Overstay - Problem?

I've been bad and overstayed my 30 day stamp by 2 weeks (14 days). Tomorrow I am going to Nong Khai to visit friends and want to do a Visa run at Friendship Bridge into Laos because I will be right there (apparently Friendship Bridge visa in Laos is cheaper for Aussies too)

Will there be any issue with my overstay? I can tell them I was sick in Bkk and could not leave (which is partly true as I got the flu real bad). My Thai friend say only problem is they charge me 500b per day and that is all. So if I cough up 7000b fee will all be ok? I don't have mant Thai stamps in my new passport and have never overstayed before.

It is never 'ok' to overstay!! However, yes, you pay the 500 Baht per day fine at the border and all is fixed, there is unlikely to be a problem re-entering Thailand.

I can't speak for the Laos border, but certain Cambodia border crossings won't allow people to enter if they have an overstay stamp, obviously this would give a problem.

If you are stopped at a checkpoint on the way to the border (the BKK-Poipet buses are pulled regularly) and found on overstay you will likely be arrested and deported. For this reason it is generally not recommended to do a land crossing whilst on overstay, far better to leave by air.

Edited by Crossy

I don't believe you will have any problems just pay your fine, leave Thailand, enter Laos, return and you should get another 30 day stamp. Just present youself reasonably smart casual, apologise for the overstay (don't give any bullshit excuses - they've heard them all - just admit an oversight) and smile. You will get an overstay stamp in the passport but AFAIK that should not present a problem for future visits.

<Edit - Sh1t forgot that you will need an onward/return ticket out of Thailand within the 30 days you'll be coming back for. They apparently do enforce this rule at land crossings>

Edited by PhilHarries

Thanks for the info. I have my eticket for international travel out of Bangkok within 30 days - will this do for onward travel proof?

I am flying to Udon Thani via Nok Air, then my friend is taking me to Nong Khai. Will there be any issue at Dom Muang for domestic travel to Udon Thani? I am sure Nok Air check your passport for ID?

Edit: I found this great thread on border crossing at Nong Khai into Laos...

Edited by dr_Pat_Pong

I Never will Understand how you make Overstay, you have a Passport and you now wich Day you have to go.

Sorry but your Passport and your Visa is very Importent.

Think about sombody do it in your Country you are not Happy also.

Is it so hard to look on your oewn Passport?

Have a nice Day

If you are Sick and cant go to the Border you need a paper from Doktor or Hospital and the Immigration will accept this.

I was in Bandon hospital,Samui having my leg amputated & hip operations. My girlfriend went to immigration with a letter from the doctor explaining my situation but they wouldn't except it, saying that Bandon was a private hospital. They only excepted letters from government hospitals.

I ended up having to get an ambulance to immigration for an extension.

This was 4 years ago.

If you are Sick and cant go to the Border you need a paper from Doktor or Hospital and the Immigration will accept this.

I was in Bandon hospital,Samui having my leg amputated & hip operations. My girlfriend went to immigration with a letter from the doctor explaining my situation but they wouldn't except it, saying that Bandon was a private hospital. They only excepted letters from government hospitals.

I ended up having to get an ambulance to immigration for an extension.

This was 4 years ago.

Well I certainly wasn't in a Govt hospital...I was in bed in my hotel room...only leaving two times to see the GP to tell him his antibiotics were not working because I was not getting better.

I think I will just smile and be polite, play dumb and wave 1000b notes in front of them for overstay fee.

I can't speak for the Laos border, but certain Cambodia border crossings won't allow people to enter if they have an overstay stamp, obviously this would give a problem.

Which border crossings?

They won't allow people with overstay stamps into Cambodia from Thailand, or visa versa?

Some Cambodian border posts will not allow a person coming from Thailand into Cambodia because of overstayng in Thailand. They turn you back at the border and refuse entry. This results in being detained by Thai immigration.

Some Cambodian border posts will not allow a person coming from Thailand into Cambodia because of overstayng in Thailand. They turn you back at the border and refuse entry. This results in being detained by Thai immigration.

My 30 days expired April 10, I fly out of Svarnibhumi headed for Malaysia May 8. Do I try the visa run from Nong Khai tomorrow or do I just pay the fee when I leave May 8?

This talk of being detained by immigration becaused of refused entry into Cambodia and potentially Laos scares me.