Air Asia To / From Kl

I'm looking at flying AA through KL where I will have to make a connecting flight.

I've read many posts about AA being late leaving LOS on various routes although personally have never had a late departure with them.

So I was wondering what about their reliability on departing on time from LOS to KL and coming back, can any of you that make the trip regularly give me some advice.

Thanks.

Don't do that route any more but all the times I flew AA KL-BKK they were on time.

If you are all AirAsia flights you will be okay because they are all in the LCCT at KLIA but if not you may find you arrive/depart from the main terminal so will have to factor in a transfer to LCCT. Distance is about 20km but I have no idea about the frequency of the busses.

Hi there PP. I travel the OOL (Gold Coast, Australia)-KUL-BKK route every couple of weeks. Air Asia is becoming very focussed on arriving EARLY at destinations, so it leaves early. Example: The 3.15pm BKK to KUL flight gate opened at Suvarnabhumi at 2.00pm. The gate was closed at 2.50pm. We started taxiing at 2.55pm. Wheels up and on our way by 3.00pm. This is a full 15 minutes before advertised departure time. Needless to say - we landed 20 minutes early at KUL.

Peter

Delayed departures used to be a real issue with AA but they have really improved their act on this score. During their first couple years of operation, at least 50% of my flights with them our of Bangkok were delayed 15 to 30 minutes. However, for all my flights for the last couple years, they have been on time. This is almost guaranteed if you are on one of the first couple flights of the day on a particular run.

If your connecting flight is another AA one, then as mentioned, all AA flights use the low cost terminal (a real dump) but your baggage transfers and check-in are easy. However, keep in mind that if you will have to retrieve any check-ed luggage and then check-in for your ongoing flight (AA is a point-to-point carrier so they will not check you or your bags through to your final destination even on another AA connecting flight) so allow at least 1-1/5 to 2 hours between flights.

Thanks guys.

I'll have about 5 hours between scehduled arrival at KL and scheduled departure from KL so given I have to clear Immigration etc. and check in 2 hours before should still have enough ime for a minor delay.

Coming back I'm stopping over in KL, how do I get into the city from the low cost terminal and back out to it again?

Never used it but there is an AirAsia bus service between LCCT and KL Sentral. Otherwise out the terminal turn left and there's an official taxi desk, fare is around 80 Ringgit (but this was a year or more back).

5 hours at LCCT will be a drag, suggest you spend as much as possible land side where there are more facilities (jonniebkk analysis of the LCCT is correct - a dump).

It's hardly a dump, you guys need to experience a 6 hour transit stop at Port Morseby, now THAT'S a fkn dump! :o

Point taken - we can always come up with worse like Ninoy Aquino (Manila) - but the LCCT was the reason I quit using AirAsia. It's not so bad if you stay ground side as late as possible but air side there's nothing but that grotty little cafe. But at the end of the day you get what you pay for and if flying cheaply is your aim you just have to put up with certain discomforts.

A couple of slightly O/T, but related, questions if I may..

How long to allow for a transfer from the LCCT to the main terminal in KUL?

The one bag carry on policy. Does this mean a carry on bag and a laptop, or is it strictly one bag only?

Thanks for any replies.

They dont have delays anymore, they have RE TIMED flights instead.

Waited 5 hours for the Re Timed flight a few weeks back from KL to BKK, think we were keeping everybody up, 00:40 we left in the end. I am begining to dislike AA a lot, they are very quick to charge for a couple of kilos over weight and are now charging for checked in baggage, why not be honest and put the fares up instead of trying to stealth charge their way to profit.

Coming back I'm stopping over in KL, how do I get into the city from the low cost terminal and back out to it again?

Not really sure what you mean here..."stopping over in KL." Are you staying overnite or just during a turnaround visa-run type thing?

If it's just a turnaround trip and you only have 5 hours, you really don't have enough time to go into the the city. The travel options into town are taxi, rail, or bus. KUL airport (adjacent to the LCCT) has one of those train links like HKG. It's fast and convenient and takes about 30 minutes to the city center station. However, you have to allow a few minutes to get from LCCT to the main KUL terminal and then a possible wait.

Taxi or bus (AA has shuttle to KL Sentral for like RM 12-15) takes about 1 hour. Round trip would be around 2 hours. Plus, the Sentral area of KL is not near much so have to allow more travel time to get anywhere to see anything.

Your best bet is probably to just take the free shuttle bus to the main KUL terminal and hang out there for a few hours and then return to check-in for your return AA flightl. Main terminal is architecturally interesting, has some shops to peruse (unfortunately most are in the departure lounge), and more food options than the LCCT.

Edited by jonniebkk

How long to allow for a transfer from the LCCT to the main terminal in KUL?

The one bag carry on policy. Does this mean a carry on bag and a laptop, or is it strictly one bag only?

The terminals are very close...about 10 mins transfer time.

Click here to see the KUL airport...the LCCT/AA terminal is down at the bottom on the left. The main terminal is at the center at the top and that "cross" looking building on the center-right. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=h&z=15

Pretty cool bird's-eye view of the Sepang Formula One racing circuit just to the right of the airport.

I have had one carry-on suitcase and a separate shoulder notebook bag (as well as a medium-sized camera case as well on occasion) and never had a problem. The most recent was a month ago on a trip to Penang so I doubt anything has changed in the interim. They would never,IMO, count a notebook case/bag against the baggage carry-on rule as business travelers would revolt.

Edited by jonniebkk

jonniebkk, thanks for the info on the shuttle bus to KUL, I'v got a 5 hour layover outbound but coming back I'll be stopping in KL for a few nights. I won't be trying to get into KL and back on the 5 hour layover as I'm allowing 1 hour to clear Immigration and 2 hours to check in for the next flight so I'm down to 2 only hours 'free time'

Everybody elses flights will be fine and on time EXCEPT the one your about to take and especially if its a tight connecting flight. Called Murphys law :o

Yep, you're right, so I decided to fly to SIN, then on to CGK with a major airline. I think the free beers and cocktails will make up for the couple extra 

hours of added time.