Hail To The Cool Season

Savage

The rainy season might keep the trees green but the cool season is what it's all about.

The next few months are by far the nicest to be in Thailand.

Waheeeeyyy  :D

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Too early to call it 'the cool season' now, in my experience :o

The rainy season might keep the trees green but the cool season is what it's all about.

The next few months are by far the nicest to be in Thailand.

Waheeeeyyy  :D

Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Too early to call it 'the cool season' now, in my experience :D

Too right Ajarn, especially with this bird flu going around and 180 kph BMW's whizzing around. :D

But this year is very odd weatherwise anyways.........the SW monsoon has weakened two moths earlier than normal and it may not be "cool" yet in the true sense of the word, but this premature end to the rainy season is a worry. It'll mean I suspect, unless there's a sudden turn around now and some late rains fall, that rice yields will be down this year (drought in the fields) and that rivers, reservoirs and aquifers will be depleted far earlier than normal. This'll be bad news for everyone, but farmer's especially next year when drought kicks in. This'll knock on to all sorts of areas of the economy in the middle to long term. :o

Don't know where ol' Kev is these days, but he'll be glad of all those rain storage "ong" at his house next year, I predict. :D

Where are you located? In the North, it's ending pretty much on schedule, with Sept. being a heavy-rainfall month...Last year, and the year before, I seem to remember rain well into November...That was unusual to have so much, so late.

October should have some rain for us in the North, but so far not a drop in the central CM area...

I love the rainy season, and I lament its passing every year...

No complaints about the heat please... come to England it's bloody freezing...  :D

totster  -_-

:o:D:D:D Som nam naaaaaaaaa!

It's currently 80 F in Phuket, not much rain I think (slept a lot today) and quiet. After the rain it's noisy as he.ll with all the frogs getting excited.

Oh-oh, must be raining somewhere - UBC has just died. "Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible". Pity, why can't we get "good" service instead of "normal" :wub:

No complaints about the heat please... come to England it's bloody freezing...  :wub:

totster  :(

:o:D:D:D Som nam naaaaaaaaa!

It's currently 80 F in Phuket, not much rain I think (slept a lot today) and quiet. After the rain it's noisy as he.ll with all the frogs getting excited.

Oh-oh, must be raining somewhere - UBC has just died. "Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible". Pity, why can't we get "good" service instead of "normal" -_-

Oh... laughing at my misfortune eh..... :)

no promplem only 31 days or 744 hours or 44640 Minutes or 2678400 seconds till I can get out of this miserable, grey skies, wet and windy, freezing cold hole.... not that i'm counting ..... :D

totster :)

Where are you located? In the North, it's ending pretty much on schedule, with Sept. being a heavy-rainfall month...Last year, and the year before, I seem to remember rain well into November...That was unusual to have so much, so late.

October should have some rain for us in the North, but so far not a drop in the central CM area...

Central Isaan. Normally we figure on the rainy seasoning finishing in early Nov, but last year it finished in mid-Oct and that was bloody early. But this year is freaky - early Sept there was hardly any rain and then since about Sept. 20th it's been blue skies and a dry, dry wind from the East. The water's been sucked dry in the paddies (nowt to do with the Irish) already, before the rice is fully in seed, and the rivers have fallen to levels we'd normally see in late Nov/early Dec. :o

I repeat : prepare for a big drought coming early next year to Thailand. Don't forget- you read it here first on the Thai Visa Oracle service! :D

Central Isaan. Normally we figure on the rainy seasoning finishing in early Nov, but last year it finished in mid-Oct and that was bloody early. But this year is freaky - early Sept there was hardly any rain and then since about Sept. 20th it's been blue skies and a dry, dry wind from the East. The water's been sucked dry in the paddies (nowt to do with the Irish) already, before the rice is fully in seed, and the rivers have fallen to levels we'd normally see in late Nov/early Dec. :o

I repeat : prepare for a big drought coming early next year to Thailand. Don't forget- you read it here first on the Thai Visa Oracle service! :D

To countinue on the reginal weather reports :D

Central plain

Its been a good year for farming (here), lots of early rain for the maize, but not so much that the land gets water loged. Not so much late rain but it has rained twice since our second crop has gone in (sun flowers) which I am told is plenty.

Wet season usually ends mid/end Oct here but it does seem to be just about over now. All told I would say this has been a fairly dry wet season (good for my cows) and would'nt be supprised if plachon was right about next year.