yes, you can pay the same for a house here as in the UK (I did) - but the house you get isn't exactly the same size.

On the downside, there are a few things you have to get here, that you don't in the UK. - Air conditioners, for instance, and the accompanying electricity bills. But on the other hand, I don't have any heating bills on the up-side. (and my electricity bills for the year are still less than a council tax bill in the UK).

Yes, electronics can cost more, but not by a huge amount. (except, oddly, plasma TVs are ridiculous here).

But if I go shopping in Tesco in the UK, I'm lucky if I have change from £80 (a little over 5,000 baht) if I have a trolley of groceries. - Here, I'd be shocked if I reached 2,000 baht. And I buy groceries a lot more often than I buy DVD players or computers.

The only major expense here, that is a LOT more expensive, is imported cars. - But you can buy locally built cars (like a Honda Jazz, or a Mitsubishi G-Wagon) for less than in the UK (I'll admit the Shogun Sport isn't exactly the same as a G-Wagon, but it is £6K more in the UK, so that makes up for the leaf springs in the rear suspension), so that's a matter of choosing to pay the 65% import duty.

But, once you start looking at the price of property, or services like haircuts, or having a live-in maid. There is no comparison at all with the UK. A cleaner coming 3 hours a week in the UK costs about the same as a live-in maid here, and the last time I had a haircut in the UK for what I pay in a hairdressers here, was more than 20 years ago. Yes, you can pay the same for a house here as in the UK (I did) - but the house you get isn't exactly the same size.

On the downside, there are a few things you have to get here, that you don't in the UK. - Air conditioners, for instance, and the accompanying electricity bills. But on the other hand, I don't have any heating bills on the up-side. (and my electricity bills for the year are still less than a council tax bill in the UK).

Mike,

Agree what you have said, cost of living far more cheaper in Thailand, and the cost of motors in thailand is far less than the uk, i bought an isuzu, fully loaded for 720,000 baht, i took all the details of this to a local dealer in the uk, he quoted me £23,000 , the basic car was £16,000 and the rest was the extras and vat, and it costs me about 900 baht to fill it up, in Uk it would cost £70, and fuel has gone up again this week, rip off britain.

Mike,

Agree what you have said, cost of living far more cheaper in Thailand, and the cost of motors in thailand is far less than the uk, i bought an isuzu, fully loaded for 720,000 baht, i took all the details of this to a local dealer in the uk, he quoted me £23,000 , the basic car was £16,000 and the rest was the extras and vat, and it costs me about 900 baht to fill it up, in Uk it would cost £70, and fuel has gone up again this week, rip off britain.

There are exceptions-generally at the lower end, and I have little doubt the Isuzu one you cite is correct, but generally speaking there is no doubt at all that most cars - or "motors" as you describe them - are much much cheaper in the UK than Thailand because of the high duty here.

But overall of course Thailand cost of living is considerably lower, I would estimate about 40% even with a lifestyle requiring a sizeable imported input.

Other than housing costs, labour, and Thai food, I can't think of a lot more that's cheaper in Thailand. Busses and taxis, I suppose... But most everything else seems to be about the same, or even more expensive than what I remember in the States. My monthly expenses are pretty much the same as then...

There are exceptions-generally at the lower end, and I have little doubt the Isuzu one you cite is correct, but generally speaking there is no doubt at all that most cars - or "motors" as you describe them - are much much cheaper in the UK than Thailand because of the high duty here.

But overall of course Thailand cost of living is considerably lower, I would estimate about 40% even with a lifestyle requiring a sizeable imported input.

But of course the Thai govt is negotiating a free trade agreement(FTA) with the US and with Japan. Its already completed one with Australia. It is possible that this will reduce the unbelievably high taxes on autos(appx 200%), I'm not sure. An Aussie on a post a few months back claimed that import duties/taxes on Aussie cars came down by a large % due to the FTA between Australia and Thailand.

I'm hoping that this will bring US/Japanese car model prices down a bit.

:o

Think about what you are going to do with your time.

Retirement at 40 sounds fine at first, but it is easy to get stir crazy here.

A little contract work overseas helps the budget, and gives a change of scenery.

A good international school here may be less stressful than boarding school 5000 miles away.

Edited by astral

Other than housing costs, labour, and Thai food, I can't think of a lot more that's cheaper in Thailand. Busses and taxis, I suppose... But most everything else seems to be about the same, or even more expensive than what I remember in the States. My monthly expenses are pretty much the same as then...

