Thai Drivers Licence In Samui

Hi ,

I want to get a thai drivers licence and am based in samui. I have a full UK licence (photo licence) a work permit and a thai company registered in samui.

I have searched the forum already and am getting varying reports. Has anyone done it recently? Do you actually need to get there at 9am and do the tests etc? or will they just swap the licence over? It seems different people have different experiences.

I know this probably comes up all the time but just wanted to know what the latest situation is.

Also, does a work permit count as proof of residence or will i still need to get a letter from immigration?

thanks.

Hi ,

I want to get a thai drivers licence and am based in samui. I have a full UK licence (photo licence) a work permit and a thai company registered in samui.

I have searched the forum already and am getting varying reports. Has anyone done it recently? Do you actually need to get there at 9am and do the tests etc? or will they just swap the licence over? It seems different people have different experiences.

I know this probably comes up all the time but just wanted to know what the latest situation is.

Also, does a work permit count as proof of residence or will i still need to get a letter from immigration?

thanks.

Immigration letter is a must and so is the test, even though you have a valid license....

Hi ,

thanks.

Yes and if I remember correctly, you need a "Health-Certificate" as well, any Doc will issue one!

You ONLY have to hold a Thai-Driving License if you stay LONGER then 180 days in the country!

I heard from some friends,that now they require you to undergo another medical 3 months after getting the licence,with a variety of tests eg... blood & urine tests.

Why? Beats me, unless they want to find out if you are taking any prohibited substances.

Now I only heard that, something could have gone astray in the translation.

I............ variety of tests eg... blood & urine tests.

Why? Beats me, unless they want to find out if you are taking any prohibited substances.

Ever heard about a Eye test, Vision Check? :D

The Doc doing my "Health certificate" in a well known Samui Hospital, did ask me: "Are you feeling well?" Looked at me and asked if I where drinking... a nurse checked my blood pressure, weighed me and told me, with a big smile: "You are fit!" :o

I wonder what happens if one comes up with something serious!? :D

Renewed one of my licenses this week.

Got the new kind, not the one that looks like library card.

Medical examination must be done.

Pages 1-6 and page with last stamp on WP, works fine.

You don't have to go to immigration.

For the motorbike license I took two years ago I had yo take the test because I did not have it before.

The car I took last year, I only took photocopy of my license (both sides) and did not take any test.

How many people driving on these Roads would you predict actually have a valid Thai Driving Licence ???

I'll get the ball rolling with a guess of under 20%.. :o

Well funny you say that, I showed my licence a few times for ID & some people just looked at it not knowing what it was.

I don't know about that Rooo, but a friend of mine had to do the medical again for the 5 year renewal.

As I said SBK a bit was lost in translation, they are not English speaking.They renewd their licencec for the 5 year one,but also applied for a bike licence.I will find out more.

Work Permit, copies of all pages that have entries on them, and no need to go to immigration.

Medical also needed for both 1 year and 5 year renewal.

Getting there early is necessary, but I didn't need to do any tests at all as they just issued my Thai licnces form my Australian one.

Photo sizes are 1 inch, not your normal passport size. Good Luck.

I have a "friend" who keeps meaning to get one.... :o:D

What happens if you are on a retirement visa I.e. no W/P?

Also I understand (not verified) that if I (or my "friend") have an International Driving licence then this is acceptable without the test.

Lastly what sort of punishment is meted out for Drivers with no Thai licence but full Foreign one?

I have a "friend" who keeps meaning to get one.... :D :D

Also I understand (not verified) that if I (or my "friend") have an International Driving license then this is acceptable without the test.

Lastly what sort of punishment is meted out for Drivers with no Thai license but full Foreign one?

Without WP you need paper stating your address from immigration.

You can convert your international driving license.

I did not have an International one, only photocopy of my EU license.

The fine should be 2000 baht, driving without driving license.

Photo sizes are 1 inch, not your normal passport size

You don't need to bring photos anymore.

For the new driving licenses they take a photo, and in five minutes the machine produces a nice credit card size license.

The new ones are in plastic and says "Driving license" and for what vehicle in ENGLISH :o

Edited by PoorSucker

I have a "friend" who keeps meaning to get one.... :D :D

Also I understand (not verified) that if I (or my "friend") have an International Driving license then this is acceptable without the test.

