No Alcohol Again May 3 & 4

funfun

Definitely true. They simply don't check/bust Thai places!

As another example, we have the lovely people of RS promotions going round all the Farang bars/pubs/restaurants telling us we have to pay copyrights if we want to show the Europa cup football games. To be paid per television set present in your establishment, amount dependent on size of said television sets.

I forgot the exact amount, but in my place (2 big projectors and two 29"TV's) the amount was more then I would have expected to collect in extra revenue from people popping in to watch the games :o

That sounds like a scam to me. Is this because you are (supposedly) using the program to attract customers ?

If you are already paying for the service (i.e. the satellite or cable package), how can they charge you extra for watching some of the programs provided ?

And how does the size of the TV come in to it ? Shouldn't matter if you are watching an already paid for program on a 21" or a 42" TV. Are they going to start charging if you show the movies that you get with your regular cable package ? Maybe extra royalties if your TVs are set to MTV ?

Might be an idea to contact the RS Promotion people directly, as this wouldn't be the first time a scam was run by people claiming to work for some group like this.

What are they going to do next ? If I have a couple friends over to watch a sporting event (unlikely in any event), would I have to pay extra, based on number of friends and size of my TV ?

"OK, daleyboy and britmaveric, you can come to my place to watch the Japanese Wrestling channel, but because there are two of you, we'll have to watch it on the 21" screen. Can't afford to use the 32", unless each of you only watches half the show."

There's little chance of that happening, whilst the people who run the country continue to consult hocus pocus fortune tellers to shape future government policies.

I too always get a chuckle when I read in the Post about this or that Thai Prime Minister or some other sundry government official or opposition politician running off to Chiang Mai or the forests of Issan to consult with some local wise man or fortune teller (mor doo) :o

However, we must keep in mind that such weaknesses in mental faculties are not limited to Thai leaders. I see little difference in this behavior and that of "The Leader Of the Free World" fawning over and rolling out the Red Carpet for someone who on an almost daily basis says some supposedly magical incantations and then believes that a loaf of bread and a carafe of wine on the table in front of him has turned into human flesh and blood...and then sees fit to consume these items and serve them to others.

I think I like the Thai way better :D

:D There's little difference I suppose.

That sounds like a scam to me. Is this because you are (supposedly) using the program to attract customers ?

If you are already paying for the service (i.e. the satellite or cable package), how can they charge you extra for watching some of the programs provided ?

And how does the size of the TV come in to it ? Shouldn't matter if you are watching an already paid for program on a 21" or a 42" TV. Are they going to start charging if you show the movies that you get with your regular cable package ? Maybe extra royalties if your TVs are set to MTV ?

Might be an idea to contact the RS Promotion people directly, as this wouldn't be the first time a scam was run by people claiming to work for some group like this.

It's definitely not a scam and the matches will be shown free on Thai TV channels to people's homes, but pubs, bars, restaurants etc will have to pay a fee. I read the full details in the Business Post some weeks ago, but I can't retrieve it as the article is too old.

See this thread for further info

Euro 2008 TV Fees

PS You will see TCC referred to in that thread, but they are the organisation who collect the fees ( with the help of the BIB). The actual company holding the rights is RS

Edited by Mobi

It's definitely not a scam and the matches will be shown free on Thai TV channels to people's homes, but pubs, bars, restaurants etc will have to pay a fee. I read the full details in the Business Post some weeks ago, but I can't retrieve it as the article is too old.

I guess that's because they think you are going to make extra money by showing the matches, as opposed to the large groups that will gather in the homes of people that have huge TVs !

So, these royalties are just for certain events (like footie championship matches) ? What about ordinary, everyday sports (like a regular season hockey or basketball game) ? Still seems a little odd to me. I know I would hate to be continually blind-sided by all these extra fees and royalties that (primarily) farang places seem to get nailed with.