The cost of living in the States is generally quite a bit lower than that of the UK, though. :o

:D Reading some of these posts makes me angry. some of the so called ex-pats from the Uk, revile the country that gave them so much. all through their youth, they recieved an education, free health care, one of the best safety nets in the world should things go wrong.

After their university education, when they are all qualified to put something back. they decide the country of their birth is no good and come to places like this.

They decry the goverments of the day, but never vote, and when things go drastically wrong, they go running back to the safety of the uk.

They may recognise themselves in this post. :o

Oh this one made me LAUGH! :o I do not know where you were brought up in the UK and sheltered from the realities. I did not see many graduating to Uni form my massive council estate in New Addington Surrey... in fact none that I know of... The "education" was abismal and I had to educate myself around the age of 24. Yes, I learned then how to read and write my own language... and althogh my vocab is adaquate, my spelling is still atroshus :D And not because I am thick, my IQ according to MENSA is 142.

Get REAL my friend.

I also came from a council estate although not from such a prosperous part of the country as Surrey, and I graduated with honours from Cambridge.I think it is admirable that you have educated yourself and you should (although no evidence is displayed) be proud of this if true.But what went wrong with your schooling given your high IQ and presumably good motivation? Do you blame your teachers,your parents, your schoolmates or your so-called deprived socio-economic background.I think we can assume from your self-pitying tone that you would not blame yourself. The more I hear on this forum from disgruntled UK expats-and Simbo is of course completely correct in his assesment- the more I realise the appalling destructiveness of a certain kind of British proletarian culture.

OK enough of politeness.There are thousands of poor Thai kids out there who would have given anything for the chances you had and apparently squandered.I think it is you and your self-pitying whining kind that are sheltered fom the realities.

:D  Reading some of these posts makes me angry. some of the so called ex-pats from the Uk, revile the country that gave them so much. all through their youth, they recieved an education, free health care, one of the best safety nets in the world should things go wrong.

After their university education, when they are all qualified to put something back. they decide the country of their birth is no good and come to places like this.

They decry the goverments of the day, but never vote, and when things go drastically wrong, they go running back to the safety of the uk.

Actually - I agree with a lot of what you say. - I had a pretty good, free education, went to University, etc.

And I was perfectly happy in the UK until they changed the tax rules (IR35). - Where I would be ineligible for unemployment benefit if I lost my contract (because I wasn't an employee for benefits purposes), while having to pay £10K a year in employee and employer NI contributions (because I was an employee for NI purposes).

How would you like to have tax rules change so that your income drops by 25%, and it's announced 4 months after you take out a mortgage on a new house and your 2nd child has been born.

What's more, my father-in-law (in Thailand) became ill - so I asked the boss if they'd let me telecommute - and they did (and being out of the country got me out of IR35).

I have not regretted leaving.

When you have your own Business employing people, paying a stamp for yourself, think about this one simbo, were you working for somebody else?, if i got sick or finished work tomorrow i would not be able to claim jack shit off the Government, that is because i am self employed, then you get all these <deleted> around checking if you are doing things right, they know f all, but they will retire on a government pension when 50-55, car provided for them when they are working and then find another job in another government apartment and get another pension for that, it stinks, no wonder people want to leave this shithole, what i have got i have worked for, damm hard, i think i will have a lot better life in Thailand, if i am sensible.

Also no way would i send my daughter to a public school over in the uk, as far as i am concerned somebody wants to teach some of the teachers first, and what bkok mike has said i totally agree about tax etc.

:o well. firstly, it was your choice to be selfemployed with all the benefits that entails. Secondly, your income was probably much higher than a PAYE worker, or else you would not have done it. You had a good accountant, of course. Even with all the down sides, you were still much better off than Mr average, hence sending your offspring to private school in the uk. For all your gripes about the uk, you canstill afford to retire here as a young-ish man.

Many of us worked all our lives as PAYE workers for a pittance compered to what you probably have earned. My self, 44 years of it has qualified me for my pension, and I paid my dues without any tax fiddles?

In proportion, I have probably paid more than you. Think yourself lucky to have this opportunity to start anew.

Howzat! :D:D

I live in America....

So to say much about the UK I have little right. But if it is any way like America,

Simbo needs to put the crack pipe down if he thinks he has paid more in Taxes than that of a business owner. I have the fortune to be both self in employed and employed by another source than I.

