Schools For Thais In Bangkok?

motoyen

My girlfriend has her ป๖ education. She wants to finish her schooling and get her ม๖ certificate. Is there a program here in Bangkok similar to the GED program in the US? Or are there private schools that specialize in helping Thais continue with their education?

Yes - there are adult education programs in Bangkok (and outside as well) to finish M3 (Grade 9) or M6 (Grade 12) education. My wife was unwillingly pulled out of school by her grandmother after Primary 6, to go work.

After we started dating, many years ago, she wanted to finish her high school. She attended classes once a week on Sunday, each class lasting about 4 hours. It took 2 years for her to get M3, and another 2 years to get the M6. That is the standard program. It is very inexpensive - you just pay for books, materials, and several field trips.

I have heard that if a person is highly motivated and can self-teach then you can get the same qualifications by passing competency tests in Math, Science, English, Thai Language, and Thai Social Studies (art, music, history, geography, geology, civics, etc.). These tests are not easy.

The program is called 'gor-sor-nor' abbreviated, but the true name is การศึกษานอกโรงเรียน. Bangkok is divided into regions. There is a government office for each region of BKK. When my wife started, we lived in Saphan Kwai area and were in the Chatuchak Region. The classes were held near the Mor Chit bus terminal, and the main office was on Pahol Yothin Soi 37/1.

As I recall there is an office around Ekkamai/Prakhanong and one around Sathorn/Rama III. I assume there are other offiices as well. I had my wife look around, but we can't find any phone numbers.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Hey way2muchcoffee thanks for the info! We actually live near Saphan Kwai as well, in Lumpini Place on Thanon Pradipat. So the program your wife went with was once a week and took 4 years to complete? Do you happen to recall the total cost? Is this different than the gov't sponsored one? If you come across any phone numbers or school names please pass them along.

Thanks

Anthony

My wife went through the government sponsored one. There were no tuition costs, only books, materials, uniform, and field trips. Total costs were on the order of 6,000 to 8,000 bt/year.

Be aware that the quality of instruction is very poor, and the expectations of knowledge gained are rather high. Nobody really fails the program as long as they attend most of the classes and do all the homework. The instructors will 'help' good students pass the tests. The actual knowledge gained won't be anywhere near the equivalent of a proper M6 certification, but in the end she'll have the diploma. The diploma is what is necessary for employment.

Edited by way2muchcoffee