The good news is that diaperdaleyboy and britmaveric will be able to watch the Japanese Wrestling Matches at my place now (but not until I buy some "re-inforced", industrial grade furniture). :o

What are they going to do next ? If I have a couple friends over to watch a sporting event (unlikely in any event), would I have to pay extra, based on number of friends and size of my TV ?

"OK, daleyboy and britmaveric, you can come to my place to watch the Japanese Wrestling channel, but because there are two of you, we'll have to watch it on the 21" screen. Can't afford to use the 32", unless each of you only watches half the show."

Definitely not a scam.

The free to air transmissions (Thai tv channels) are only for home viewing.

The UBC (Tuevisions) subscriptions everybody has, are for home use, and when you subscribe you have to sign the TOU which clearly states you are not allowed to show any of the channels in public.

I actually inquired about the fees for a commercial license (35 room resort with a pub / restaurant), and the fees were ridiculously high ( several 100K Baht/year for the full gold package).

It's exactly the same reasoning with music. You paid the artist(s) when you bought the CD, but you are only allowed to listen to it privately. Play it in a public place, and you have to pay again for a license.

The same pretty much all over the world!

Definitely not a scam.

The free to air transmissions (Thai tv channels) are only for home viewing.

The UBC (Tuevisions) subscriptions everybody has, are for home use, and when you subscribe you have to sign the TOU which clearly states you are not allowed to show any of the channels in public.

I actually inquired about the fees for a commercial license (35 room resort with a pub / restaurant), and the fees were ridiculously high ( several 100K Baht/year for the full gold package).

It's exactly the same reasoning with music. You paid the artist(s) when you bought the CD, but you are only allowed to listen to it privately. Play it in a public place, and you have to pay again for a license.

The same pretty much all over the world!

As you say pretty much the same all over the world - why should a commecial enterprise pay the same as a domestic viewer

I worked at BSkyB when they changed from the flat fee for commecial premises to one based on their rateable value - some of the calculations for prisons and golf clubs were quite funny

.....and they would relax the ban for non-Thais.

That will never happen.

The anti farang brigade would be out in force claiming discrimination against Thais, and that as we are guests in their country we should abide by their drinking rules.

I honestly believe that some of the officials who make these rules take pleasure in annoying farangs. After all they would have to lead extremely sheltered lives if they don't realise that a vast majority of Thais can evade all these drinking restrictions, and it is the farang tourists and residents who 'suffer' the maximum inconvenience.

Definitely true. They simply don't check/bust Thai places!

As another example, we have the lovely people of RS promotions going round all the Farang bars/pubs/restaurants telling us we have to pay copyrights if we want to show the Europa cup football games. To be paid per television set present in your establishment, amount dependent on size of said television sets.

I forgot the exact amount, but in my place (2 big projectors and two 29"TV's) the amount was more then I would have expected to collect in extra revenue from people popping in to watch the games :o

When I told a Thai friend owning a pretty big place (Thai customers, who will be swamping his place to watch the games) he said he never heard of it, and they will never even visit his place to collect such monies. He also does not have music licences, and according to him if you are frequented by Thais and do not have a karaoke, music licenses are simply not an issue!

what would have happened if you just told the guys that your customers (myself for instance...) do not wish to watch the EU cup? Put up a sign "soccer free zone" at the front door and offer a haven for those who want to escape watching the grass grow....just a thought!

You had better tell your Thai friend he better get tuned in. this applies to all venues Farrang and Thai and the music people will be out in force. They will have a list with the names who have paid, and if your showing it and have not paid the copyright the fine is 35,000 Baht per TV, or big screen projector. Ouch, that could add up to a lot of Money.

Barry

"They will have a list with the names who have paid"

they are the same people who come to talk to you about, & issue the licence, and if you dont buy one they are the same people same car everthing that return and fine you, for copyright, on the music and tv!

i havent bothered with it, and i wont be showing it, its not on at reasonable times anyways & all music now is via ubc music channel!

chris