I am here to say I pay taxes out of every orfice I have. I too look forward to the day I can hang it up in Thailand. Sure I may get to retire early, but to say I havn't paid my dues or paid my taxes is a huge joke. We here in America also reward those that don't work, wont work and don't save. We also reward those that don't even come into America legally.

I guess it is only fair, we stole this land from the Indians, it might as well get stolen by others.... The crazy thing is, we did it to ourselves.

Audios... (Have to learn my another mother tongue)

:D  Reading some of these posts makes me angry. some of the so called ex-pats from the Uk, revile the country that gave them so much. all through their youth, they recieved an education, free health care, one of the best safety nets in the world should things go wrong.

Oh this one made me LAUGH! :D I do not know where you were brought up in the UK and sheltered from the realities.

Get REAL my friend.

Hah! It gave me a laugh too.

I started a long list about the poor state of the healthcare, education, public services......but I ended up smiling so much (about leaving it behind) that I couldn't continue.

Either the poster hasn't been to the homeland in the past 5 years, or they have some amazingly rose-tinted spectacles about the state of things there. Or perhaps they were one of those people who live off government handouts, so they can sit around their council house, watching sky-tv before going down the dole office.

Anyway, this thread is drifting off-topic, so I'm not going to carry-on with it further. But thank you for the laugh, Alf Garnet.

:o In reply to your elequent posts. I have and never would knock a self made man. I was in business myself, but failed. As for sponging off the S S, I have never had a penny off them in my life. as for my pension, I do not qualify as yet, but have a company pension, for which I paid for. I worked hard all my life and had a good life style. I prepared for the day I could stop work. I now enjoy the benefits and when I'm 65, will qualify for the pension I paid 44 years for.

Of course, I was just one of the silent majority, beavering away, while others lived off our backs. I'm refering to layabouts as well, if you get my drift.

I do enjoy the banter though, one of the things I miss about my local :D

When you have your own Business employing people, paying a stamp for yourself, think about this one simbo, were you working for somebody else?, if i got sick or finished work tomorrow i would not be able to claim jack shit off the Government, that is because i am self employed, then you get all these <deleted> around checking if you are doing things right, they know f all, but they will retire on a government pension when 50-55, car provided for them when they are working and then find another job in another government apartment and get another pension for that, it stinks, no wonder people want to leave this shithole, what i have got i have worked for, damm hard, i think i will have a lot better life in Thailand, if i am sensible.

Also no way would i send my daughter to a public school over in the uk, as far as i am concerned somebody wants to teach some of the teachers first, and what bkok mike has said i totally agree about tax etc.

Reading this illiterate post , I begin to question my faith in the British educational system but perhaps it just another example of the brutalised proletariat in full cry.Anyway once more with feeling...half-educated whining losers in the UK(or US or Australia) are going to be half-educated whining losers in Thailand.The compensation for these types is I suppose cheap sex and beer, but nothing really changes.

At 40 it is simple. You need enough to insure you can get back into life back home

at the bare minimum. If you can survive on 800Lbs a month until you get your life in order again back home that should be the bottom line for you to start a new life somewhere else. No matter how much money you have you will not get the same as where you are coming from, it is not available in Isaan ( Burriram).

You can live good on whatever you decide is your bottom line for back home in Isaan. You don't even need a vehicle other than moped for life in Isaan, but you will have plenty enough to have one if you have a stable income of the minimum

bare essentials of back home. You will have a nice house decent food and a bit extra to take the once every 3 or 4 months trip to the beach for a 4 day weekend.

You seem to be family oriented with the fact that you mention boarding school for the children. The youngest child will not be a problem for a few years up the road

so just add school fees onto the minimum amount of back home to survive and

you should be ok. Example would be (the locals could guide you on this a bit better

but for decent living in Isaan for western family) 150Lbs for house (3 bdr with electric paid)., vehicle 100lbs a month that includes fuel and extra's over time.

200Lbs for other living expense and essentials. You will need at least 100Lbs over this just for the sake of you are from the western civilization.

What you are going to do with all the time on your hands could be a costly disfuctional situation but should only effect your mental stability.

Ajarn I guess has done well for himself in Thailand from reading his post but not knowing, I would say Ajarn never was much of anything back home before he left for adventures of Thailand so he has nothing to base his claims to compare the two. This said, he is wise at how to be successful and happy in Thailand.

