Taxi Driver Returns Bt500,000 To Japanese Businessman

george

Taxi driver returns Bt500,000 to Japanese businessman

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver Friday returned Bt500,000 to a Japanese businessman who had left it in the back of his cab.

The passenger forgot his bag containing US dollars, Japanese yen and Vietnamese dong, a mobile phone and passport.

Driver Rung Wantumma, 34, had FM 91 Traffic Radio announce the discovery.

Owner Takechi Saito turned up at the station to reclaim the bag, hailing his driver's honesty.

-- The Nation 2008-04-25

Taxi driver returns Bt500,000 to Japanese businessman

BANGKOK: -- A taxi driver Friday returned Bt500,000 to a Japanese businessman who had left it in the back of his cab.

The passenger forgot his bag containing US dollars, Japanese yen and Vietnamese dong, a mobile phone and passport.

Driver Rung Wantumma, 34, had FM 91 Traffic Radio announce the discovery.

Owner Takechi Saito turned up at the station to reclaim the bag, hailing his driver's honesty.

-- The Nation 2008-04-25

But no mention of a reward. Hailing someone's honesty isn't going to put any rice in his bowl tonight.

Publicity stunt following tourist murders?

Oh your so cynical. That could never happen, could it........................?

What, the (publicity) stunts or the (tourist) murders ? :o

(both happen with a regular frequency it seems, but not much worse than many other places)

I perused this thread with the sole intent of seeing how TV posters could twist it to put Thailand and it's people in a negative light, as that seems to be the favorite pastime of most, and I wasn't disappointed. Thank you Tony.

I perused this thread with the sole intent of seeing how TV posters could twist it to put Thailand and it's people in a negative light, as that seems to be the favorite pastime of most, and I wasn't disappointed. Thank you Tony.

Well put, CSS.

Unfortunately tud is no longer with us, so I await Padthaiguy's response with interest.

But no mention of a reward. Hailing someone's honesty isn't going to put any rice in his bowl tonight.

Honesty is it's own reward - or so I was told when growing up. Maybe the Tourist Authority will present this honest man with a pretty pretty certificate.

Definitly a farce. TAT publicity stunt.

I read in yesterdays Post the TAT is preparing a ceromony for this "honest" taxi driver.

They are gonna milk this one....

Seems they are tiring of the bad press.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=bangkok+t...-8&fp_ip=TH

What they need to do is put in a system that eliminates the professional scammers from the tourist transport business.

There is actually an incedible amount of super honest people of the utmost integrity in Thailand, probably at least double(percentage wise) that of all western countries........

.............but infortunately, because there is so many nice people in thailand, there is a absolutely obscene amount of thieves/grifters/bludgers/scum just waiting to prey on all those nice thai's......probably at least double (percentage wise) the amount of any western country.

The honest and integral man, or woman, is far tougher and extemely more empowered than the filth of this world.....good on you mr taxi driver, you are a real person.

There is actually an incedible amount of super honest people of the utmost integrity in Thailand, probably at least double(percentage wise) that of all western countries........

.............but infortunately, because there is so many nice people in thailand, there is a absolutely obscene amount of thieves/grifters/bludgers/scum just waiting to prey on all those nice thai's......probably at least double (percentage wise) the amount of any western country.

The honest and integral man, or woman, is far tougher and extemely more empowered than the filth of this world.....good on you mr taxi driver, you are a real person.

I've heard many reports on FM100 (jor sor roi) of cab drivers reporting stuff left in the back and being put in touch with anxious (and absent-minded) passengers. It's amazing what people - Thai and foreigners - leave in taxis. There are plenty of honest people here, and plenty who just find it easier to be dishonest, same as where I come from.

Really?

Same incredible amount of people who voted in a government who they knew was made mostly of cheats, murderers and thieves? :o

I know a few honest ones myself, but don't push it.

I have a bridge for sale if you're interested...? :D

:o

The point being the fact that a taxi driver returns cash to a customer who mistakenly left it would hardly rate a news story outside Thailand. This is Thai journalism telling the world 'We are honest!'. The story tellers seem a little suprised themselves.

This is Thai journalism telling the world 'We are honest!'.

absolutely, the "we are nicer and different" syndrome... :D

i wonder how many suitcases, mobile phones or other items are not returned by taxi drivers.... :o are those ever reported...? :D

Edited by Payboy

i wonder how many suitcases, mobile phones or other items are not returned by taxi drivers.... :o are those ever reported...? :D

Heck, even customers have disappeared in taxis. :D

On numerous occasions I have left a fart in a taxi. They are nearly always returned by the next taxi driver. Such an honest bunch! :D

Strange how a story like this crops up about every 2 months??

Taxi driver returns 1 million etc..

Funny? Why was the dick carrying in a 'bag' such large amounts of money???

Why is every Thai gal who has a bag snatched, always have such large sums of money, and amount of gold chains in them and not on them???

Taxi group news bites, to let you know not all taxi drivers are dishonest! If they will take you and only if its against the heavy traffic! I am sure they are honest! At least the dozen or so who have driven me!

The other 300,000+ I am not sure!