Bank Accounts And Tourist Visas

That would be consistent with how they treated me...here in BKK...about nine months ago...

I had a business visa, but no work permit then... So I asked for and got a savings account, B1st debit card and internet banking -- just what you indicate a long-term visa would entitle one to....

It was clean and easy...no problem or complication.... The visa stamp is in one's passport, so really all they wanted to see was my passport.

If you're in touch with them, and/or working with them on this... you might also clarify regarding your post above....

In which of those situations above would the B1st debit card also be permitted... or.... would it automatically be permitted, if requested, any time they're opening a new savings account??

Yeah, your last comment is right - the debit card is always enabled with a savings account. The different 'levels' of savings account affect the 'additional services and products' that you're entittled to. Internet banking is one of these, but the debit card is not.

I get the very positive impression that after a few 'dodgy' years Bangkok Bank are making serious efforts to improve their customer services & products to foreigners.

Edited by jasreeve17

Thanks for the info and update.... You're post above is about as clear a guideline/roadmap as I've ever seen spelled out.... Anyone ought to be able to know where they stand, using those categories...

Now, if the BKK Bank folks will just follow their own procedures... branch to branch and time to time.... :o

Bangkok Bank nationwide policy (I happen to be doing some work with them at the moment on this very subject)...

That's interesting to hear. While you are at it, can you find out on the basis of what law, ministerial regulation or Bank of Thailand decree the commercial banks base their internal requirements for opening a savings account for foreigners. When I once insisted with a bank to be shown this "law" they referred to when refusing an account the only thing I got after they checked with head office was a copy of a page from the bank's internal rules, nothing official from a government ministry or department.

I am quite sure there must be some government order – possibly misinterpreted by banks – behind it all and I really would like to see a copy of it to satisfy my curiosity.

--

Maestro

If there are such regulations I'm thinking they are very loosely followed by a number of institutions.

I opened a passbook account at the Kasikorn Bank sub-branch on Pratamnak Rd in Pattaya last winter on a 30 day stamp. I also asked for their SWIFT address at the time and I am over 50 so this may have greased the wheels a little bit. Quick, efficient service and I walked out with a passbook, an ATM/debit card and online banking. She took my apartment physical address at the time, but assured me that nothing would be coming in the mail. She also gave a polite recital of some of their attractive time deposit offers and said it would be very simple to wire funds to the passbook account and open a certificate account the next day.

The passbook account only pays 3/4% interest but the ATM access is free if you use their machines as I recall.

I've just been dropping money in with each visit to date, but with 5-6 locations here in Udon it's very convenient.

Their staff was very falang friendly and spoke good english.

~WISteve

Edited by WISteve

• 1 month later...
I opened a savings account at Siam Commercial bank on 2nd road, Pattaya in December on just a 30 day arrival stamp. No problem - no questions asked.

This shows again how it varies from branch to branch. Here in Bangkok I was not only asked for a work permit, but also for a SCB customer's recommendation! And no, I didn't know, or bother to ask another SCB customer, so I deposited my funds with another bank. :o

I had a multiple entry non-immigrant O visa based on marriage, which is valid for 1 year. Bangkok bank didn't want to open an account for me.

Bangkok bank told me to ask for a letter from immigration, which I did. My wife was fined 800 baht at immigration because she didn't go to tell them I live with her within 24 hours after arriving (although I had already written our address on the arrival card). The lady at the bank said they get checked regularly by government officials and that they can't open account for foreigners without this letter. I could see on her face she was lying.

It was very clear to me they were lazy or unwilling and making up all kinds of stories. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody at the bank would have a deal with immigration.

When I brought the letter of immigration to the bank they just put it in the bin and opened the savings account (0.75% interest, with ATM) . I didn't bother to ask if they shouldn't keep this letter for those mean "government officials" she was talking about last time.

They need a certificate of residence. You can obtain that from your Embassy (without homeowner being fined for not reporting presence of a foreigner). Those on one year extensions of stay are normally the ones who use immigration.

My friend just went to the Thai Embassy in Laos for a tourist visa. The immigration official asked him for his thai bank book for evidence of funds. My friend pointed out that Thai banks will not allow a foreigner to open an account without a work permit!!!!

If a tourist cannot open a bank account in Thailand, how can he or she supply Thai immigration with a photocopy of the bank book??

What's going on??????

:o You can open a bank account in Thailand with only a tourist visa. I've done it. However it is at the discretion of the Thai bank. Sonetimes they will say you need to be a resident in Thailand or need a work permit. Other banks or large city banks (i.e. in Bangkok) will agree to open the account when the smaller branch banks won't. It is all at the choice of the bank manager.

The only guide I can give is:

1. Keep trying.....one bank may say... no, not without as work permit...another branch of the same bank or another bank may say yes.

2. The more money you bring into Thailand the more likely they are to agree to letting you open an account. So rule of thumb...open the account with as much money as you can afford. You can take it out later.

3. Your dress and behavior make a big difference in them agreeing to open an account for you. If you are rudre or loud, your chances are small. If the teller doesn't like you, forget about it.

4. You will fimd it easier if you are opening a joint account with a Thai (i.e. wife, girlfriend, etc.). Of course a joint account has it's own risks.

Aways remember This Is Thailand Sonny (TITS). (politely edited version of that phrase)