Future Exchange Rates

Predictions

December 31st 2008: GBP= 82.5

December 31st 2008: $US= 34.5

December 31st 2009: GBP= 108

December 31st 2009: $US= 36

Not that I'm complaining, as I'd love to see rates like this, but just what dramatic Thai disaster or change do you forsee, to result in the Baht weakening by this much ?

The coup, and subsequent return of democracy under Samak, had very little effect, the strong price of rice means a strengthening Baht if anything. The high price of oil-imports is already in today's numbers. Perhaps a collapse in tourism & exports ?

Predictions

December 31st 2008: GBP= 82.5

December 31st 2008: $US= 34.5

December 31st 2009: GBP= 108

December 31st 2009: $US= 36

Not that I'm complaining, as I'd love to see rates like this, but just what dramatic Thai disaster or change do you forsee, to result in the Baht weakening by this much ?

The coup, and subsequent return of democracy under Samak, had very little effect, the strong price of rice means a strengthening Baht if anything. The high price of oil-imports is already in today's numbers. Perhaps a collapse in tourism & exports ?

If you look at my predictions; there is not such a dramatic change in the Baht=US$ rate, but my whole prediction suggests a dramatic US$-GBP change over the next two years.

I predict $US=2.40 GBP 31st December 2008 falling to 3.00 GBP by 31st December 2009. Don't forget just a few months ago GBP was 2.12 intra-day. I am confident that by year end it will be around 2.40

If you look at my predictions; there is not such a dramatic change in the Baht=US$ rate, but my whole prediction suggests a dramatic US$-GBP change over the next two years.

I predict $US=2.40 GBP 31st December 2008 falling to 3.00 GBP by 31st December 2009. Don't forget just a few months ago GBP was 2.12 intra-day. I am confident that by year end it will be around 2.40

I think you may got got your $US & GBP accidentally reversed, there, but thanks for the clarification.

That's quite a fall in the $US, given that Sterling interest-rates still have some considerable room to fall, while US rates must surely now be much closer to the bottom ? I'm not that bullish for Sterling, or the UK-economy under current management, myself.

Glad to see that almost all the forecasts so far are for an increase in dollar value. This ratio has little to do with the inherent value of the Thai economy, much more to do with the perceived weakness of the American economy, especially by currency speculators. Getting out of Iraq would help, and both Obama and Clinton would do that, but it would take longer than a year from now.

Please excuse my pedantry about the unneeded apostrophe. When in doubt, throw out apostrophes.

Well it would seem to the only tow things that can change the baht exchange rate, would be the dollar going up. Or anothere cahnges of management here.

The Pound not a clue they seem to be having thier own problems these days

End of this year 34 if we are lucky.

Truth is I don't think even the experts could give an educated guess these days. So many things changing day to day.

How much did the Chinese marke lose last week? That is one of the biggies to carry the world through this mess. I hink it will still grow, but not a the levels we have seen.

Inflation seems to be rampant all over Asia thse days.

World screaming for rice, but not at Thai prices. People are buying from the worlds third largest producer Vietnam, prices are better.

I guess the only time this can really be answered is at the end of the year.

One of the zillions of "experts" on this subject, Royal Bank of Scotland predicts:

Q4 2008 USD/GBP = 1.99

Q4 2009 USD/GBP = 1.89

Given the today view, I cannot disagree that their numbers are probably of the right magnitude.

As I'm looking to buy a house and land around November, I'm hoping that the rate will rise to at least 65baht to the £ but like many things in life there isn't much we can do about it so we'll just have to wait and see.