No Alcohol Again May 3 & 4

funfun

had a letter yesterday for pattaya elections

bars close 6pm sat 3 may, and not reopen until 12.00 midnight sunday may 4th!

at least no Grand prix on, but what about the football!!!!!

as always i cant read thai and hope someone can confirm this,

come on bertie, you up yet!!

chris

BKK too?

BKK don't get to vote for the Pattaya Mayor. :D

I see in today's paper Samak will call another election after he has fixed the constitution and all the roblems for his master, so get ready for another round...... :D

I'm sure they'll look to get it right in the middle of the tourist high season. :o

The bucking fastads! :D I arrive in Pattaya afternoon of the 3rd, oh well will have to go underground. :o

I know we'll soon have all the teetotal holy joes bleating on about "if you can't do without alcohol for a day and a bit you really do have a problem" but tourists are on holiday and people on holiday want to do things they maybe don't do normally. These things often include a nice afternoon meal at a beachside restaurant washed down with a couple of cold beers. Now they'll find that due to the fact that the Thai government treats all it's people like kids they also are classed as kids. Then of course there are the two evenings when they'll find the vibrant nightlife they've heard so much about aint rockin'.

Ah well, it's all been said before and for me it'll be no real problem just will have less choice of watering holes.

100% correct!

Absolutely alcohol free, and we have been noticed the local plod will check and close/fine those offending!

What stranger is, is the article in Pattaya Mail today stating that this weekend (26/04/2008 18:00 till 27/04/2008 midnight) Pattaya also has to be alcohol free because of the provincial (i.e. everywhere in Chonburi province) elections.

This was AFAIK not mentioned on the leaflet distributed by our local boys in brown!

Source: http://www.pattayamail.com/current/news.shtml#hd6

This WOULD interfere with F1!

100% correct!

Absolutely alcohol free, and we have been noticed the local plod will check and close/fine those offending!

What stranger is, is the article in Pattaya Mail today stating that this weekend (26/04/2008 18:00 till 27/04/2008 midnight) Pattaya also has to be alcohol free because of the provincial (i.e. everywhere in Chonburi province) elections.

This was AFAIK not mentioned on the leaflet distributed by our local boys in brown!

"What stranger is, is the article in Pattaya Mail today stating that this weekend (26/04/2008 18:00 till 27/04/2008 midnight) Pattaya also has to be alcohol free"

maybe for that its coffee cups???? or Mugs in our case!!!!!

Note that in Pattaya, bars are supposed to be closed on the 26th and 27th of April as well (Chon Buri Govenor's election ?). A bunch of us are taking a motorcycle trip upcountry as a result.

My buddy tells me he thinks he can re-open after 6pm on the 27th.

100% correct!

Does anyone has a list of the days this year that booze will be available?Can't be a very long list I guess.

With all the "dry" days in Thailand these days, it will soon become the preferred vacation and retirement destination of AA members worldwide. Surely will also attract lots of MICE business from AA chapters around the world too :o

Personally, I am not an alcohol drinker but I have no objections to others who drink socially. Maybe at some point, all these silly no-alcohol sale days will start to affect tourist numbers (but I don't think so) and they would relax the ban for non-Thais.

Personally, I am not an alcohol drinker but I have no objections to others who drink socially. Maybe at some point, all these silly no-alcohol sale days will start to affect tourist numbers (but I don't think so) and they would relax the ban for non-Thais.

That's inferring that Thais will start to employ some cause and effect analysis which would be a giant leap forward for the country.

That's inferring that Thais will start to employ some cause and effect analysis which would be a giant leap forward for the country.

There's little chance of that happening, whilst the people who run the country continue to consult hocus pocus fortune tellers to shape future government policies. :o

Edited by mrtoad

The analysis would be flawed for various reasons. Once they noticed a (significant) drop in revenues, the natural response (in Thailand) would be to simply raise the prices ! Just like they did with the Elite Card, and what a couple of (failed) club owners tried in Pattaya.

No Customers in your establishment ? Raise prices.

No one buying your product ? Raise prices.

Sales volumes dropping ? Raise prices !

I don't really see what the problem is with all the "dry" days here anyways. Surely our illustrious (local) members, who've shown themselves quite capable of (usually) being able to navigate a computer, could simply buy some of their favourite beverages and spend a night (or two) at home once in awhile. It's not that hard, and saves money too. Can't believe all these people that can't seem to survive if the bars close for a day once (or twice) a month. Sounds like the end of the world sometimes.

