Koi And Goldfish Mixed

Anyone know if mixing the two in a pond causes any problems, my water isn't always clear and the carp seem to spend most time at the bottom, only see them at feeding times whereas Goldfish being near surface dwellers would usually be seen most of the time. I do have a few Archer fish which seem to get on very well with the carp in the pond, my wife would also like to put some Guppies in too but I feel they'll become carp fodder - any experiences anyone.

• 8 months later...
No problem mixing koi and goldfish.

Probably be ok with enough guppies too. Some will get eaten but they breed so far you should be ok. Just make sure there are some plants for them to hide and breed in.

Goldfish and koi together are not a problem, anyway if your pond water is not that clear as to be able to see the koi what is your water turnover rate ie; through the filter and pump, is your lack of clarity due to green water or just plain murky old stuff, guppies are ok but could depend on your filter system, possibly getting sucked into the system but more info would be interesting as to your setup.

Probably be ok with enough guppies too. Some will get eaten but they breed so far you should be ok. Just make sure there are some plants for them to hide and breed in.

Goldfish and koi together are not a problem, anyway if your pond water is not that clear as to be able to see the koi what is your water turnover rate ie; through the filter and pump, is your lack of clarity due to green water or just plain murky old stuff, guppies are ok but could depend on your filter system, possibly getting sucked into the system but more info would be interesting as to your setup.

Pumps, filters, If the pond is balanced properly you don't need any of those things. I got 1000 odd Tilapia, 20 odd Koy and goldfish also 50 or so guppies living together in peace and harmony.

Pumps, filters, If the pond is balanced properly you don't need any of those things. I got 1000 odd Tilapia, 20 odd Koy and goldfish also 50 or so guppies living together in peace and harmony.

Rimmer you make a sweeping statement that "if the pond is balanced properly then you don't need any of those things" for a start just how much gallonage have you got for your 20 Koi, forget about your 1000 tilapia as they certainly do not require the same care as koi, being hybrids they most certainly do need filters and pumps unless your pond is several rai in size explain about your idea of balance as having studied Koi breeding in Japan for a year I cannot accept such a sweeping statement, Japanese are acknowledged as the world experts and would certainly disagree with you.

Rimmer you make a sweeping statement that "if the pond is balanced properly then you don't need any of those things" for a start just how much gallonage have you got for your 20 Koi, forget about your 1000 tilapia as they certainly do not require the same care as koi, being hybrids they most certainly do need filters and pumps unless your pond is several rai in size explain about your idea of balance as having studied Koi breeding in Japan for a year I cannot accept such a sweeping statement, Japanese are acknowledged as the world experts and would certainly disagree with you.

Well if you don't believe it then jump on your bike and come see for yourself. Koi is a very hardy fish, surely you learnt that in your year long study?

Well if you don't believe it then jump on your bike and come see for yourself. Koi is a very hardy fish, surely you learnt that in your year long study?

Hi

I also have several hundred Tilapia living with a couple of dozen Koi. I am used to seeing Koi kept in the UK in filtered crystal clear water, however I suspect this is a ploy to maintain a ridiculous price system of sometimes thousands of pounds for specimen fish.

My experience with 10 baht Koi bought in the local market that have grown to over 35cm in less than 2 years is that they are extremely hardy hooligans who love stirring up the mud and bully all the tilapia at feeding time!

TBWG :o

edit: mine live in a non filtered pond just dug in the garden, they are also very tolerant of smaller gouramis and other small fish and baby fish which all survive quite well.

Edited by TBWG

Hi

I also have several hundred Tilapia living with a couple of dozen Koi. I am used to seeing Koi kept in the UK in filtered crystal clear water, however I suspect this is a ploy to maintain a ridiculous price system of sometimes thousands of pounds for specimen fish.

My experience with 10 baht Koi bought in the local market that have grown to over 35cm in less than 2 years is that they are extremely hardy hooligans who love stirring up the mud and bully all the tilapia at feeding time!

TBWG :o

edit: mine live in a non filtered pond just dug in the garden, they are also very tolerant of smaller gouramis and other small fish and baby fish which all survive quite well.

See pics post-24662-1231081650_thumb.jpg post-24662-1231081609_thumb.jpg

TBWG :D

Rimmer you still did'nt answer my question of how big your pond is and I don't disbelieve you, if your pond is a decent size then filtration may not be required but the Japanese keep fish in what they call mud ponds to allow them to attain good colour and size and then only usually for six months tops.