Myself as being a working single person I live on less than $500 a month and I paid cash for a vehicle which is also is the company vehicle which we put about 3000 Km a year on it. I figure in a few years when I retire at 50 I need about a million U.S. dollars to be happy and never look back or have the pressure of monetairy needs. My wants are of course to be rewarded for 30+ years of hard work and have the ability to live most anywhere at will with decent medical insurance (which by the way is not cheap for americans). How I have lived at work for several years is not the least bit important to me, it is my after work life that means so much to me ( you may not have this giving it up at 40).

So if you feel the need at 40 and a family man to put your families future on the line go for it but just be advised to use the bare minimum for back home rule to get started encase you find out it is really not what you wanted after all. I have rasied a couple very young children on my own living in foreign countries, but done it on above average wages. Anything is possible it is all on what you can adapt to that will be the end results. Some families can have a happy life with little, some can't and you will not know untill you try it. Good Luck

Ajarn I guess has done well for himself in Thailand from reading his post but not knowing, I

would say Ajarn never was much of anything back home before he left for adventures of Thailand

so he has nothing to base his claims to compare the two. This said, he is wise at how to be

successful and happy in Thailand.

Well, I was a public school teacher in California who also taught summer courses at Stanford. My take-home salary was about 40,000 per annum, of which I was able to save maybe 20%. My lifestyle has always been simple- but never a Pauper's life...Had a van, motorcycle, house in Marin county...

Anyway, like I said, my expenses now are aproximately the same as then, but for the first 15 years here, I lived much more frugaly, often below 25,000 baht per month. My first fulltime teaching job here paid 6,023 baht salary + 2,000 housing allowance.

Not drinking alcohol and not availing myself much of 'nighttime entertainment' made it much easier to live within a limited budget.

Trying to nail down any accurate figure for the cost of 'comfortable' living here is pretty futile, I think. Some 'couldn't ' survive on 100,000 a month, yet many are relatively comfortable on 20,000 or less....Apples and oranges...

Number one priority, in my mind, is to cover one's butt. Figure a worse case scenario, and have a plan for it. Lots of surprises in store for any newbie, so it's best to take care... :o

Ajarn I guess has done well for himself in Thailand from reading his post but not knowing, I

would say Ajarn never was much of anything back home before he left for adventures of Thailand

so he has nothing to base his claims to compare the two. This said, he is wise at how to be

successful and happy in Thailand.

Well, I was a public school teacher in California who also taught summer courses at Stanford. My take-home salary was about 40,000 per annum, of which I was able to save maybe 20%. My lifestyle has always been simple- but never a Pauper's life...Had a van, motorcycle, house in Marin county...

Anyway, like I said, my expenses now are aproximately the same as then, but for the first 15 years here, I lived much more frugaly, often below 25,000 baht per month. My first fulltime teaching job here paid 6,023 baht salary + 2,000 housing allowance.

Not drinking alcohol and not availing myself much of 'nighttime entertainment' made it much easier to live within a limited budget.

Trying to nail down any accurate figure for the cost of 'comfortable' living here is pretty futile, I think. Some 'couldn't ' survive on 100,000 a month, yet many are relatively comfortable on 20,000 or less....Apples and oranges...

Number one priority, in my mind, is to cover one's butt. Figure a worse case scenario, and have a plan for it. Lots of surprises in store for any newbie, so it's best to take care... :o

Sorry, thought I had read you posted you have been in Thailand since early 20's.

You are one of the few I heard of that have been successful in the teaching industry. I have met very few foreigners that was not on an expat gig that ended up being a success in business in Thailand and really none in the teaching field.

It is nice to see an honest success story and you didn't do it in the flesh trade or

taking advantage of other foreigners. I haven't even lived their yet and have had a couple bad deals from foreigners.

I have a court case next month on one conman

and had one of these investment companies who made themselves look like the guru's of stockmarket investing that lost $40K of 45K on mutual funds in 4 years.

I couldn't do that if I tried. Anyone anymore that tells they can make money with my money needs to go **** themselves. These are the types that end up in the de facto situations most of the time. Well Good on Ya Ajarn and maybe this guy with the family may do good in his future, you have proven it just takes the right

attitude and ethics to accomplish such feats.

I think many might be surprised how many farang teachers, and others, have been working and living here for decades...Most that I know have families and lead quiet lives, blending for the most part into their academic/work worlds. You're not likely to see them much around tourist spots, either...