Overstay - one day

I have a question about overstay.  I had to mail my passport back to USA for another tourist visa.  Long story short; my friend returning it back to Bangkok was delayed a few extra days.  Now I will be overstayed one day when he arrives (arrives 11pm on the stamp expiration date).  I was planning on going to the border before the stamp expires - expires 31 July - but I don't really want to chance it while being in the "middle of nowhere" at the border.  I read that certain Immigration posts will give one day overstay but it isn't a chance I want to take.  Would it be better to go to the BKK Immigration office and request a 10 day extension (I have a 30 day stamp) or chance it at the border with a one-day overstay.  Thanks for your input.

To be in a foreign country without a passport is a very dangerous thing to do & I think illegal (can anyone confirm this)

You could have gone to any of the border points that issue visa & got a new one by yourself. (I know I sound a little preachy but you really do not want to get caught in thailand without a visa & def not without a passport)

Your best bet is as soon as your pal arrives go straight to the nearest border town & pay the 1 day overstay fine of 200 baht. The immigration in thailand will not give you a overstay with out your passport anyway & as has been discussed in other threads, if you have overstay it is best to go out of the country & deal with it at the border rather than trying to get it resolved at a city imm office, as they may feel inclined to imprison you & charge you in court, this is unlikely but does happen. If you are stopped in the street by the police with only one day overstay they will react very harshly & if you have no passpor either you will be arrested & probably charged with being an illegal immigrant. If that happens I don't know what will happen to you.

I don't want to scare you but I'm telling you this as so many peole do not realise the severity of this situation (as I once did not) & being American will not help you in anyway.

Stay out of sight for a few days, meet your friend & get it sorted the very next day, that way you will have no problem & will be allowed to reenter thailand with no trouble.

All the best.

I have a question about overstay.  I had to mail my passport back to USA for another tourist visa.  Long story short; my friend returning it back to Bangkok was delayed a few extra days.  

Don't you know that's it's illegal for someone else to carry your passport through an immigration check point. It's also illegal to obtain visas by mail/courier when you are in Thailand.

c89109

I agree with all the other replies.

But I really do not understand what you have written.

You say you are apllying for new Tourist Visa.

A Tourist Visa Sticker has a Validity of 90 days during which you have to get an Immigration Entry Rubber Stamp in your passport which will be valid for 60 days.

You say the stamp expires on 31st July.

What Stamp is that?

Do you mean the 90 day validity of the

Tourist Visa Sticker expires that date?

Have you been without your passport for 3 months?

How do you intend to get the Immigration Entry Rubber Stamp? If you are in Thailand already?

Then at the end you say you have a 30 day stamp.

What is that? An Immigration Entry Stamp?

If you could clarify - maybe there are other options.

Are you in Thailand? Do you have USA passport?

It sounded to me as if his current stay ends on July 31 (which is the 30 day additional to his current visa).  Instead of doing a legal border crossing and getting a new visa and return he sent his passport to the US to obtain a new tourist visa but the passport will not arrive back here until after July 31.  Thus a possible easy border run is going to be an overstay and thus he has a real chance that immigration authorities are going to see and realize that this unused visa was issued while he was here in Thailand.

I had to mail my passport back to USA for another tourist visa.  

I know this is illegal, but it seems a lot of people are doing it successfully. Does this mean that the consulate in the US or wherever doesn't bother to check for entry/exit stamps? How risky do other members think this is? And what would happen if the consulate noticed you don't have a stamp saying you left thailand and shortly after, entered the US?

Follow-up information:

1.  I was denied a tourist visa in Singapore in June because they won't give a second tourist visa.

2.  Arrived back in Thailand with no visa, just 30 day stamp that expires 31 July.

3.  Contacted my Consulate in USA, they said I can mail my passport to them for another tourist visa.  They would mail it back to Thailand to me.

4.  I asked my friend to transport my passport here because I thought it would be faster, but he was delayed.