Peak Oil And Renewable Energy Resources

bkk76

Hi everybody,

I m keen on topics like "peak oil" , "oil depletion" , "renewable energy" and anything related and I would like to find a forum where discuss about it (in english) with Thai people or anyway with people living in Thailand. Does somebody here have the same interest? Do you know where I can find such kind of forum/group?

Also I m interested at find informations about this specific of Thailand (oil consumption, rules, law about self producted energy, etc etc)

Thank you for help.

Bye

David :o

Hi everybody,

I m keen on topics like "peak oil" , "oil depletion" , "renewable energy" and anything related and I would like to find a forum where discuss about it (in english) with Thai people or anyway with people living in Thailand. Does somebody here have the same interest? Do you know where I can find such kind of forum/group?

Also I m interested at find informations about this specific of Thailand (oil consumption, rules, law about self producted energy, etc etc)

Thank you for help.

Bye

David :o

Hey Bkk 76 , AKA DAvid

I too am quite interested ion this subject. I would like to get something going to supply, going to be a boom business. There is alot of advance in solar and wind is already reliable.

Americans with larger companies have the Amicus Treaty, and can own land outright but must have 25 m USD Op. Cap. and Inc. within USA.

( though would bear checking to see if current admin will honor and/or treaty signatories updated. )

ALSO set up a place somewhere in SE Asia a communal effort IN A SAFE HOME/ Village situation

This region will continue with rainfall I think, and seems ideal for small scale agriculture. I understand the potato is doing very well here!

I"m not sure Thailand is the country for such an endeavor, Cambodia might be better but have no informed /set opinion.

Malaysia is another option, and it has the best to offer visa wise.

I'm thinking climate change.

I'm thinking Time to be going back to the Garden,

as I think the time is coming where this will be the only investment worth making, ethically.

I'm thinking climate change.

I'm thinking Time to be going back to the Garden

I grow my own bananas, coconuts, chili, basil and a few other things.

I'm hoping this thread won't turn into another climate change thread. :o

Palang Thai, which you can visit here has details about net metering in Thailand, as well as other information on renewable energy. To be honest, I've not see much about peak oil directly related to Thailand (other than very occasional pieces at Energy Bulletin or Peak Oil). There are a couple of contibutors at the Peak Oil forum who live in Asia but as far as I know, none are Thai. You could always post in their Asia forum. I wouldn’t expect too much from Thaivisa; as you can see from the post above, most of the contributors to this forum are to ecological issues what the mediaeval church was to scientific research.

Yeah the Brazil Offshore Zone is booming. The Semi-Sub (Sedco 706) I was on last year deployed there (following a refit in Singapore) early this year for wildcat drilling. :D

Sounds like they struck oil alright!

Boom times ahoy boys and girls :o

Good that the "peak oil" stimulates debate and ideas. Personally think it's exaggerated.. New oil fields and a lot more potential for more in Brazil. Sand oil. Shale oil etc

Brazil Oil Finds May End Reliance on Middle East, Zeihan Says

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...refer=exclusive

Big OIL is going not going to disappear in our lifetime, the industry has never been so busy.

Who iniatiated the "Gasohol" fiasco ?? that was clever, :o

Edited by deckx

• 2 weeks later...

It is not worth the effort to talk about "peak oil" as so few have actually read and understand where Hubbert was coming from and what his bell curve represents. Too many people assume that every time a new oil field is discovered that it somehow negates Hubbert's thesis even though Hubbert assumes that there would be new oil field discoveries.

It is akin to attempts to talk about global warming to those who still are unable to differentiate between "weather" and "climate", simply not worth the effort.

It is not worth the effort to talk about "peak oil" as so few have actually read and understand where Hubbert was coming from and what his bell curve represents. Too many people assume that every time a new oil field is discovered that it somehow negates Hubbert's thesis even though Hubbert assumes that there would be new oil field discoveries.

It is akin to attempts to talk about global warming to those who still are unable to differentiate between "weather" and "climate", simply not worth the effort.

Ah, but you can bet your bottom dollar, (or should that be barrel of Brent crude?), that the "oil is coming out of ears in Brazil" and "it's boom time" boys will chirp up at the slightest squeak about "Peak Oil" and tell us there's nothing to worry about and cheap oil on tap will be around forever. So, maybe, there is worth on expounding Hubbert's thesis for the "boys from the black stuff" industry.

By the way, for those of you Brits living in Thailand, today I saw diesel selling at 1.25 GBP per litre, and I don't expect it'll fall below that psychological one quid barrier ever again. Loadsa cheap oil!! :o

Glad to see a positive thread on this issue, the other one that is running is just full of doom and gloom, what ever the future is, it will be bright, we will find a way, we always have, and we always will.

Chodee :o

I think the problem with the other thread was that it broke down in an argument over whether or not oil will run out. As the Op for that thread, I titled it "Peak Oil: How will Thailand Cope", however only a few ppl came forward with ideas. With oil once again hitting record highs, maybe more ppl will consider the possibility of peak oil.

One poster has said he feels it's exaggerated, maybe he's correct. However it's important to start planning for the possibility, looking for renewables and alternative ways of doing things. This will make the landing softer, because you'd have to be insane to think we can go on increasing consumption of resources.

On the positive note I feel Thailand has fertile soil, plentiful water (in most parts) and a strong agriculture sector. However they must start too move towards more sustainable practices. Money is tight here, so ppl are moving quickly to more economical vehicles, gas conversions are common and it's rare to see an 8 cylinder engine. I've been told some farmers are switching back to buffaloes. Many traditional ways of doing things are still alive, although often only used by the old, it wouldn't be that difficult to revive them.

Of course the country can't simply go back to old ways, new technologies will play a big part, Thailand has plenty of sun which is good for solar. Although it's naive to think we'll all be living the good life with solar electricity and hydro cars. As high oil prices increase costs across the board, they, it will make economic sense for Thailand to switch to alternatives, not just for oil but also for construction and other materials etc. This will help for a softer landing.

The big question will be economic and the resulting political instability. Rich countries will push the burden onto poorer ones, elite Thais will pass it along to rural ppl. In any crisis outsiders are often blamed. This is what happened in the '97 crash. Since then nationalism has been on the rise.

There are many alternatives available to us. The internet is connecting ppl all round the world, sharing ideas, new technologies and research. Farang can make a contribution to Thailand here, especially those living in rural areas. This will help them become appreciated members of the community. These days I look at everything I do in terms of resources used and think of ways it can be improved. One big thing I notice is how necessary ppl find air con, even myself. I lived in an Bangkok house for 5 yrs with no air con. April was hel_l, but I survived.

Now I've moved and we installed an AC, we sleep with it almost every night, which isn't good. What I really notice here is how bad house design has become, with some ppl (especially farang) planning houses that will use AC in almost every room most of the day.