Lastly what sort of punishment is meted out for Drivers with no Thai license but full Foreign one?

Without WP you need paper stating your address from immigration.

You can convert your international driving license.

I did not have an International one, only photocopy of my EU license.

The fine should be 2000 baht, driving without driving license.

Photo sizes are 1 inch, not your normal passport size

You don't need to bring photos anymore.

For the new driving licenses they take a photo, and in five minutes the machine produces a nice credit card size license.

The new ones are in plastic and says "Driving license" and for what vehicle in ENGLISH :o

PoorSucker, Thanks very much!!

Gator

You need the following:

Copies of passport and Visa (must be Non-O or Non-B )

Medical certificate.

Letter from Immigration with your permanent address, or copy of WP pages 1-6 and page with last stamp.

Copy of International driving license. (if you do not have this then you will need to take the tests)

Can also work with copy of both sides of western license.

If you intend to take license for both MC and car then you will need all of the above in two copies.

You will need to be at motor office 9 AM for color blind test, reaction test and split vision test.

You need to bring your motorbike/car, they do not have any to lend out.

Good luck :o

If you have a current IDP or DL from home do you still have to take the driving test in Samui then?

Also, I believe a yellow tabien ban will work as proof of address too.

If you have a current IDP or DL from home do you still have to take the driving test in Samui then?

Also, I believe a yellow tabien ban will work as proof of address too.

No, no test necessary (but TiT)

According to the signs in motor office it must be paper from immigration or WP.

Maybe someone else has experience on bringing yellow tabien ban.

One year ago in Samui.

Old UK Driving licence (no photo)

Residence certificate from Immigration.

Non Imm Visa extended. New photos.

Doctor certificate.

No tests or anything. Told them my UK Licence covered car and motorbike and got both.

Just got the 5 year licences in Khon Kaen.

Immigration Certificate and doctors certificate. Passport. No tests. Photos now not needed.

One year ago in Samui.

Old UK Driving licence (no photo)

Residence certificate from Immigration.

Non Imm Visa extended. New photos.

Doctor certificate.

Same as above for me 5 months ago in Samui.

Got there by 9 am, handed in paperwork, upstairs for vision and reflex tests, no need to do anything else, back downstairs for license and out by 9:45. :o

hi

when getting my driving licence in khon kaen had to have the yellow tabien ban book which was a nightmare to get but then its not such a farang friendly place, usually if you have the International Driving Permit which costs about five pounds you only need do the eyesight and reaction tests

As Europeans know well any card from there is worth 5 times the experience here since you got top do driving school etc. What this license does (Thai) in a case that you have an accident you might not get paid by an insurance company if you only got your home driving license. If you drive clean you'll pretty much never need the Thai driving licence. Or has anyone been asked for one - ever (in a normal situation)?

• 2 weeks later...

As I renewed my licence for getting a 5 year licence I needed, Passpportcopy, Immigrationpaper, one for motorbike, one for car, they didn't ask me for my tambien baan luang, passphotos and than they just did it 20min. Costs me 1340 THB for the next 5 years. But that was last year on Samui. Anybody an idea whats going to be needed when I want to get the 20 year-licence?

Edited by frankman

• 2 months later...

To add some info to that already posted - I got bike and car licence last week with only a multiple entry tourist visa so it seems that Non-O and Non-B are not strictly necessary. All advice suggests that non Thai licences are fine with any hire vehicle, but not if you intend to buy your own.

One further thing to add for non Thai speakers is that it's worth taking someone who can help a little when doing the tests as the official doesn't explain anything in English. When taking the colour tests it is quite acceptable to respond in English. Alternatively learn Thai for all colours in advance !

Re medicals - the last doctor on the right going towards the office in Nathon simply looks you up and down and signs a note ! Doesn't even ask if he thinks you look well enough !

Edited by Hogboy

I got my thai licience with only my international licience and a medical paper,and have just got my 5 year one for a bike and a car and i dont have a licience for bike in the uk!ive heard also you can get a international licience from thailand so you can use it abroad which could be handy.