Thank the F%^&* I saw this thread - I was about to book the Amari Orchard for 2 nights on the 2nd and 3rd for my first visit to Pattaya since August 06

Looks like Bangkok for the weekend instead now

Stevermangino - looks like Pattaya is off next weekend for me :o

There's little chance of that happening, whilst the people who run the country continue to consult hocus pocus fortune tellers to shape future government policies.

I too always get a chuckle when I read in the Post about this or that Thai Prime Minister or some other sundry government official or opposition politician running off to Chiang Mai or the forests of Issan to consult with some local wise man or fortune teller (mor doo) :o

However, we must keep in mind that such weaknesses in mental faculties are not limited to Thai leaders. I see little difference in this behavior and that of "The Leader Of the Free World" fawning over and rolling out the Red Carpet for someone who on an almost daily basis says some supposedly magical incantations and then believes that a loaf of bread and a carafe of wine on the table in front of him has turned into human flesh and blood...and then sees fit to consume these items and serve them to others.

I think I like the Thai way better :D

coffee/tea mug time again? :o

No need for that mate, just cross over Sukhumvit where all the people who are eligible to vote live, you should be able to buy all the beer you need in the local 'mom and pop' shops.

well as a update, as far as im aware all/most bars soi 6 open today & tommorow no probs, however one girl called the bib last night and they said shut as in the paper article monty printed, but we still havent officially bin told!!!

we ve got a disco coming, theres formula 1 quailifying and loads of football and a free bbq and im sat here 9 hours away wondering whats going on?

chris

The simple solution is to get so smashed tonight, that the mere thought of a beer tomorrow would induce uncontrolled vomiting.

I will report back on my experiment tomorrow (evening). :D

this strategy might have worked for me.... :o

.....and they would relax the ban for non-Thais.

That will never happen.

The anti farang brigade would be out in force claiming discrimination against Thais, and that as we are guests in their country we should abide by their drinking rules.

I honestly believe that some of the officials who make these rules take pleasure in annoying farangs. After all they would have to lead extremely sheltered lives if they don't realise that a vast majority of Thais can evade all these drinking restrictions, and it is the farang tourists and residents who 'suffer' the maximum inconvenience.

That will never happen.

The anti farang brigade would be out in force claiming discrimination against Thais, and that as we are guests in their country we should abide by their drinking rules.

I honestly believe that some of the officials who make these rules take pleasure in annoying farangs. After all they would have to lead extremely sheltered lives if they don't realise that a vast majority of Thais can evade all these drinking restrictions, and it is the farang tourists and residents who 'suffer' the maximum inconvenience.

Definitely true. They simply don't check/bust Thai places!

As another example, we have the lovely people of RS promotions going round all the Farang bars/pubs/restaurants telling us we have to pay copyrights if we want to show the Europa cup football games. To be paid per television set present in your establishment, amount dependent on size of said television sets.

I forgot the exact amount, but in my place (2 big projectors and two 29"TV's) the amount was more then I would have expected to collect in extra revenue from people popping in to watch the games :o

When I told a Thai friend owning a pretty big place (Thai customers, who will be swamping his place to watch the games) he said he never heard of it, and they will never even visit his place to collect such monies. He also does not have music licences, and according to him if you are frequented by Thais and do not have a karaoke, music licenses are simply not an issue!

That will never happen.

Definitely true. They simply don't check/bust Thai places!

As another example, we have the lovely people of RS promotions going round all the Farang bars/pubs/restaurants telling us we have to pay copyrights if we want to show the Europa cup football games. To be paid per television set present in your establishment, amount dependent on size of said television sets.

I forgot the exact amount, but in my place (2 big projectors and two 29"TV's) the amount was more then I would have expected to collect in extra revenue from people popping in to watch the games :o

When I told a Thai friend owning a pretty big place (Thai customers, who will be swamping his place to watch the games) he said he never heard of it, and they will never even visit his place to collect such monies. He also does not have music licences, and according to him if you are frequented by Thais and do not have a karaoke, music licenses are simply not an issue!

what would have happened if you just told the guys that your customers (myself for instance...) do not wish to watch the EU cup? Put up a sign "soccer free zone" at the front door and offer a haven for those who want to escape watching the grass grow....just a thought!